Basecamp suggestions near Bristol,TN?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportbiker2000

Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning a "tow and go" ride down to the southern Appalachians area next year and was wondering if anyone had thoughts on a nice base camp area/place to stay near the Bristol,TN area, say not too far off I-81. I am thinking an MC friendly lodge with a bar/restaurant that might have some nightlife/females to look at at night. :D Any recommendations would be appreciated. We will only be there 4 nights so even a convenient restuarant/motel area would work. Bristol seems like a good centralized point to hi the Roan Mountain,Hungry Mother SP, Shady Valley, Mountain city,Boone area and Deals Gap while being within a days drive from northern NJ.

Thanks!

Joe from Clifton,NJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Nearest females and night life are in Atlanta. :rolleyes:

Bristol, Kingsport, Johnson City are part of the Bible belt. Unless a lots changed since I lived up there (and maybe it has) most night life focused on family. They used to roll up the sidewalks at 7 pm.

I've stayed here and there was plenty of good parking for a vehicle and trailer. If there's any nightlife in the area, you will either find it here, or the concierge will know about it. When I was last there it was very nice (probably September 07).

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/tric...vention-center/

Not a whole lot available to meet your requirements...........in that particular area. There are a few nice hotels in the Boone, it's a college town........so maybe you could get lucky staying in the Boone area.

Me and a few buds went up and rode that area last May. We stayed a couple nights at Roan Mountain state park. Rented a cabin......carried our own booze.....not much in the way of sights (least the kind your apparently after), unless you happen to strike it rich with a girl scout troop on a camping trip. :blink:

The park cabins were reasonably priced, very clean and comfortable. Made for a real nice base location. I think I recall posting a thread here w/some pic's which included some of the cabins. You might could search a bit and find it if you were so inclined.

Nice area to ride........I think you'll enjoy.

We are planning a ride down to Key West this year. Been riding the mountains year after year, time for a change, see something new.

here's the ride report link

Joe,

East Tennessee State University is in Johnson City, UT is in Knoxville, Maryville has a college or two and there is at least one girls only college in Bristol, VA. Sorry, I don't know where you would stay in any of the cities though. If you want good mountain riding, stay at TWO in Suches, GA. You would have to take your own booze and make your own party though.

Bill

I am from Marion and the General Francis Marion Hotel as A+. They have done a first rate job of fixing it up. You can't go wrong there. The only night life/bar/females is a Marado's restaurant down the street. Yes, Bristol might have more to offer, but yo in SWVA......nuff said. I can't really say there are any MC specific hotels. Great food in Abington and Bristol. Johnson City is a college town, so the eye candy might be kinda young. but better than Marion.

I'm not aware of any MC specific hotels/motels in the Bristol area. But, remember, Bristol is home of the Bristol Motor Speedway...site of 2 NASCAR races each year. There are abt 160,000 in attendance for each race so there are multiple hotels/motels in the area.

Johnson City, TN has ETSU and Boone, NC has Applachian State University and is also a college town. Boone and Blowing Rock are popular vacation destinations. Neither is "close" to I-81. Lots of good roads in the mountains of western NC.

You should have no problem finding a good hotel/motel in this area. Not sure you can satisfy all your requirements in one place though.

I am from Marion

Bristol is home of the Bristol Motor Speedway

John and Mike, are y'all gonna keep holdin' out? Fess up and jus come right out and tell him where he can find the cock fights...the real cultural attraction fer the whole region...world's capitol, perhaps! :D

rooster.jpg

I am from Marion

John and Mike, are y'all gonna keep holdin' out? Fess up and jus come right out and tell him where he can find the cock fights...the real cultural attraction fer the whole region...world's capitol, perhaps! :D

rooster.jpg
I think people from NJ are "verboten" at those places around here.

I am from Marion

rooster.jpg
Used to be you could buy local moonshine at the ABC store on the TN side of State Street.......don't know nothing about no kok fites.

Fess up and jus come right out and tell him where he can find the cock fights...the real cultural attraction fer the whole region...world's capitol, perhaps! :D
I have gotten the distinct impression that he isn't looking for cock fights. :)

The Boone area females are NOT going to be attracted to your motorcycle persona if you are sporting an FJR. They don't care much for side bags or a beer belly. I see your profile does not specify your bike. Remember that while most activities with Boone babes are legal, some of them are not yet 18 and most are not yet 21. Buy a few drinks and you can easily find yourself on the receiving end of a night stick and jail time.

If the intent is to troll for babes while doing some miles on a sport bike, bring your Harley or crotch rocket during NASCAR weeks and pile up in a hotel near Bristol. You are bound to get whatever you are looking for and possibly take something unintended back home with you.

Sounds like you might just enjoy these folks...

They are an "adult only" MC campground that boasts several events each year. Plenty of night life there. Bring your chaps.

Rider's Roost MC Campground

If it's good roads and good riding on a FJR you are after, the quality of a pillow usually takes precedence. In which case you want to stay away from Bristol during NASCAR weeks.

These folks offered decent lodging in the Boone area for EOM-06.

High Country Inn-BooneNC

It sounds to me like Johnson City would be your best bet. I live between Kingsport and JC. JC has the best places to hang out in the evening for the tri-cities area. Its not a far ride to get to Shady Valley or western NC from JC. You'll be a few miles closer to the Gap from JC as well. Downtown Bristol does have a few places, but its pretty limited...

I have stayed at the Hampton Inn in Bristol several times and it's a nice place. It's close enough to I-81 that you could hit the road with a cigarette butt from the parking lot. Well lit parking area and high traffic area so pretty safe.

Here's their website: Clicky

Good luck with your trip, great area.

JW