Battery died today...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgfella

Reaction score
I went out to go for my Sunday ride this morning AND:

Bad News:

The bike would not turn over as the battery was dead.

Good news:

15 minutes after I gave up trying to start it, the sky opened up with a killer thunderstorm.

BUT

More Good news:

I noticed that the battery wasn't taking a full charge from the Battery Tender, so I ordered a new WestCo battery from our pal Jeff at Bikeeffects.com last week.

More Bad news:

It's back ordered 2+ weeks.

I'm going to hunt around for an alternative source that has one in stock. Can you guys post any sources you might have? I'd appreciate it, as I've missed a lot of riding this year already.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to hunt around for an alternative source that has one in stock. Can you guys post any sources you might have? I'd appreciate it, as I've missed a lot of riding this year already.
Wal-Mart carries AGM batteries, but I am not sure if they have the size for the FJR. You may want to check there.

They are the same units as the WestCo with a different label.

Good Luck!

Later.

Did you try an Interstate Battery dealer? Or your Yamaha dealer (don't shoot me I'm only the messanger here)?

Tom

When my original battery crapped out in spring, 2005, (the original only lasted 6 months, despite being on a battery maintainer during winter) I was desperate for a battery and called the local Batteries Plus store. I was shocked to find they had one in stock. It is still working fine.

When my original battery crapped out in spring, 2005, (the original only lasted 6 months, despite being on a battery maintainer during winter) I was desperate for a battery and called the local Batteries Plus store. I was shocked to find they had one in stock. It is still working fine.
Timbo, I did the same thing this weekend. It's a 'Made in China' battery, but is has a 2 year guarantee and was in stock. $86 with tax.

I'll see how it runs.

Looks as though your battery was looking out for your best interest as far as the down pour. :0)

I have seen our size/ type at a local cycle gear......

I did think of buying it, but decided to just keep on running with the stock one- I do have to say that i have been very lucky in regards to this stock battery and how long it has lasted, seeing that i have left stuff on and drained it more time than i can remember.....:0{

Just the other day it was sitting at 11.67 after a two week break- then when i got it to fire it was only showing charged to 13.56-13.78 while tooling about, but today it is back to 14.05.... So all is good......volt meter= best farkle I think I have done, ever since then- I have been able to walk over to bike and know what the shape the battery was in prior to getting all my gear on......

I went out to go for my Sunday ride this morning AND:
Bad News:

The bike would not turn over as the battery was dead.

Good news:

15 minutes after I gave up trying to start it, the sky opened up with a killer thunderstorm.

BUT

More Good news:

I noticed that the battery wasn't taking a full charge from the Battery Tender, so I ordered a new WestCo battery from our pal Jeff at Bikeeffects.com last week.

More Bad news:

It's back ordered 2+ weeks.

I got a WestCo here: www.ebatteriestogo.com

Good price and good service!