Battery Tender Cap?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharif

Reaction score
Forum Folks - anyone out there have a line on a cap for a battery tender pigtail? I'm looking for something like this - they're out of stock, and the Autozone folks looked at me like I have two heads. I did send a note to bohemianbiker and am waiting to hear - anyone solve this in a different way?

I talked to a Battery Tender rep about this very topic, at this years IMS in Cleveland. They do not offer/sell replacement cap's.

But I did find one on the end of a lighter plug...that they do sell.

It really is aggravating - I never had a cap (my tender is well over ten years old), and on my previous bike I could hide the pigtail in an easily accessible side panel. What I'm thinking now is running the tail up and zip tying it to the wires on the throttle side, then adding a USB port so I can power my phone on the Ram Bone on longer rides. Don't need access to it all the time, don't plug my bike in every night, want to have some type of weather-proof cap.

Can't be that hard. If bohemian biker replies, I'm happy to share. I don't want to leave the USB port permanently plugged in, and I'm not a fan of buying a connector, chopping off the wires, and using that.

Probably should grab a couple so you have a spare....it's cheap and the shipping is reasonable if you make a $25 order.

Not really sure why you need (or want) a cap for a battery tender pigtail lead. The positive side of the pig tail is the recessed side, so it's not like there is a big risk of shorting that to ground unless you go poking stuff in there intentionally. And the cable is fused so if that one in a million occurrence happens and something thin enough and grounded finds its way inside that little hole, it would just blow the fuse, nothing more exciting or destructive than that.

I've got battery tender cables on each of my bikes and always just take those caps off the first time and then they never go back on.

YMMV

Tried Radio Shack - no dice.

I want the a cap primarily for aesthetic reasons - I want it capped off, and I don't want it exposed to weather (rain, etc).

Mine's tucked under the seat so aesthetics aren't a big concern. I went to the auto parts store, got one of these, cut the ends off and voila! TWO caps! Dip the ends in epoxy to seal off the wires and done.

How about using this instead of a cap. This is made by Battery Tender and can be had for $15 on Amazon?

41UDoyvr6JL._SX300_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that - but leave it on all the time? I want something I can leave on the bike when it's parked outside in a rain storm.

Forum Folks - anyone out there have a line on a cap for a battery tender pigtail? I'm looking for something like this - they're out of stock, and the Autozone folks looked at me like I have two heads. I did send a note to bohemianbiker and am waiting to hear - anyone solve this in a different way?
I have several. PM me and I'll mail you one:

Last edited by a moderator: