Best bag liners?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We never really use the bags unless its for a trip..... we seem to pack different stuff in the side cases depending on the journey, but when its going to be a stay over night trip then everything gets packed up to the brim with the side bags....

Fred is correct, the newer bags are a bit more heavy duty.... Looking forward to trying them out.

If your side-case lids open too far, you might like to try the little modification to hold them up a bit, posted here.

Before and after:

(Click on any image for a larger view)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried some Bestem brand and sent them back. Very hard to fit when full.

Bought a set of Kathy's....very nice
smile.png

Y'all know the cases themselves are the easiest cases to remove, of any bike, ever ... right?

They even have a carrying handle. I can't help thinking the liners are a solution in search of a problem.

I guess if I had some liners I might be tempted to use them, but I don't and that's $50 to spend on something else :D

The handles on my Yam cases bind and require finaggling. The kraut ones were much smoother to remove and replace. But I agree on all counts Twigg.

Y'all know the cases themselves are the easiest cases to remove, of any bike, ever ... right?
They even have a carrying handle. I can't help thinking the liners are a solution in search of a problem.

I guess if I had some liners I might be tempted to use them, but I don't and that's $50 to spend on something else :D
My bike is my primary means of getting to work, so I use my liners in lieu of a suitcase for short overnight trips I take. I'm not pulling the hard case off and throwing it in the baggage compartment, it'd get pretty messed up very quickly...not to mention awkward and just plain weird to lug through the airport and to the hotel.

I guess if I had some liners I might be tempted to use them, but I don't and that's $50 to spend on something else
biggrin.png
My bike is my primary means of getting to work, so I use my liners in lieu of a suitcase for short overnight trips I take. I'm not pulling the hard case off and throwing it in the baggage compartment, it'd get pretty messed up very quickly...not to mention awkward and just plain weird to lug through the airport and to the hotel.
+1. A little planning goes a long way: Day 1 and 2 left liner. Then put toiletries in right bag. Days 3 & 4 right liner. Toting the liner sure is easier than toting the (IMHO) awkward & unduly heavy saddle bag complete.

Of course it depends on your riding. I have the impression twigg is an LD guy- going & going & going, rarely unpacking a lot of anything. I'm not.

I guess if I had some liners I might be tempted to use them, but I don't and that's $50 to spend on something else
biggrin.png
+1. A little planning goes a long way: Day 1 and 2 left liner. Then put toiletries in right bag. Days 3 & 4 right liner. Toting the liner sure is easier than toting the (IMHO) awkward & unduly heavy saddle bag complete.

Of course it depends on your riding. I have the impression twigg is an LD guy- going & going & going, rarely unpacking a lot of anything. I'm not.
Well yes, but the comment was also a bit tongue-in-cheek too :)

I only really have the liners in the cases when I have them filled with things. They are very good for the cases, but when they aren't being used they just take up room. Stuff like my air pump and emergency gear gets stored under the seat.

Of course, most of the time I don't have the side cases on, just the tail case. It works better for fitting my jacket/helmet in when riding.

I use the Yamaha OEM bag liners when on trips, but for local day rides I use the bottom half of a 40 lb. cat litter container.

IMG_2081_zpsqniwjs9o.jpg

I cut the container and hold it in place with small bungee cords. It is useful in holding small items and they don't fall out when I open the case. Typically I'll have a hat, water bottle, a microfiber cloth and a set of gloves in mine, but it is good for any small item.

OP - I have a set of bags in very good condition from my (now deceased) 2006. Would like to get $50 for them. I just checked and the Fedex cost to get them to you is $35.

Gary

I was irritated when I went to take delivery of my 2014 and I couldn't fit all my gear on board because the sidecases were chock full of Yamaha bag bags. Take up half the room of the sidecase. But maybe that's just me.
It was just you unless there was more than the liners themselves. If the liners are too bulky for your liking use a plastic trash bags. Some people just pack more sh-t than needed when they travel. I travelled domestically and internationally for many years and found a carry on bag adequate for any trip. On motorcycle rides, both side bags and a medium size duffle on the rack is adequate space for any length ride. Best Western inns have laundry facilities.