Best Price on Touring Trunk?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nankoweap

Reaction score
Talked to my dealer who said they could sell me a Touring Trunk and Attachment Kit for a 2013 FJR for $795 + tax. On the surface that seems like a good deal. Anyone know of a better deal out there?

Thanks.

I switched from the oem mount to the givi sr357 mount. That move was based on info from this site as well as other accounts of the rear subframe cracking. I got mine from sport touring in Cincinnati. They also come up for sake here every now and then.

My top case is a Shad sh50, bought used from here.

Unless you're set on the factory trunk, there are better deals to be had. You can get a V46 and SR357 mount for around $400. For the Yamaha factory trunk, check some of the on-line parts houses for discounts. I use Cycle Parts Warehouse and Boats.net for many of my parts purchases.

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw some good (cheap) ones on ebay. OEM but they were black. I'll see if I can find them again.

Canadian FJR

You might try Twigg Cycles in Hagerstown,MD. They have an ebay store that Ibought mine from. Trunk was $423.00 delivered. Forget where I bought OEM rack but I think I got it for around 75-80 bucks.

You might try Twigg Cycles in Hagerstown,MD. They have an ebay store that Ibought mine from. Trunk was $423.00 delivered. Forget where I bought OEM rack but I think I got it for around 75-80 bucks.
Sweet price. Thanks. Would be worth the effort.... Can't find the 2013 touring trunk on their site, but will call this morning.

Hi Jason,

I strongly recommend using almost anything 'other' than the OEM trunk. In less than 15K, my OEM mount had broken, was fixed, broke again. Most of the time, it was mostly empty, used to hold my riding gear once I arrived at my destination. Looking at other factory trunks online, here, that had failed, I could see mine might replicate past behaviors. Functionally, it's also a rather flimsy mount, lots of wiggle...which I'm sure contributed to the plastic fatiguing.

Sold mine, moving to a Givi unit. A fellow MSTA club member put one on his, and it's a rock-solid arrangement. I'd put 40 lbs in the back on not worry about it. About half the price for a much better unit functionally.

YMMV

Thanks, JT and everyone else. From what I've been told the 2013 attachment plate is different than in years past. I went ahead and purchased the OEM. We'll see what happens. Think I'll tether the damn thing to the bike anyway. :)

Thanks, JT and everyone else. From what I've been told the 2013 attachment plate is different than in years past. I went ahead and purchased the OEM. We'll see what happens. Think I'll tether the damn thing to the bike anyway.
smile.png
FYI - 2013 attachment is same as Gen 2 attachment.

edit: Forgot to mention that I would consider using the Givi SR357 mount with the OEM top case.

I got a '13 OEM trunk and mounted it. Perhaps they changed the design of the base of the trunk, but it fits nice and snug in the mount. And it's got various rubber parts to buffer vibhration. However, I'm disappointed in the inside dimensions. I assume the 50 liters is accurate but the shape of the trunk causes it to not have as much area in plan view as I'm used to. For example I can't lay a small laptop (Macboook 13") in its case flat in there, which I could easily do with all previous top boxes I've ever owned.

On the plus side, it has altered the airflow such that buffeting from my Cal-Sci windshield seems to have been eliminated.

Bought the GIVI MONOKEY E228 REAR RACK MOUNT for the 2013 for $100 new. Fits great and very solid. Picked up a used GIVI V46 top case with brake light kit and back rest (flat black with a new silver top case shell) for $280. All in $380 and it looks and works GREAT! Lots of deals on used cases that are in good shape out there.

Never an issue w my OEM top case or mount. Riders in back of me have commented (at the NERDS run) that it was perfectly stable going over the rough RR tracks and bumps compared to fellow Givi's in our group. Me driving, I never knew of course what it did in that matter (as doesn't other Givi owners I'm sure). Bottom line; ya can't beat the price of the 3rd party ones, but ya can't beat the looks n styling of the OEM ones. Go Fish.

|?| - Just for 1-up touring, I bought one of these $89 "bags" on fleabay and it works VERY well, never had a leak and u can't beat the price. Covers the pillion seat back over the topcase rack with a couple inches of overhang (think it's 26" long). Actually looks pretty dang good mounted and it is a breeze on/off.

%24T2eC16NHJHoFGl(-)3YVBRzHtpUMSg~~60_12.JPG

Yamaha now sells the new improved mounting plate with metal tubes inside the three holes for the bolts..:

Have a look at the holes the metal tubes:

I am very satisfied with my OEM top case!It is very stable especially now with the new mounting plate that i installed and the most important,i don't feel that i have installed a top case in my bike!Also,i never exceeded the 5-6 kg..

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/pna/detail.php?sectionId=AC&groupId=1&subGroupId=1&categoryId=2&itemId=890&unitId=4217&unitName=2013+FJR1300&unitGroup=MC&unitYear=2013&items_per_page=12&page=1