Best Riding in the Appalachians

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Ed

Reaction score
I have begun a site of the Best Rides in the Appalachians as a way to give back to fellow motorcyclists and want nothing in return. So far I have 7 great rides posted with photos, Google Maps, and GPS files: https://www.newenglandriders.org/BestOfAppalachians/VA_WV_Ladder.htm

I will add more rides. I have also included a page with favorite roads, places to see, places to stay, etc. https://www.newenglandriders.org/Great_Routes_and_Rides/Outside%20NE/Appalachians.htm.

Eventually I will expand this into a Best Riding in the Appalachians website from Maryland to Alabama. We currently have a Best of the Northeast website that covers Newfoundland to Pennsylvania and has over 65,000 page visits in a few years: https://www.newenglandriders.org/BestOfNorthEast/BestOfNorthEast.htm

Being from the south I have been on many of the roads you have listed and I must say you have done a masterful job! It is certainly a compendium for anyone not familiar with the area to use when they are planning their route through any part of the southern Appalachians. You have revealed a large number of the hidden treasures we have on this end. I can't wait to explore some of the roads you've listed in your "Best of the Northeast" guide! If you did half as good a job with it as you did with the Appalachians it'll be a real treat! THANKS!

Being from the south I have been on many of the roads you have listed and I must say you have done a masterful job! It is certainly a compendium for anyone not familiar with the area to use when they are planning their route through any part of the southern Appalachians. You have revealed a large number of the hidden treasures we have on this end. I can't wait to explore some of the roads you've listed in your "Best of the Northeast" guide! If you did half as good a job with it as you did with the Appalachians it'll be a real treat! THANKS!
Thank you. The Best of the Northeast site took years to complete. I think that you will like it.

Hey Ed, just looked through your website and great rides! I've done many of them in the western NC area, and you're spot on with your descriptions. I like that you mentioned 151 (Devil's Drop?), as it is a mostly overlooked road, but is one of my most favorite. I look forward to more ride postings.

All the best,

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should delete any references to NC & TN and their mountains. They suck. Everyone should stay away. NY mtns are much better. smileysmileysmiley.

Hey Ed, just looked through your website and great rides! I've done many of them in the western NC area, and you're spot on with your descriptions. I like that you mentioned 151 (Devil's Drop?), as it is a mostly overlooked road, but is one of my most favorite. I look forward to more ride postings. All the best, Rob
I love Devil's Drop! Thanks Rob!

I think you should delete any references to NC & TN and their mountains. They suck. Everyone should stay away. NY mtns are much better. smileysmileysmiley.
There are some rides in the NY Mountains that are almost as good as the best of NC. Good pavement too. It is the secret of Northeast riding.

THANK YOU!

I'll be staying in Robbinsville next month and plan to download the appropriate gpx files to my Garmin for certain.

I spent my adolescence in VA and did a fair amount of riding in VA, WV, TN and NC. The most exciting riding was when we were being chased by inbred hillbillies in a pick-up while they were yelling "Squeal like a pig all ya all hippies".

I spent my adolescence in VA and did a fair amount of riding in VA, WV, TN and NC. The most exciting riding was when we were being chased by inbred hillbillies in a pick-up while they were yelling "Squeal like a pig all ya all hippies".
At least they were nice to y'all. Last time down by Lake Eufaula in Jawja I heard something like "I gots me sumptin rahht cheer for all y'all tree huggin' hippie bass turds! [Ptooey]".

I like that you mentioned 151 (Devil's Drop?), as it is a mostly overlooked road, but is one of my most favorite.
That is a fun road! And man it has some sharp turns. Newbies --> extra caution should be taken on this road: many very tight turns and lots of dirt and debris can be scattered on this road depending on prior weather events.

Ed, thank you for putting together this resource and for sharing it here! I'm in the very early stages of planning a Smoky Mountains trip and am finding your commentary, guides, GPX track files, etc. incredibly helpful.