Best Of the Appalachians (BOA) website

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Ed

Reaction score
I have completed my first draft of the Best Of the Appalachians (BOA) roads for the new Best Of the Appalachians website. This website will eventually consist of the best roads, views, restaurants, things to see, and accommodations from Maryland down to the Barber Museum in Alabama.

I have researched roads for a few years and have gone to ride as many as I could. I have included suggestions from a number of riders which I then did further reseach on to confirm that they were good enough for this site. This website intends to include only the best of the best. I would be very grateful for feedback to make the site better.
https://www.newenglandriders.org/BestOfAppalachians/BestRoads/Best%20Roads.htm

Just a reminder that we have already covered Newfoundland to Pennsylvania:
https://www.newenglandriders.org/BestOfNorthEast/BestOfNorthEast.htm

I would appreciate feedback on this site as well. The goal is to have the best motorcycling site for Eastern Riders. As always, this is done as a way for New England Riders to give back to the motorcycling community. We do not advertise and want nothing in return.

Great first draft. I will have to spend a little time going through this. I am wondering how difficult it would be to create some sort of "overview" map to get the big picture for the area? Might aid in planning; especially when a trip is likely to straddle two or more of the Appalacian regions.

Great first draft. I will have to spend a little time going through this. I am wondering how difficult it would be to create some sort of "overview" map to get the big picture for the area? Might aid in planning; especially when a trip is likely to straddle two or more of the Appalacian regions.
You can easily do this in BaseCamp once I post all the GPX files.

Great list of roads for VA and WV. Your 1st route for WV should read Webster Springs not Water Springs, though. surprised Rt 150 (HIghland Scenic Highway) between 219 and 39 didn't make the list. Also Williams River road between 150(HSH) and Rt 20 in Cowen wasn't mentioned etiher. Of course, that road is closed now as a lot of it was torn up by the recent flooding. I am sure it will be repaired though.

Williams River road between 150(HSH) and Rt 20 in Cowen wasn't mentioned either. Of course, that road is closed now as a lot of it was torn up by the recent flooding. I am sure it will be repaired though.
ohno-smiley02.gif
I had a feeling that road suffered from the flooding...probably be a while before they get to repair it. I need to get down to WV soon.

You can easily do this in BaseCamp once I post all the GPX files.
Thanks. Probably a good way to do it once all of the GPX routes are imported.

Thanks for another interesting site.In SE Ohio you included most of the best stuff East of I77,but I would include 147 from Belmont to Belaire.Also,I would include the rest of 26 from Woodsfield to 148.

West of I77 you might want to consider 374 in the Hocking Hills,377 Malta to Sharpsburg,691 Nelsonville to 56,and 356 56 to 50.Also a couple very good county roads in the Hocking Hills...Thompson Ridge and Big Pine.

A few to consider in the very southern tip of SE Ohio...775,218,217,790 and 141.County roads...Hannon Trace from 775 to 790,and Greasy Ridge from near 7? to the second crossing of 775.

A few suggestions:

For GA:

#1 - Suggest adding ("Fort Mountain")

#3 - Suggest adding ("Wolf Pen Gap")

#4 - Suggest adding (Includes US129 over "Blood Mountain")

#9 - typo "Waywoman"

Also add:

GA 136 from Talking Rock to GA 183 in Dawsonville ("Burnt Mountain").

For TN, suggest listing the Cherohala (you do have it in NC #4)

For AL, suggest adding to #4 (Little River Canyon Rd)

Great list of roads for VA and WV. Your 1st route for WV should read Webster Springs not Water Springs, though. surprised Rt 150 (HIghland Scenic Highway) between 219 and 39 didn't make the list. Also Williams River road between 150(HSH) and Rt 20 in Cowen wasn't mentioned etiher. Of course, that road is closed now as a lot of it was torn up by the recent flooding. I am sure it will be repaired though.
Thank you! I made the correction.

I was not that impressed with 150 when I rode it. Maybe I have to ride it again.

I am intrigued by Williams River Road. Is it as good as the others on the list? Please tell me about it.

Williams River road between 150(HSH) and Rt 20 in Cowen wasn't mentioned either. Of course, that road is closed now as a lot of it was torn up by the recent flooding. I am sure it will be repaired though.
ohno-smiley02.gif
I had a feeling that road suffered from the flooding...probably be a while before they get to repair it. I need to get down to WV soon.
Well, people live along that road, so they have to do something.

ohno-smiley02.gif
Well, SOME people LIVED along that road, so they have to do something.
...fixed it for ya

Last edited by a moderator:

I was not that impressed with 150 when I rode it. Maybe I have to ride it again.

I am intrigued by Williams River Road. Is it as good as the others on the list? Please tell me about it.
It is an outstanding scenic road. Especially during fall colors. 150 in the fall is outstanding also. Below is a picture from one of the many overlooks on 150 that I took this weekend:

20160709_091349_zpspo3ujpb8.jpg

A few suggestions:
For GA:

#1 - Suggest adding ("Fort Mountain")

#3 - Suggest adding ("Wolf Pen Gap")

#4 - Suggest adding (Includes US129 over "Blood Mountain")

#9 - typo "Waywoman"

Also add:

GA 136 from Talking Rock to GA 183 in Dawsonville ("Burnt Mountain").

For TN, suggest listing the Cherohala (you do have it in NC #4)

For AL, suggest adding to #4 (Little River Canyon Rd)
Thank You very much! Edits made. Is 136 as good as the other roads on the list? I am trying to list only the very best.

I can vouch for GA 136, too. East of I-75 (which includes Talking Rock) is sweepers and scenic all the way to US 19, as eflyguy stated, and US 19 takes you up and over Neel's Gap.

West of I-75, into AL 71, it is sharp turns, steep climbs and often a challenge to do at speeds above 45 mph. Bad part is you end up in Alabama.
sleep.png
I usually u-turn in Flat Rock (AL), rewind to I-75 at Resaca, and boogie back to the house.

Will check your website this weekend, and thanks for the link!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can vouch for GA 136, too. East of I-75 (which includes Talking Rock) is sweepers and scenic all the way to US 19, as eflyguy stated, and US 19 takes you up and over Neel's Gap.
West of I-75, into AL 71, it is sharp turns, steep climbs and often a challenge to do at speeds above 45 mph. Bad part is you end up in Alabama.
sleep.png
I usually u-turn in Flat Rock (AL), rewind to I-75 at Resaca, and boogie back to the house.

Will check your website this weekend, and thanks for the link!
Thank you! I just extended the GA 136 listing to Alabama.

It is an outstanding scenic road. Especially during fall colors. 150 in the fall is outstanding also. Below is a picture from one of the many overlooks on 150 that I took this weekend:
Yes. 150 in WV is an awesome "scenic route" not to be missed: