Best windscreen for a tall (6'4") guy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thx for your input. What about the California Scientific brand? Open to other suggestions stemming from personal experience, of course.

I'm 6'2 with a long torso, and this works well for me: https://www.ceebaileys.com/yamaha/fjr1300_flip_06_ws.html
I'm using the 23" tall, 4" wider version. The reverse contour works, I'm in a fairly quiet bubble and the top of the windscreen is a little above eye level.
I see they offer a 25" tall version as well and am wondering if that might be the right choice given the fact that I am just a bit taller than you.

I'm 6'4" but my height is mostly in my legs (36" inseam). I have the tallest Cee Bailey reverse flip. Its fine for my head but my shoulders take a lot of wind.

Good luck!

I'm 6' 3" and I have 4 shields. In cooler weather I like the Vstream and in warm weather the stock tall with a laminar lip.If I had to choose one it would be the one with the laminar lip.

To the OP... I'm 6'-11" with a GEN1 '05 FJR... stock seat and bars with the Heli set-back spacers. I had the stock shield and just replaced it last weekend with the National Vstream 20.5" unit. This has made a huge difference especially with it in the full UP position.... very quiet now and minimal helmet buffeting. Perfect? No... I could still use another inch perhaps for even better full up protection but I'm going to leave it for now (I'm still easily looking over the top edge). At the lowest position I'm getting a blast of air right at my neck and helmet but this is fine for low speeds and hot weather. There are many other options out there but I'll stick with this for now...

Regards,

Mr. BR

To the OP... I'm 6'-11" with a GEN1 '05 FJR... stock seat and bars with the Heli set-back spacers. I had the stock shield and just replaced it last weekend with the National Vstream 20.5" unit. This has made a huge difference especially with it in the full UP position.... very quiet now and minimal helmet buffeting. Perfect? No... I could still use another inch perhaps for even better full up protection but I'm going to leave it for now (I'm still easily looking over the top edge). At the lowest position I'm getting a blast of air right at my neck and helmet but this is fine for low speeds and hot weather. There are many other options out there but I'll stick with this for now... Regards,

Mr. BR
Very helpful, thank you. To avoid having to switch shields in a relentless pursuit of relative perfection, I thought it would be better to hear from some tall dudes and their actual experiences. Based on your extreme height, I'm thinking the 20.5" VStream might work well for me. Hmmm...

I am 6 feet tall, and have a V-Stream. It is a very good screen and I'd buy another, but I do sometimes wish they offered a slightly taller and slightly wider option.

Even at full height I can still look over it. The FJR has a good range of adjustment and I'd prefer the screen to be 2" taller for best choices of coverage.

To the OP... I'm 6'-11" with a GEN1 '05 FJR... stock seat and bars with the Heli set-back spacers. I had the stock shield and just replaced it last weekend with the National Vstream 20.5" unit. This has made a huge difference especially with it in the full UP position.... very quiet now and minimal helmet buffeting. Perfect? No... I could still use another inch perhaps for even better full up protection but I'm going to leave it for now (I'm still easily looking over the top edge). At the lowest position I'm getting a blast of air right at my neck and helmet but this is fine for low speeds and hot weather. There are many other options out there but I'll stick with this for now... Regards,

Mr. BR
Very helpful, thank you. To avoid having to switch shields in a relentless pursuit of relative perfection, I thought it would be better to hear from some tall dudes and their actual experiences. Based on your extreme height, I'm thinking the 20.5" VStream might work well for me. Hmmm...
I'd like to say I did a bunch of research on this but I didn't do much more than searching and reading this forum. The Vstream has a good rep and I figured if it didn't work out, I could sell it here most likely and try something else. Anyway, I also had some Amazon gift cards to burn and found the Vstream there for a good price. Done deal and it arrived in a few days (shipped from some MC shop).

Mr. BR

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the first version cal sci, I don't like the heat and find I get a good amount of ventilation through the openings it has. I made something to block off the hole for cold water only takes a minute to put on. Also the vents reduce the hand of god on your back, all in all I'm pretty happy with it...

Hope you like yours, id buy another for my jump from gen 1. To gen iii

Last edited by a moderator:
So...an OEM Yamaha "Touring" windscreen plus a Laminar lip? I would like to have things be as calm as possible behind the screen.
Keep in mind we are riding a motorcycle here. If you want it wind free and quiet drive a car or sit at home and watch a movie. Riding the motorcycle make you the star of your own show.
punk.gif

Actually, I changed my mind lol! I'm going to try an OEM Yamaha touring windscreen. 4" taller so we'll see. What I've learned about windscreens so far is this: no one always likes every single one.

So...an OEM Yamaha "Touring" windscreen plus a Laminar lip? I would like to have things be as calm as possible behind the screen.
Keep in mind we are riding a motorcycle here. If you want it wind free and quiet drive a car or sit at home and watch a movie. Riding the motorcycle make you the star of your own show.
punk.gif
I have multiple motorcycles and at least a couple of them are extremely quiet/car'esque behind the screen. I like it. At the same time, I love my Speed Triple with no windscreen at all!