Valve check/Valve adjustment in Dallas-Ft. Worth

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious as to what the lowest mileage valve adjustment anyone has experienced. 50k+ miles? Just seems like a lot of work especially for lower mileage bikes. No bad advice this time, maybe just a dumb question 🤔 🙃 🙄 😕 🤣.

Ok, I took it out for a test drive and it runs like a top, but...... The check engine light is on. I'm thinking its just because I unhooked a lot of electrical stuff to get the wiring harness moved over so I could slide the valve cover back in. Is there a way for me to check it myself or will I need to take it in to the dealer?

GP

Ok, I took it out for a test drive and it runs like a top, but...... The check engine light is on. I'm thinking its just because I unhooked a lot of electrical stuff to get the wiring harness moved over so I could slide the valve cover back in. Is there a way for me to check it myself or will I need to take it in to the dealer?

GP
You'll need the equipment and app for OBDII connecting. A quick search of "OBD" yields numerous results.

I took the bike to my Yamaha dealer and they hooked it up to the diagnostics on their laptop. 4 codes came up.
PO118 Coolant Temp sensor
P114 Air injection sensor
196 Event Coolant temp sensor
245 Event engine stall

Seems to me the first and the third are related.
The tech said he cleared them, but they came back after he restarted the engine. I pulled everything apart after I got home and everything was hooked up correctly. I unpluged the coolant temp sensor plug and the air injector sensor and the connectors looked fine upon inspection. The damn thing runs perfect. Checked the cruise control and it works fine too. What tha heck is happening?

GP

I took the bike to my Yamaha dealer and they hooked it up to the diagnostics on their laptop. 4 codes came up.
PO118 Coolant Temp sensor
P114 Air injection sensor
196 Event Coolant temp sensor
245 Event engine stall

Seems to me the first and the third are related.
The tech said he cleared them, but they came back after he restarted the engine. I pulled everything apart after I got home and everything was hooked up correctly. I unpluged the coolant temp sensor plug and the air injector sensor and the connectors looked fine upon inspection. The damn thing runs perfect. Checked the cruise control and it works fine too. What tha heck is happening?

GP
I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune! I'm also sorry that I can't be of any help as I have not done a valve check. Just curious... How many miles are on your FJR and did you have to adjust any? Good luck with sorting out the gremlins, you will get them eventually. Jevers

32,400 mi. Two exhaust valves were slightly out of spec. Not going to adjust till next check.

GP

Interesting. You would go through all that work and not adjust the two back into spec? I hope they were on the loose side.

Interesting. You would go through all that work and not adjust the two back into spec? I hope they were on the loose side.
Never heard of FJR valves getting looser, unless it was due to carbon buildup rather than wear. Maybe just me, but I haven't had to adjust exhaust valves on my bikes (185,000 miles on the 2007). Just intakes...

The two exhaust valves were just .01 out of spec. My old trusted mechanic, that doesnt wrench anymore because of his bad back, told me not to worry about that much of a difference. I wasn't prepared to pull the cams anyway. I suppose I can do that eventually. Just a little concerned about pulling cams and cam chains. I have bad dreams of putting the cam chain on and being off a few teeth. I'm thinking bad things happen when you do that.
GP

The two exhaust valves were just .01 out of spec. My old trusted mechanic, that doesnt wrench anymore because of his bad back, told me not to worry about that much of a difference. I wasn't prepared to pull the cams anyway. I suppose I can do that eventually. Just a little concerned about pulling cams and cam chains. I have bad dreams of putting the cam chain on and being off a few teeth. I'm thinking bad things happen when you do that.
GP
WHAT?! You actually have to pull the cams to adjust the valves?!?!?!?! That reason alone would be enough justification to just leave the valves alone. Honestly..... When is the last time you heard of someone burning a valve on a FJR from being too tight. Personally, I think I will roll the dice and take my "chances ". To quote a wise man, "ride more, worry less". Truer words have never been spoken before! Again, this is purely my opinion. If you can't sleep at night worrying about your valves, then, by all means check them. If you're not comfortable doing this by yourself, either have a professional do it or do your own research and enlist the help from one of these very knowledgeable forum members. Jevers

Just from reading on the forum over the past years, most will tighten up at different rates. I think there might have been some problems with FJRs that were never checked and adjusted when they needed it. The only way you can be sure is to just get a new FJR every 40 to 50 thousand miles. Ha! Also from what I have read on here, if it starts running bad because of valves that are too tight from not being adjusted, then you have probably caused some damage to the engine.
The valve check wasn't too bad after going through it once. I can probably learn how to remove cams and re shim if I have a good video to show me or an experienced person to show me.
I have done a valve check and adjustment on my Vmax, but you don't have to remove the cams to re shim it. What a concept. Why that design didnt carry over the FJR is beyond me.
GP

Not yet. Taking it to another Yamaha dealership this morning. I thought my extended warranty had expired, but I looked at my warranty card and Im good till May. I don't know anything about the service department there. Hope they are good.

Not yet. Taking it to another Yamaha dealership this morning. I thought my extended warranty had expired, but I looked at my warranty card and Im good till May. I don't know anything about the service department there. Hope they are good.
Hopefully they will get you diagnosed and fixed up although they might not cover it if it turns out that the issue is related to something you did when you did the valve check.

GP
The cams do not need to be pulled to check the valve lash. They will, however, need to be removed if they are out of spec and need different pads installed.

Ok, I took the bike over to another shop in the area and they did a diagnostic check. The codes came up and they cancelled them. No more check engine light. These guys were older experienced Tech's. All I can figure is The younger unexperienced Tech that did the first diagnostic either didn't know what he was doing or something was wrong with the computer or diagnostic program. Light is off and I'm good to go.

GP