Big Bear SoCal Ride report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBluesman

Some call me... The STIG!
Reaction score
Big Bear SoCal Ride report, October 17, 2009

Well, all 50 something of us met at the Starbuckles (official FJR HQ) in Redlands, CA. I had to try and learn more names that I forgot as soon as I was introduced. My brain doesn't work properly, so I have an excuse.

We broke up into four groups, Group 1, the spirited ones; group 2, the not quite so spirited ones; group 3, the more leisure ones; and group 4, the just loving the ride group. And headed up Hwy 38 towards Big Bear.

We all made it off OK and met at the first stop. Group 1, then group 3, then group 4…. Where's group 2? Pegscraper lead that group up Hwy 330 to Big Bear then toured the lake area, they caught up with us at lunch.

We made some more stops, took pix, talked and busted chops, fun stuff.

After I believe our second stop or so, we got back on the road and found a fellow rider from our group, non-FJR (GSX-R), had low sided on a turn, got off into the gravel, not sure of the whole story but he was OK, bike was a mess, and toe part of the shifter broke. The bike was rideable so we got him off and going shifting rather awkwardly.

We had lunch at the wonderful Old Country Inn. Great food, we occupied the entire patio area. The weather was AWESOME!!! About 80º in Big Bear.

After lunch many headed out for other places. Tonyrob had to head home due to lack of rubber on his front tire, Ya think you'd notice those things before hand. The tire was completely bald! About 14 of us went on a leisurely cruise around Hwy 18, from there many broke off to home bound areas. I believe the San Diego group went to Idyllwild then home. NVR2L8 (Jeff) and his awesome Beemer K1300 and I went towards the coast. It was bloody hot well over 90º, I would say closer to 100º.

It was a great time, met some new people, always a pleasure, and saw some old friends. Great ride, great bike, great people, that's what makes this Forum awesome!!

Thanks Gerry! And great riding with everyone.

**EDIT**

Also thanks to (I told you my brain didn't work properly): Dave for helping coordinate and the group leaders. :yahoo:

All - Please post up your pix etc.

100_4860.jpg

100_4861.jpg

Our sweeper in the rear.

100_4862.jpg

First Stop.

100_4867.jpg

100_4869.jpg

Lunch. Half the people left by the time I got the bright idea to take pix.

100_4871.jpg

100_4873.jpg

Only Coldcut and Manwhore would sit with Johnny80s

100_4874.jpg

Pegscraper, Low level FJR Pilot and MsNASCAR

100_4875.jpg

Big Bear Lake

100_4879.jpg

For those out of state, this is SMoke and fOG or SMOG as it's known in SoCal. We breath this crap daily. We don't trust air we can't see.

100_4884.jpg

Last stop before heading down the hill from the Rim of the World.

100_4885.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
First and foremost - Great job to Gerry (Slappy) and Dave (Low Level FJR Pilot)!

Also a big thanks to Dan (ynotride) and Ed (Pegscraper) for leading groups along with Dave and Gerry.

Epic ride, I can't believe how many bikes we had! It looked like a mini WFO!

I only took a few pics...

Lunch -

BigBear09pic01.jpg

More Lunch -

BigBear09pic02.jpg

And lastly, our local Los Robustos representative, doing what Los Robustos do best - :D

BigBear09pic03.jpg

It was great meeting new folks, and see the old farts. Thanks again to our hosts!

As I said in the other post. Great ride with a great group of folks. Lood forward to more of these events.

Names of all that rode today:

FJRPilot

SnowAviation

tonyrob

FJRBluesman

cometman

Neil San Diego

zman

ML-FJR13AE

John Mayo

Moose

Morepower60

2006FJR

Emily Charlton (Pillion)

Bob Burlison

Lynda Burlison

N1acguy

Johnny80s

jordylad

LgFjr

pegscraper

MsNASCAR (Pillion)

saltywheels

Slappy

Ynotride

glossblk08

Kitty (Pillion)

John Muller

dj bill

Julie Holderby

Tori Holderby (Pillion)

Draggon Rider

Greg Nash (Pillion)

jtc

Jean Cahill (Pillion)

topcat

Steve Ferreira

Sal Flores

Jimm

dwpools

Machyoung

Lori Young (Pillion)

COLDCUT

Trip

Minuteman

Frank Barnes

Manwhoride

Mikey

Scott (didn't get last name or handle)

Indiojoe

The total count was 49. Total bikes were 42. If I somehow missed anyone, please let me know so I can correct the count.

thank you gerry and dave and all you guys on this fjr forum for the fun ride to big bear!!..my friend sal on the gixxer his ok do to his body armer no injury

350 miles earlier I must admit that the thought of forty plus bikes sounded interesting, fun and scary all at the same time. There are some pretty technical twisties in the mix of this ride coupled with the overload of testosterone that accompanies "Keeping up" with the fast kids, the ride was a great success considering.... A lot of the credit for an absolutely fun, safe ride goes to the guys that organized and managed the event, Slappy, Low level fjr pilot and possibly more behind the scenes that I am unaware of. But, the real credit goes to the sound riding and reasoning capabilities of the wonderful FJR folks that rode within the boundaries of their own capabilities. Splitting the group into four levels was a great idea. Congratulations to all for a wonderful "safe" get together!! :yahoo:

Good food as well!! :rolleyes:

look like fun (like last year) maybe next year if am not down with an cold i can make it

Yeah Dan, we missed having you with us. It would have been fun. Gerry wants to make this an anual thing and I agree. Although next year we may have to break it into 7 or 8 groups if it gets more popular. Get better and hope to see you down this way sometime in the future.

Great ride with a great group of folks. A big THANKS to Slappy and LL Pilot you guys had it all under control.

1st stop

bigbear09008.jpg

2nd stop

bigbear09009.jpg

bigbear09012.jpg

Country Inn - which by the way did a really good job of taking care of us. I have never seen a place give a group of 50 such great service and seperate checks :clapping:

bigbear09013.jpg

It was great seeing some old faces and some new guys. It was a little warm on the ride home. I think I showed 102 on my bike once we got down the mountain.

It was a good turn out. Many aquaintances but many more new faces were on hand for this (now) annual Big Bear Ride. Maybe we (some) could spend the night next year and partake in the Octoberfestivities. Just a thought. Here are mine and MsNASCAR's pix contributions and we are looking forward to the next group ride. Or just call us anytime for a ride.

Jeff, Jean and Lori

376311708.jpg

376311713.jpg

376311790.jpg

376311712.jpg

376311710.jpg

376311709.jpg

Bob and Lynda riding in comfort

376311793.jpg

376311792.jpg

A salute to Tim

376311795.jpg

I just like to say thanks for having us. We really enjoyed our first "Group Ride". We'll be sure and look into more in the future. Got to meet a bunch of great people, see everyone elses bikes and farkles, and of course, RIDE! Thanks again!

Robert and Lori Young

BTW Ed, in your 1st photo it's Jeff, Jean and Lori!

I wanted to thank everyone for showing up. It made for an amazing day. I am sorry we had a mishap but I am glad gear saved the day.

Old Country Inn really made it happen for us. I will call the owner and thank him for great service and feeding everyone in a timely manner. The seperate checks was definitely a bonus.

I am going to try to make this an annual event. It has been getting bigger and bigger every year. The first ride up to Big Bear there where 10 bikes, the next ride there were 20. Now we are over 30 bikes.

A special thanks to Dave for getting all the last minute details together. It made a huge difference.

Now that fall is upon us I hope to see all of you again on some costal or some desert rides. After all we live in one of the few places in the US that we get to ride year round, might as well take advantage of it.

WOW!!!~ :clapping: Was that a ride or was that a ride!! Confidential sources advised me that CHP was gearing up for a biker-invasion of Big Bear. I said,"Naw..it's on a bunch of FJRs".

Thank you Slappy & all the others who made this a fantastic ride. What a truely great bunch of guys & gals. My pleasure to ride with you.

Ghalib Tikari

Well. You know.....looks aren't everything.

:D

Holy cow! What a turnout!

And I didn't think FJRBluesman even owned a motorcycle.

Would it be too much to ask if somebuddy could put some names to the mugs in some of these pictures?
That tall guy in the back left in the redish shirt is 2006FJR and his wife Emily is just to the right.

Well. You know.....looks aren't everything.

:D

Holy cow! What a turnout!

And I didn't think FJRBluesman even owned a motorcycle.

Would it be too much to ask if somebuddy could put some names to the mugs in some of these pictures?
That tall guy in the back left in the redish shirt is 2006FJR and his wife Emily is just to the right.
djbill is to the left with his head cocked, manwhore is in front with blue shirt and his arms crossed and ball cap and shades.

Old Michael, what do you think on this? Is the Northern California group uglier than the SoCal Group? Or is it just a tossup?

johnny80s to manwhores right in the white shirt with his arms crossed and Fu Manchu mustache; ynotride is in Baja red shirt.