bike jumped on neutral

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, whenever shifting a motorcycle g/box (constant-mesh type) have something turning -- either the engine running (rotating the primary shaft); or the rear wheel turning (rotating the secondary or layshaft). Ideally, both.

I absolutely agree - having both sides of the tranny spinning makes things easier. However, the original poster said:

4--one thing i did not mentioned is its been about 2 days that shifting started being stiffer or harder at times to get in gear
I took that to mean he found it hard to shift the bike while he was riding it, not when it was sitting still. I could be wrong about that though.

You are spot on for that, hard shifting when riding and bad clunking from neutral to first.

I did get a call from the dealer today, he says Yamaha advised them to look at the bike. So next week they will have it for a few days, for sure i will talk to them on the clutch plate issue , could they be sticking or not.

If the plates are sticking would that cause the bike to roll when i started it in neutral, maybe when i put it in neutral it did not due to the plates but fooled the system making it think it was on neutral.

Stay toon for updates !!

Last edited by a moderator:
You are spot on for that, hard shifting when riding and bad clunking from neutral to first.
I did get a call from the dealer today, he says Yamaha advised them to look at the bike. So next week they will have it for a few days, for sure i will talk to them on the clutch plate issue , could they be sticking or not.

If the plates are sticking would that cause the bike to roll when i started it in neutral, maybe when i put it in neutral it did not due to the plates but fooled the system making it think it was on neutral.

Stay toon for updates !!
The plates could be welded together and it still wouldn't roll when you started it with the transmission in neutral. The clutch plates connect the motor to the input shaft of the tranny. If the clutch plates then the input shaft of the tranny will spin. However, it's the output shaft of the tranny that spins the rear wheel and if the tranny is in neutral there is no mechanical linkage between the input and the output shafts. Sure, if the bike is on the centerstand and the tranny is in neutral your can get the rear wheel to turn when starting the engine due to the viscous coupling caused by the tranny oil. But that won't be enough force on the rear wheel to propel the bike at all if it's on the ground.

It's akin to stirring a bucket of oil with a stick. If the bucket is suspended by a string there is no friction to keep the bucket from spinning as you stir it (i.e. the tire is off the ground). Once you put the bucket on the ground no amount of stirring is going to cause the bucket to spin.

Bike has been in the shop since last wednesday, stopped in today to get an update. Well they did not have much to say besides telling me one mecanic took it out for a ride and did not feel anything out of place. The service manager told me it would be good to call Yamaha which i did, so now Yamaha has and open file. I dont have a good feeling that my issue will be resolved at this point, maybe something will brake eventually.