bike jumped on neutral

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kid41

Reaction score
I had my first mishap while starting my bike. It was in neutral so I didn't bother with the clutch; besides the oil was warm enough. The bike was on its side stand so I wanted to start the bike while I was getting ready. I hit the start button and she leaps forward!! Scared the *** out of me! I was lodged between the bike and my house. After it was all said and done, the mirror was scuffed but it could have been worse. I'm glad the house was there to stop me from falling and the bike from rolling on its side. Anyway's, I was dissapointed about getting my first scratch.

(Edited for those who are sensitive to proper English and blogging etiquette.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Um, I think you are saying that the bike was on the sidestand, but perhaps the sidestand was not all the way forward, and when you started it the vibration caused it to ease forward and fall off the stand. Do I understand that right? If that's what happened then you are not alone. Some people have modified the side stand stop to allow it to move a little more forward. Others, icluding me, just make sure the stand is all the way forward and give the bike a little push rearward to make sure it is secure. And some people park in first gear so it can't roll forward.

Or are you saying that somehow the power was delivered to the rear wheel and drove the bike forward?

Had my first mishap with starting on neutral, did not bother with holding clutch when starting cause i knew oil was warm enought, bike on side stand thought id start bike while i was getting ready to ride so i press start button and there she goes frigging scare me, i was lodge between the bike and the house, scuff the mirror but could have been worse if the wall was not there to stop the bike of rolling on its side, needless to say i was dissapointed.
I thought bike needed to have the side stand down and the clutch in to start. At least that is what I always do.

Scott

I'm not sure what kid41 said :blink: Though it did start with a capital and end with a period :)

The starter motor should not engage if the side stand is down and the transmission is in gear -- unless the clutch is pulled in. Perhaps Geezer's take is correct.

The other scenario is that the clutch plates are sticking like they have been known to do in some '07s. It is normal to have a small amount of rear wheel movement when the bike is in neutral and on the center stand but there should be virtually no force to it.

If this near disaster is due to power being applied to the rear wheel with the transmission in neutral get your under warranty bike back to the dealer and don't let him tell you that it is normal.

About a year ago, I remember a thread on a similar topic. At the time, I would have sworn up and down and bet big money that my 06 FJR would NOT start without the clutch disengaged, regardless of whether or not it was in Neutral. I learned then that I would have lost that bet!

Because I've had several false neutrals in pretty much every bike I've owned, I ALWAYS keep the clutch in when starting, and ALWAYS slowly release it with the brake on until I verify it is in neutral.

Though it did start with a capital and end with a period :)
How on Earth did you manage to get that far?
You guys must be retired english teachers, maybe in the future you can fix my errors duhhhh

To answer the common sense questions:

1--bike was on side stand properly

2-- it was on 1st gear and i put it on neutral

3--i know about the little jerk when the bike is cold, but it was warm

4--one thing i did not mentioned is its been about 2 days that shifting started being stiffer or harder at times to get in gear

Did go to the dealer and they scratched their head and asked me what i wanted them to do :angry: , anyway buddy is suppose to call Yamaha(period)

Meanwhile i am making sure that i do hold the brake when starting.

I'm not sure what kid41 said :blink: Though it did start with a capital and end with a period :)
The starter motor should not engage if the side stand is down and the transmission is in gear -- unless the clutch is pulled in. Perhaps Geezer's take is correct.

The other scenario is that the clutch plates are sticking like they have been known to do in some '07s. It is normal to have a small amount of rear wheel movement when the bike is in neutral and on the center stand but there should be virtually no force to it.

If this near disaster is due to power being applied to the rear wheel with the transmission in neutral get your under warranty bike back to the dealer and don't let him tell you that it is normal.
+1. That is how I read the report of this mishap.

Bike in neutral should always start. Clutch in or out. Side stand deployed or not. And clearly it should not leap into the closest available wall...

You guys must be retired english teachers, maybe in the future you can fix my errors duhhhh
To answer the common sense questions:

1--bike was on side stand properly

2-- it was on 1st gear and i put it on neutral

3--i know about the little jerk when the bike is cold, but it was warm

4--one thing i did not mentioned is its been about 2 days that shifting started being stiffer or harder at times to get in gear

Did go to the dealer and they scratched their head and asked me what i wanted them to do :angry: , anyway buddy is suppose to call Yamaha(period)

Meanwhile i am making sure that i do hold the brake when starting.
Sure sounds like sticking clutch plates. Tell your dealer what to do (as opposed to where to go), have him call Yamaha and talk to them about the need to soak clutch plates to cure sticking. Click on search and copy paste this exact line, including the quote marks "sticking clutch plates" and it will lead you to 5-6 threads that will give you good history and an idea of what dealers are doing. This will help you get your dealers ass going in the right direction.

Because I've had several false neutrals in pretty much every bike I've owned, I ALWAYS keep the clutch in when starting, and ALWAYS slowly release it with the brake on until I verify it is in neutral.

I just got into the habit of pulling in the front brake and hitting the starter with my thumb..be it on the bike or off. ..only takes one hand this way.

ionbeam do you think i should push for them to chk the clutch plates, i did not mention on my first thread that i only have 2600 km, i may still have some miles to go before everything meshes together. Actualy that is what the dealer said today .

ionbeam do you think i should push for them to chk the clutch plates, i did not mention on my first thread that i only have 2600 km, i may still have some miles to go before everything meshes together. Actualy that is what the dealer said today .
If you were experiencing power being delivered to the rear wheel while in neutral something is wrong. I still suggest that you try the search I mentioned earlier. Read all of the following threads and see if their problems sound like what you are beginning to experience. Read about their experience in dealing with the dealers. This will help you be prepared when you go to have your problem fixed.

Thread 1

Thread 2

Thread 3

Some dealers went after a quick bleed job, some went after the clutch slave cylinder but none fixed the problem until they included a clutch disassembly and plate soaking. Several owners that have done the job themselves report having found a very thick, sticky grease like material coating the clutch plates.

don't know when or why i picked it up, but i already have at least one brake on and the clutch in during all starts. maybe it was a buckin' bronc of a bike in the dim past of my early riding days.

It sounds to me, like a false netural (light on, but slightly in gear). Or a bad sidestand switch.

Sticking clutch plates would not make a difference if the bike was in netural.

Actually, it does. When your FJR is cold, put it on the center stand, put it in neutral and start 'er up. Does the rear tire spin? That spin is from the viscous coupling from the oil and the clutch plates. It's much worse when the clutch plates actually stick.

Actually, it does. When your FJR is cold, put it on the center stand, put it in neutral and start 'er up. Does the rear tire spin? That spin is from the viscous coupling from the oil and the clutch plates. It's much worse when the clutch plates actually stick.
Thanks Ionbeam..

I was just about to post your statements too!!

WW

'mike25':....Sticking clutch plates would not make a difference if the bike was in netural.
If the clutch is engaged -- it's out of the loop (complete drag -- solid). If it's disengaged -- it can/may cause some 'drag'; if the engine/oil is cold (thick), the plates are faulty or gummed, or it doesn't fully release.

It's the meshed gears on the rotating g/box shafts that can cause some minimal drag -- in neutral.

In this case:

'kid41': I didn't bother with the clutch; besides the oil was warm
neither was the case.