Bike Overheating Plus Brake Line Leak

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reaction57

Reaction score
I have a 06A with some issues and thought I would ask for help on both.

Back ground info. Over the downtime of winter I did a audiovox cruise install. Fired bike up for first time this season and bike is overheating now. I of course removed the coolant pipe to install cruise servo. So I did drain some coolant out to remove the pipe. So question why is bike overheating now. Did I induce air into the system or is it something else? Can I run bike with radiator cap removed to rid the system of air? Any info or insite on this is greatly appreciated!

Second question while bike was sitting my front right (as you look at bike) brake line started leaking. Is this a common problem with these or is it just a coincidence? Whats the fix for this. I noticed when doing some looking that i have to order the whole line for both calipers. Again any help with this issue is also greatly appreciated!

Thanks to the forum for all the great help I have received!

Steve

As far as the overheating is concerned - it does sound to me like you have introduced an air lock. I would drain the fluid completely and then refill SLOWLY to ensure you don't trap any air. I have never had a need to run the engine with the radiator cap removed.

Not really understanding your brake problem - can you post some pics? Where exactly is the fluid leaking from? The calliper seals, the fitting, or..........

Make sure the fluid leak is from the brake. Could be a fork seal and the fluid will run down onto the caliper.

It is possible to introduce an airlock into the cooling system that can cause the bike to seem to overheat. Some have had luck "burping" the cooling system by running the bike until the thermostat opens with the rad cap off and getting the air out that way. If that does not work for you then you will have to drain and refill as per Donal's suggestion.

Steve,

Let us know if it's really the brake line leaking. As mentioned above it could be the right side fork seal.

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tips! I was able to get the air outta the cooling system. So my overheating issue is gone!

As others pointed out it does appear that I have a fork seal leaking. Since I got to put some miles on it finally. The fork seal started to show its ugly side. Bike was sitting so when I looked it over to me it seemed to be the brake line. So where do I go from here. I wanted to do a fork upgrade but that was gonna be a winter downtime chore! What's the average turn around time to have a fork upgraded completed?

AGAIN MANY THANKS TO THE FORUM AND ITS MEMBERS!!!!!

Depending on the exact problem, it might be worth trying a Sealmate (or reasonable facimile you cut from a piece of thin flexible plastic).

https://sealmate.net/

Won't cost you anything to try other than 15 minutes of your time. If much has leaked out, you might need to top off the fork oil but I wouldn't worry about it if its only a few millilitres.

If it doesn't work, you are in for several hours of dealer service time. Don't just replace the seals - if you have a lot of miles on it, the bushings are probably in need of changing while you are at it.

Steve,

In an attempt to save you from some "abuse", let me suggest that you do a google search, type this: leaking fork seals site:fjrforum.com.

This will give you tons of information that may take you awhile to digest, some of the information might enable you to temporarily repair the seal, all the way to giving you instructions to replace your seals and literally completely rebuild the fork tubes! It just depends on how ambitious you are, what your skill set is, and also, your patience.

When my FJR developed a leak in the right side fork seal, I searched the forum, and found all the info I needed to basically fabricate tools, buy tools, and replace the seal, and to rebuild the fork with new components. The components only cost about $70 and about 4 hours of my time. However, before I did this work I found solutions that temporarily fixed the problem (for over a year), which was definitely worth my time! Anyway,I never asked a single question about the process on the forum, the information was already here!

Good Luck!!!

Thanks for the tips! I was able to get the air outta the cooling system. So my overheating issue is gone! As others pointed out it does appear that I have a fork seal leaking. Since I got to put some miles on it finally. The fork seal started to show its ugly side. Bike was sitting so when I looked it over to me it seemed to be the brake line. So where do I go from here. I wanted to do a fork upgrade but that was gonna be a winter downtime chore! What's the average turn around time to have a fork upgraded completed? AGAIN MANY THANKS TO THE FORUM AND ITS MEMBERS!!!!!
BTW, if you lived closer, you could just bring it here (with the parts), and we'd fix it. There may be some "Tech Days" in your area too. I'd search for those also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know there is a ton of info on this forum. Wasn't asking how to fix was merely inquiring on how long it would take to have them rebuilt by a shop. I don't feel cofident in my own skills to do the job myself plus I was interested in doing a upgrade at the same time.

Yeah I wish there was some closer Tech Days around me. All seem to be a long ride away.

Thanks to the forum again! Will try the sealmate.

You can do a temporary fix..... if the Sealmate or plastic film trick doesn't work. Remove leaky fork and carefully pry out the dust seal, then remove retainer ring and pry out the old seal by punching a sharp awl into it (have fun). Replace with new in reverse order. Then someday do your fork upgrade.