Black plastic rivet-type fasteners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The General

Reaction score
I am not sure of the proper name for these things, but I need a part number for them. They are black plastic rivet-type fasteners that snap two panels together, usually on the fairings. One end is flat and the other is pointed and expands when you slide it.

I have a 2006 FJR1300A.

There is a photo of one on this page:

https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=7

Again, I am looking for a part number to order some replacements. :)

Thank you!

There are several different ones with different part numbers. Go to Yamaha's website and find their parts fiche. There you can find the part number for every part on your FJR!!!

Can often get generic black plastic rivet thingies in boxes of a dozen or so, which is significantly less money than the OEM ones, and indistinguishable from them.

Griff

I got some pretty much like the OEM ones at O'Reilly's for about 1/10 of the price. Be sure you bring in one of the OEM's to match because the generics come in several sizes. WBill

I got some pretty much like the OEM ones at O'Reilly's for about 1/10 of the price. Be sure you bring in one of the OEM's to match because the generics come in several sizes. WBill
Awesome! I will try there since there is one close to me. The dealership wanted $2.30 for one!!!

I had one spot on my dash that originally took a regular allen-head screw, up at the top of panel--um--a? b? c? well, the upper right one. There was a retainer clip that broke back there and the screw had nothing to bite on. I left it out a while, but didn't like the gap between the panel and the fairing that was left. Then I thought of sticking an extra plastic fastener like we're talking about here in that hole and it works great. It's held fine for months.

I've been considering replacing more--maybe all--of those screws on the panel with these rivets to make removal easier, like in roadside situations where battery access is needed, maybe even in the dark. I suppose they're probably not quite as secure as metal screws, but there's not much stress on them. What do you folks think about trying this?

I had one spot on my dash that originally took a regular allen-head screw, up at the top of panel--um--a? b? c? well, the upper right one. There was a retainer clip that broke back there and the screw had nothing to bite on. I left it out a while, but didn't like the gap between the panel and the fairing that was left. Then I thought of sticking an extra plastic fastener like we're talking about here in that hole and it works great. It's held fine for months.

I've been considering replacing more--maybe all--of those screws on the panel with these rivets to make removal easier, like in roadside situations where battery access is needed, maybe even in the dark. I suppose they're probably not quite as secure as metal screws, but there's not much stress on them. What do you folks think about trying this?
I think with the shit that happens to you with FJRs you should keep it well maintained as close to OEM as possible and quit trying to think of ways to dork up your poor FJR!!!

I like the idea but I also like shiny screws. :)

with the shit that happens to you with FJRs you should keep it well maintained as close to OEM as possible and quit trying to think of ways to dork up your poor FJR!!!
Really? Because I was thinking about nailing my tank bag on to keep the wind from blowing it off. What do you think, 20d nails?

You might consider trying the same thing in place of a strap to keep your helmet on nice and tight. :arrowheadsmiley:

with the shit that happens to you with FJRs you should keep it well maintained as close to OEM as possible and quit trying to think of ways to dork up your poor FJR!!!
Really? Because I was thinking about nailing my tank bag on to keep the wind from blowing it off. What do you think, 20d nails?

You might consider trying the same thing in place of a strap to keep your helmet on nice and tight. :arrowheadsmiley:
Hey! You ask a stupid question..............

:finger:

Hey! You ask a stupid question..............

:finger:
Yeh, what's the matter with me? Yamaha did everything perfect the first time. That's why nobody ever puts on an aftermarket seat. Or lights. Or hand grips, Or brake cables. Or a windscreen. Or cruise control. Or grip warmers.

Or a freaking CAR TIRE.

Oh, yeah, and . :finger: