Blowing Upshifts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dj Brady

Reaction score
Looks like it's time to make some adjustments to the controls.. after a month on the Yummy, it's time to adjust the shifter up a couple degrees. I'm finding myself not letting the shifter go all the way back to center to catch the ratchet mechanism for the next upshift.

Anyone else do this?

Looks like it's time to make some adjustments to the controls.. after a month on the Yummy, it's time to adjust the shifter up a couple degrees. I'm finding myself not letting the shifter go all the way back to center to catch the ratchet mechanism for the next upshift.

Anyone else do this?
Nope. I have an AE and my finger releases perfectly every time. Provided the little green light is on.

Yup. Piece of cake. Had to do it on my SuperHawk when I got new boots, and did it on the FJR, too. Two minute job, and helps a lot.

Anyone else do this?
Nope. I have an AE and my finger releases perfectly every time. Provided the little green light is on.

LOL.. yeah yeah. :)

Have the same problem occasionally, depending on which pair of boots I'm wearing. It's good with the hiking boots that I wear to work, and it's bad with my thicker soled "riding only" boots.

You'll see two hash marks on the cover and one on the lever. Not sure why, but you're supposed to stay between the hash marks when you adjust the lever.

If you are running the stock shifter arm (top one), you need to upgrade to a 2000 R-1 arm for shorter throws. I just drilled and tapped a new hole on the long stock arm and now have no more shifting issues.

Sredder

08 A

05 A

02 FZ 1

My problem early on was upshifting too hard instead of letting it do it's thing. Very frustrating for sure. Once I figured out what I was doing shifts smooth. (Might not be your problem but I'd thought I'd throw that out there).

:) My issue is just that I'm not letting the lever drop back to ratchet for the next upshift. I lower the toe but not enough so it's not caught to make the next upshift.. I just need to adjust the shifter up a couple of degrees.

I know exactly what my problem is, I'm just venting. :crazy:

Only problem I have is close to 140 mph, I thought I blew the engine, I forgot to upshift.

Bike works great, this rider needs an adjustment. :eek: