BMW Grip Installation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill

Reaction score
I want to install BMW Handgrips on my 2006 but I don't know how to take up the extra space on the throttle side. I have a Audiovox Cruise Control and not a Vista Cruise to take up the gap.

Thanks

ck the fjrtech site, maybe that will help. I have the bmw sport grips w/vista cruise, got instructions from the fjrtech site.

When I had them on my bike I just found a "center" point so they looked balanced. A small gap on each end of the grip looked better to my eye and didn't affect the "feel".

If it really bothers you, go buy some rubber hose or thick felt to make a spacer to fill the gap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a hack saw to shorten the throttle tube to fit the BMW grips. (make sure you smooth the cut on the throttle tube by filing/sanding and remove any debris to keep the throttle from dragging) I then measured, center punched, and drilled new holes in the handlebar for new locator pin positions for the controls. This allowed me to slide the controls outboard to take up the extra space from using shorter grips. Some folks grind down the locator pins but I preferred to keep them and drill new holes. You will also have to drill a new locator pin hole in the left side handlebar.

I later installed a G2 throttle tube and shortened it the same way. Everything looks original and works fine with a Throttlemeister.

Go to any shop catering to dirt bikers and ask for "grip donuts" - they're small donuts of foam rubber perfect for this application. Alternatively, you can simply stretch the grip a bit and/or balance the gap - it isn't very much.

- Mark