BrakeAway Throttle lock and heated grips??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rysaman

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used the BrakeAway brand throttle lock in conjunction with Oxford brand heated grips. The product description says the throttle lock can’t be used with heated grips installed, not sure why if they fit the diameter of the grips. Does anyone have any first hand experience? I have a 2007 FJR and want to know if I should make the purchase even though I have heated grips. If this won’t work does anyone know a quality throttle lock that will work for a cruise control option?? Thanks.

Kaoko throttle lock works fine with factory heated grips.
As does Throttlemeister, although you need to be careful with installation. Perhaps a moot point since they are no longer sold...
I like mine, but don't use it very often. Just to give my right hand a break for a couple minutes.

1687900576237.png

I have a Throttlemeister on my ST1100 and just put a Kaoko on my FJR. Throttlemeister engages just by laying my pinkie on it as I'm opening the throttle while I have to crank on the Kaoko to get it to hold the throttle open. Besides that it does work and looks unobtrusive.

Has anyone ever used the BrakeAway brand throttle lock in conjunction with Oxford brand heated grips. The product description says the throttle lock can’t be used with heated grips installed, not sure why if they fit the diameter of the grips. Does anyone have any first hand experience? I have a 2007 FJR and want to know if I should make the purchase even though I have heated grips. If this won’t work does anyone know a quality throttle lock that will work for a cruise control option?? Thanks.
I would be interested in knowing this also, as I have installed the BrakeAway on my 2003. Don't have heated grips, and considering the Oxford. I have tried all the throttle locks; atlas, kaoko, throttlemeister; the BrakeAway is the best in my experience and unsolicited opinion.

FWIW, I tried an amazon clone of the Brakeaway and found the bar to be in the way of the wire when twisting the throttle. I then installed a Vista Cruise, and couldn't be happier. Cheap, easy to install and just works. I use it many times on every ride.

Good conversation. I use the Vista Cruise on my other sport bike, but chose the MC Cruise for the FJR. Cost about $1000US, installation was easy. Very good on the highways out west.

I ride a 2007 FJR1300. I had a throttle lock and did not like it. I still had to fiddle with the throttle to maintain speed on uphills, downhills, etc. If it wasn't tightened enough, handlebar vibration would allow the throttle to decrease. If you tightened it enough to prevent that from happening, it was difficult to roll off the throttle. I figured it was an accident waiting to happen.
Instead I went with this:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/crampbuster-cruise-control. I feel in control of the bike and I no longer get cramps in my wrist.

I ride a 2007 FJR1300. I had a throttle lock and did not like it. I still had to fiddle with the throttle to maintain speed on uphills, downhills, etc. If it wasn't tightened enough, handlebar vibration would allow the throttle to decrease. If you tightened it enough to prevent that from happening, it was difficult to roll off the throttle. I figured it was an accident waiting to happen.
Instead I went with this:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/crampbuster-cruise-control. I feel in control of the bike and I no longer get cramps in my wrist.
I never rely on the throttle lock to maintain a steady speed over a period of time - won't work anyway except on flat terrain. I just use it to give the right hand a short break from time-to-time The Throttlemeister doesn't tend to slack off much if adjusted correctly. My issues are more hand pain/cramp due to some arthritis rather than wrist.

I have never been comfortable with Crampbusters (I have tried one, but not for an extended period of time). While fine for a highway cruise, I would remove it before riding in town or on twisty roads. For me, there seems too great a risk of goosing the throttle when trying to grab some brake in an emergency.
As always, YMMV.

I have never been comfortable with Crampbusters (I have tried one, but not for an extended period of time). While fine for a highway cruise, I would remove it before riding in town or on twisty roads. For me, there seems too great a risk of goosing the throttle when trying to grab some brake in an emergency.
As always, YMMV.
Been there...done that. I never put one back on. I will, however, happily take that useless Throttlemeister off your hands.

Last edited:
Been there...done that. I never put one back on. I will, however, happily take that useless Throttlemeister off you hands.
I like the Throttlemeister for the Bling as well as for the occasional use for hand relief. They came with the bike - I probably wouldn't have gone out and bought a set...

Hi, how did you end up. Did you purchase the Brakeaway?. If so, did it fit? Struggling with the same thing....

Hi, considering the same solution. Could you be so kind and post some pictures of it. I would love to see how it looks, and how It fitted. I have the '07 mod with heated faktory mounted grips. Thanks in advance.

May I ask why you are determined to use a Breakaway? You've asked on more than 1 board, which is OK, but there are other options.

May I ask why you are determined to use a Breakaway? You've asked on more than 1 board, which is OK, but there are other options.
It looks like a good prudukt, and easy to use. And I like that break lever function very much. I've ask a lot about this, I know... but there is so much hassle with returning if it don't fit, or if it is the wrong model....

Hi, about the Brakeaway 7CP02 unit. I got the cheap one from Rydness, bought on Ebay in the mail today. Unpacked it, and took a look how it will fit... and yeees👍😂. It will work on my Fjr 1300 AS ( AE), with factory heated grip. Looked very nice to be 600 nok. inkluding vat and shipping. The original is about 2700 nok. inkluding vat and shipping.... so looking forward to mounting it.
All I had to do was to turn the break lever a littlebit...and I mean a little bit. So that's it folks. It going to work. I'll put out some pictures along the way, when I'm mounting it.
Geir Ove.
Ps.
Happy new year folks😊.
It will be a wile before I can take my lady out... snow.... alot of it.

Attachments

• 20240103_212559.jpg
    20240103_212559.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240101_132041.jpg
    20240101_132041.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240102_173840.jpg
    20240102_173840.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0