BMW S1000RR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the older guys for whom the ergonomics of the S1000RR or R1 don't work, I suggest a look at the K1300S. I have been playing musical bikes at my house the last month or so, and did some trading. I had a 2007 K1200Rsport, and this bike was my all time favorite ... I traded it earlier this Spring, but in the most recent trading activity, a 2010 K1300S with all the options was acquired. I finished breaking in the Rocket III Touring, and I am now working on the break in for the K1300S.

I really liked the K1200Rsport, but the K1300S takes the refinement to a new level. Those pesky Bavarians figured out things that I did not even think of as issues, and fixed them. I think this is going to be the new all time favorite.

Back to the original issue though.... I thought long and hard about an S1000RR as part of the trading whirlwind. A fully equipped S1000RR and a fully equipped K1300S have similar price tags. Both have similarly priced special liveries that can be ordered.

The S1000RR is probably 100 pounds lighter, it has a conventional suspension, a chain drive, and a highly developed motor (at least for something that is going to carry a warranty).

The K1300S has more room in the cockpit, a more comfortable seat and wind screen, a BMW proprietary style suspension, and a bigger, albeit less highly developed motor. But the motor is bigger, and has more torque at usable speeds. The torque curve is very flat. And you can add expandable sport panniers if you like to give the bike extra versatility as, perhaps, the very sportiest of the sport touring style motorcycles.

In riding the K1300S on daily break in loops (twisties up and down the Cumberland Plateau for an hour or two), I have been surprised at how much more comfortable this bike is compared to my 2007 K1200Rsport. The seat and the general cockpit position are working really well for me (I'm 59 and pretty heavy). If you want something up there in the 175 hp range, with modest weight (about 100 pounds lighter than the FJR), and tricks like electronic shift assist, traction control, electronic suspension adjustment, etc., and if you're not suited to the S1000RR ergonomics, take a look at the K1300S.

I honestly think that if the K1300S had arrived here before the Rocket III Touring, I might not have been looking for the Rocket III Touring. FWIW, this is the first time since I was young that I've got two bikes that are genuinely comfortable to ride without having to buy an aftermarket seat.

This guy is me on the new BMW.

BMW%20S1000RR.jpg

If they blow out the 2010 S1000RR in November, I'll probably end up with one. I won't be able to resist.

I'm getting the first service on the K1300S in the morning. This bike is as much fun as the Xmoto, and as delightful as the K1200Rsport.

Meanwhile, the Rocket III Rocks too!

I have about 2000 miles on the S1000 now. I took a three day trip on her up the "Devil's Highway" (Formerly US666, now AZ191) to Springerville, AZ one weekend. Not all day riding, but severl hours in the saddle each day. Not bad at all. I want to do a longer trip. I think I could handle it just fine. The one thing that makes it able to do a trip like that is that it is SO DAMN MUCH FUN TO RIDE! I just love this thing. If a longer trip works out, I may never get on the FJR agian. I went from a big fat Harley to the FJR and thought I was in HOG heaven (pun intended). Now down to this Sport bike is almost the same amount of change. My body weight has dropped almost as much as the bike migration. Down to 200 from 435lbs, down 26 inches around my waist - no kidding. It's a new life. That's why I can sit on the S1000RR all day.

I thought the no windshield would be a really big deal. The only bad thing is that I have to clean the bugs off my face shield every time I stop for gas. But I have that covered thanks to someone (sorry I don't remember) at last years SW-FOG in Page, AZ. (glass cleaner towlets in bag like baby wipes - WalMart)

I got the large size Giant Loop (from https://www.fullthrottlecamping.com or https://www.giantloopmoto.com) and put it on the back seat. I have a Wolfman bag that can go on top of that if I need more room for a really long trip which will be held on by ROK STRAPS. All of these product highly recommended! The Giant loops sits really low and I never even noticed it was there until I got off the bike. Great kit.

As fast as you want to go. Probably fast than you want to go. It just never runs out of power. And it feels SO LIGHT. Dang, I have to end this now. I gotta go for a quick ride (tomorrow, it's late.)

DK

I would love to get my hands on the BMW with all the rider assists. Rode one on the track recently and could not believe the responsiveness of the throttle management system, ABS, etc. Then I got back on my Honda. No comparison, even though the Honda is track prepped with a slipper clutch and rebuilt suspension. I could not keep up with the BMr no matter how hard I tried.... and the Honda is not slow.