Bolt missing after dealer installed Avons

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

git-r-dan

one of those musician types
Reaction score
Just need to know if there's a bolt around this one that matches. There's not a like bolt on the right side. Also, not sure what this is for (the grimmy that I am), maybe something important, like brakes? And I was bragging about how good the customer service was. :blink:

While washing the bike, getting ready for a long road trip this coming Thursday, I spotted it. I rode about 3 hours home from the dealer with it like this. Hope nothing else is loose. They will hear from me in the morning.

DSCN32170001.jpg

DSCN32180002.jpg

I have the service manual but couldn't locate the part/bolt. We have a local bolt and screw place that, probably, would have it if I knew the description.

Sorry, just panicking a little.

Looks like its the ABS sensor.

Its going to be a metric bolt, but what size I don't know. Maybe a 6mm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the one I lost, (or was not put on by the dealer) shortly after purchase of the bike. If that is the front wheel, it is the ABS sensor, and there is one just like it on the rear wheel.

Measure the depth needed for threads, and/or take the one off the rear and screw it in to see if it is the same length needed, and take the bolt to a Fastenall store or the dealer and get a replacement. I can't give you the size/part number because the local dealer just handed it to me and said forget about the $. Bigger chain stores should have the bolt in stainless, or at least the size you need in steel.

You can also just duct tape it on so that the sensor doesn't fall out until you get the bolt.

B)

Just need to know if there's a bolt around this one that matches. There's not a like bolt on the right side. Also, not sure what this is for (the grimmy that I am), maybe something important, like brakes? And I was bragging about how good the customer service was. :blink:
While washing the bike, getting ready for a long road trip this coming Thursday, I spotted it. I rode about 3 hours home from the dealer with it like this. Hope nothing else is loose. They will hear from me in the morning.

DSCN32170001.jpg

DSCN32180002.jpg

I have the service manual but couldn't locate the part/bolt. We have a local bolt and screw place that, probably, would have it if I knew the description.

Dan I believe thats the front wheel pickup sensor for your abs(anti skid). If needed I will rob one from my bike so your trip isnt delayed.-Let me know

Since your dealership FUBAR'ed this up, I would check every bolt up there, especially the four holding the brake calipers on.

You can ride about 200-250 mile with them loose and never even notice.... don't ask how I know.

It should be the following part number btw...

BOLT, BUTTON HEAD 92014-08016-00

DSCN32170001.jpg

DSCN32180002.jpg

Dan I believe thats the front wheel pickup sensor for your abs(anti skid). If needed I will rob one from my bike so your trip isnt delayed.-Let me know
I looked at the rear it looks the same if needed you could remove it (metric allen wrench) for a sample-probably have problems finding a socket head bolt (dealer or bolt specialty store) but it looks like you have room for a standard hex head metric bolt (local auto parts should have)

although I can't find the part number or length of the bolt -- if it's an '06 -- the torque is 22 ft-lb.

That is definately your abs sensor bolt.

It is made of very soft metal,don't overtorque it or you 'll be saying some choice words.

If i were you I'd check the torque specks on all the bolts on your front end related to that tire change.

Looks like the one I lost, (or was not put on by the dealer) shortly after purchase of the bike. If that is the front wheel, it is the ABS sensor, and there is one just like it on the rear wheel.
Got the one off the rear wheel and it fit perfectly. I'll go to CC Bolt & Screw tomorrow and match it. Duct tape was a consideration. CCTX - thanks for that offer.

Thanks to all, I can sleep well tonight.

although I can't find the part number or length of the bolt -- if it's an '06 -- the torque is 22 ft-lb.
Rick-thats a lot for that small bolt-any chance the specs are wrong?
possibly -- the whole world thinks that the oil drain bolt torque is too high per the manual - -check the mfg. torque in the manual.

Got the one off the rear wheel and it fit perfectly. I'll go to CC Bolt & Screw tomorrow and match it. Duct tape was a consideration. CCTX - thanks for that offer.

Just make sure that the dealer knows about this error and replaces the bolt, even if you got yourself geared up on your own. People do make mistakes, but missing bolts on a motorcycle can have fatal consequences and should be addressed. As someone else stated, check to make sure everything else is in it's place and tight. This is a big part of the reason I do most of the work on mine myself, no-one else to blame.

Last edited by a moderator:
dan,

if you can't locate one at the hardware store, i have one from my fj. as soon as i saw your pic i knew what it was, it sure looks like the same setup as the abs on my 92(s). i don't know if it's the same bolt or not, but if you're in a jam, i can get it in the mail to you tomorrow. let me know if you need it.

Since this the ABS sensor, be careful about the bolt you use. I believe the sensor works on the magnetic field with the ring in the hub. Make sure you get the approriate material. Using a common ferrous (mild steel) bolt might confuse the ABS. It's probably stainless steel, I don't think it's aluminium.

Just make sure that the dealer knows about this error and replaces the bolt, even if you got yourself geared up on your own. People do make mistakes, but missing bolts on a motorcycle can have fatal consequences and should be addressed. As someone else stated, check to make sure everything else is in it's place and tight. This is a big part of the reason I do most of the work on mine myself, no-one else to blame.
Noticed it gone after about 2000 miles, so it may have worked loose rather than have been left off. Stuff happens, and I don't blame somebody else if I don't make the effort to check it myself. Thanks for the suggestion tho'.

B)

I can say with fair accuracy that anytime somebody else lays hands on my bike, they somehow fuck it up. It's somewhat comforting to see that it isn't just me....

Now I have to go buy some tire-changing tools. Group buy?

This is cool, the way all you guys are willing to jump in and help a guy out with something as simple as a missing bolt.

A1 people on this forum.

B)