Brake Pads?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have to vigorously disagree with everyone suggesting Carbonne Lorraine pads. I put them on my FJR when the OEM pads were worn and the CL pads wore out 2.5 times as fast as the OEM ones did and also trashed my front rotors in the process. Both front rotors were below spec for thickness and had a wavy appearance along the surface. There was no difference in how I used brakes or any other factor to explain the difference in wear.

After buying some used rotors off fleabay, I'm back to using OEM pads. Why mess with a good thing?

Not to disagree with everything in this thread, I do think it's a good idea to rotate the front pads for us Gen II owners. The front left caliper (inboard pads I believe) pads wear much quicker than the others, so I plan on rotating when I change front tires.

BTW, the front right caliper rearmost pads are actuated by the rear brake. So depending on your rear brake usage, you might not need to replace those anytime soon.
:clapping: :clapping:

Gen 1

OEM on front always

on rear last time, I put cheapo $15 pads on the rear

my reason was I wanted much less sensitive stopping power to avoid a high side which came very close in a stoppee just over a hill on the interstate in Chattanooga at rush hour.

I liked it that way but when Aaron my mechanic replaced wheel bearings front and back, he found all the pads thin and replaced them with EBC organic without asking me about it. I would have rathered going with OEM front and back, but I guess we'll see. It all feels fine, but I'm not hard on my brakes at all.

I replaced the rears with the EBC Sintered H&H pads. I might have done the front too, but now I don't remember. Either way, the bike stops as well as it ever did and my rotors are healthy.
...I have had TERRIBLE luck with EBC organics. I like to refer to them as "vaporware" since they dissolve into brake dust in about 5000 miles...OEMs, which should last 50k miles or thereabouts...
'Zilla, you will know the pads are toast when your wheels stop continuously turning black from brake dust.

I have also had very poor mileage with the EBC pads. Last fall I ended up putting on EBC pads which I hope will be for the last time. The only thing I hate as much as the short life is the copious amount of sticky brake dust.
Haha...That's good info. I looked, and turns out I only replaced the rears. I just moved them around in the front, and at 43k, they still look pretty good. Given the commonality of the reviews here, I think I'll just suck it up and replace the fronts with OEMs when the time comes.

I replaced the rears with the EBC Sintered H&H pads. I might have done the front too, but now I don't remember. Either way, the bike stops as well as it ever did and my rotors are healthy.
...I have had TERRIBLE luck with EBC organics. I like to refer to them as "vaporware" since they dissolve into brake dust in about 5000 miles...OEMs, which should last 50k miles or thereabouts...
'Zilla, you will know the pads are toast when your wheels stop continuously turning black from brake dust.

I have also had very poor mileage with the EBC pads. Last fall I ended up putting on EBC pads which I hope will be for the last time. The only thing I hate as much as the short life is the copious amount of sticky brake dust.
Haha...That's good info. I looked, and turns out I only replaced the rears. I just moved them around in the front, and at 43k, they still look pretty good. Given the commonality of the reviews here, I think I'll just suck it up and replace the fronts with OEMs when the time comes.
:thumbsupsmileyanim:

With 65k on my 06 and an upcoming two up 12 day CO, UT, AZ ride, I thought I'd replace the brake pads on my FJR. I priced the Yammies, and OUCH! A bit pricey even with my local dealer discount. The EBC were quite a bit cheaper, and I trust EBC to make a good pad. Just, it is the one for the FJR?

Any thoughts on either pad? Both work the same? What do you use? And is there a preferred pad? Maybe something different than stock for mountain two up semi aggressive riding?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Gary
Ebc works well but be prepared to buy rotors when you need pads again. The stock pads don't kill the rotors

+1 - EBC will eat the rotors. The OEM pads match the rotor material and do not eat the rotors. Stay OEM.

Interesting variety of opinions on pad longevity, damage to rotors etc. I installed a set of (front) EBC HH pads because they were half the cost of the OEM pads for a GEN II. So far, I have around 30,000 miles on them and they don't seem to be wearing any worse than the OEM. Rotors look good but I haven't actually measured them. I found very little difference from the OEM pads with respect to braking effectiveness or feel. I don't find excessive brake dust with the EBC's. Don't know whether I will go back to the OEM pads the next time or not.

Remember to inspect the pads at each tire change and swap inners and outers when you notice a significant difference in wear from one side to the other. You will probably get at least 25% more life out of them before you have to change. I didn't do that with the OEM pads and ended out with >50% left on one side with the other pretty much gone. I don't know whether this was partly due to a sticky piston or not. In any case, be sure to clean up the caliper and especially the pistons before you push the pistons back to install the new pads. Your seals will thank you for it.

Ross

As I have said in my experiences EBC is Vapor Ware.

The pads I have used produce a lot of brake dust and wear fast.

YMMV

I just changed my pads all around and have got 1500 miles of my normal transits on them. I had 34k miles on the original pads and the new are EBC HH and seem to be about the same braking as the originals. I had noise from the originals but nothing much, the EBC pads are quiet and no dusting so far.The rotors are looking okay too. I realize everybody gives differing rides to their scoot and get different pad wear but I'm hoping I don't experience some of the feedback I have read.