Brazoria County deputy fatally struck by truck

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRSTAR

Fuggin' Just Ride the best sport-tourer on the
Reaction score
Sheriff's deputy mourned at packed funeral

By Michael Wright

The Facts

Published December 10, 2005

ALVIN — As the bagpipes blared their mournful wail across the Confederate Cemetery in Alvin, the uniformed officers who had been standing at attention for so long finally crumbled, faces bursting into tears, precise lines of men and women dissolving into a sobbing mob.

Brazoria County Sheriff’s Deputy Jason Alexander Oliff was laid to rest Friday, remembered more for his smile and laughter than as an enforcer of the law.

Oliff, 27, of Amsterdam, was killed Monday morning on FM 2004 in front of the Innovene plant while working traffic during a shift change. He had worked for the sheriff’s department for four years.

More than 700 people, including officers from police departments as far away as Austin, gathered at the First United Methodist Church here to say goodbye to a comrade, brother, son and soulmate.

Oliff’s fiancée, Holly Bartuska, who had been with him for six years and referred to him as her husband, brought tears during her eulogy when she described the trip to Houston’s Memorial Hermann Hospital after Oliff was struck by a Dodge Ram pickup.

“I saw the LifeFlight helicopter fly across the sky and just then, the sun broke through the clouds,” Bartuska said. “I knew he was gone.”

Bartuska, a licensed nurse, said her worst fears were confirmed when the nurse at Hermann took her and Oliff’s brother Tim into a side room. Moments later the doctor came in and told her Oliff was dead.

“He was already cold,” she said in a firm voice. “I laid my head on his chest and held his hand and sang ‘Amazing Grace’ to him.”

Oliff patrolled the northern end of the county with Ronnie Falks and Chris Carson.

Carson, barely able to control his emotions, told the gathering that Oliff made him want to be a better person.

“What can I say to try to make sense of your tragic death?” Carson said. “I guess I could tell you now what I should have told you when I talked to you Monday morning. You’re one of the best friends I’ve ever had, and I love you brother.”

Oliff, Falks and Carson, along with deputies Mario Patillo and Michael Villarreal, carried plastic baby rattles as symbols of their solidarity. Oliff was buried with his.

Carson talked about how much Oliff wanted a new set of Callaway golf clubs like Carson’s.

“Instead, you and Holly spent your money on supplies for Katrina victims,” Carson said. “You were a spiritual role model for what we should all have inside us.”

But perhaps the most pointed comment came from someone who didn’t speak at the funeral.

Amy Kelly’s home was burglarized last week and it was Oliff who answered her call.

“He sat at our table and walked us through everything that would happen in the following weeks,” Kelly wrote in an e-mail to The Facts. “He showed us so much compassion. He talked to us with kindness as he tried to provide some level of comfort.”

Kelly wrote that Oliff epitomized what was best about law enforcement.

“Every man and woman that puts on a badge is brave beyond words,” she wrote. “I thank God every day that there are people who have made it their life’s mission to keep my family and me safe.”

An account in Oliff’s honor at BP Employees Credit Union to fund a scholarship through the 100 Club of Brazoria County. To donate, call the credit union at (281) 581-3269.

Jason Alexander Oliff

Brazoria County Sheriff’s Deputy Jason Alexander Oliff, born on February 4, 1978, was called to duty December 5, 2005.

Jason was a man with a loving and servant’s heart. His laugh, his humor and his devotion to others were infectious.

He had a God-given talent to put others at ease and lift their spirits. He was always there at a moment’s notice to lend a helping hand, an ear to listen or a shoulder to cry on. His devotion to duty and family were first and foremost in his life. This is evident in the number of friends and loved ones who have shown their love and affection for him.

Jason lived his life serving his faith, family and friends. Jason had three true loves in his life: Holly, his family, and his love of his buds, the “North End Rattle Posse” of the Brazoria County Sheriff’s Office (with a little mix of golf and Dale Earnhardt Sr. and Jr. thrown in).

Jason is survived by his best friend, soulmate and wife, Holly Bartuska-Oliff of Alvin, Texas; mother and stepfather, Janet and Jerry Brown Sr. of Liverpool, Texas; father, Herman Alan Oliff of North Carolina; grandparents, David and Wanda Cole of Clayton, Delaware; sisters, Jessica and Mandy Brown of Liverpool, Texas; brothers, Timmy Oliff of Alvin, Texas, and Jerry Brown Jr. and wife, Katy, of New Caney, Texas; nieces, Kaitlyn and Abigale Brown of New Caney, Texas; nephews, Rickey Bob Beard and Julian Alexander Brown of Liverpool, Texas, and Chance Clark-Moore and Jason Nelson Moore of Pearland, Texas; and numerous other relatives and loved ones.

Pallbearers include Chris Carson, Ronnie Falks, Mario Botello, Michael Villarreal, J.D. Green and Bobby Yanek.

Honorary pallbearers include Timmy Oliff, Jerry Brown Jr., Joseph Adams, Robert “Rab” Cole Jr. and John Goodrum.

The visitation will be held Thursday, December 8, 2005, from 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. at Jeter Memorial Funeral Home, 311 N. Friendswood Drive, Friendswood, TX 77546.

The funeral service will be held Friday, December 9, 2005, at 10:00 a.m. at The First United Methodist Church of Alvin, 611 W. South Street, Alvin, TX 77511, with the Rev. Linda Snow and the Rev. Jim Flagg officiating. Burial will follow in Confederate Cemetery in Alvin, Texas.

In lieu of flowers, memorials can be made to the Jason Oliff Memorial Fund, Chocolate Bayou Federal Credit Union, P.O. Box 1694, Alvin, TX 77512.

Rest easy, brother, you will never be forgotten, lay down your burdens, we’ve got the watch now.

Condolences to his family and friends during this tragic time.

This is never easy to take, but being so near the holiday season makes it even harder.

rip.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott - did you know him?

This happened in front of the plant where I work.

A contract worker at this site in a truck, who had been here for several months and was familiar with the traffic pattern due to plant turnaround activity, was following a woman in a car and when she slowed to make a right turn into the plant, he went around her on the left, in a double yellow line (actually quad yellow) no-passing zone where the road widened and split due to an oncoming left-turn lane from the other direction.

Officer was on the road in the center laying down flares and when the truck pulled around to the left to pass, there he was and hit him about 60 mph. I was delayed for over an our by stopped traffic. Truck driver was clearly in the wrong and killed someone because of it. All so he could get 1/4 mile down the road and turn into plant a little sooner.

Front of the truck had one of those cattle-guard bumpers and it really bent it up. Hit him hard. Should have never happened.

DPS was here investigating from 0530 until 1330 hours that day.

Last edited by a moderator:
from Houston Chronicle.

Sheriff's deputy dies after being hit by a pickup

He was placing flares on FM 2004 to direct traffic

A Brazoria County sheriff's deputy was struck by a pickup truck and killed while he was working a second job directing traffic at a BP Amoco chemical plant on FM 2004 early Monday.

Jason Alexander Oliff, 27, who joined the department four years ago, was placing flares on FM 2004 in preparation for shift-change traffic at the plant, when a vehicle driven by a plant employee struck him, Sheriff Charles Wagner said.

The flares are used to define a safety zone on the road outside the plant during shift changes, Wagner said.

Oliff was taken by helicopter to Memorial Hermann Hospital in Houston and pronounced dead there, Wagner said.

The accident occurred at about 5:20 a.m.

The pickup driver was going around another vehicle that was slowing to enter the plant when the pickup struck Oliff, said Texas Department of Public Safety Cpl. Todd Duke. Both vehicles were southbound, he said.

DPS troopers investigated the accident and will present evidence to a Brazoria County grand jury for a determination on whether any charges should be filed against the driver of the pickup, Duke said.

The preliminary investigation indicated no drugs or alcohol were involved but blood tests will be conducted, Duke said.

Oliff joined the department in July 2001 and worked as a jailer until transferring to the patrol division in October 2004.

Oliff was engaged to be married, Wagner said.

"Jason was a very good employee," Wagner said. "He was a very well-liked and very well-respected member of the department."

No ,Mike I do not know him, but a friend of mine may know him cause he knows quite a few of Brazoria County Deputies. I will ask him later today at the Goe Cycles Toy Run in Angleton. Kick stands up at 1:30.

I see quite a few deputies around living and riding here in the Brazosport area.

This truly sucks. If the driver had not gone around the car, this would not have happened. Shit happens.

Even though this can happen at any time, it really sucks that it is during the holiday season.

Later on Mike.....