Break In Length?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJReady

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
When my FJR was new, I measured fuel economy every tank. Eventually my interest waned and just stopped checking. But I'd do a ballpark guesstimate once in a while at fill-up. The first 5-10 tankfuls yeilded an MPG range of 38-41. I checked again the last few fill-ups and it at a steady 43-46. The bike has just over 9000 miles on it. I haven't gone limp wrist on it; if anything I'm spanking it a little harder. My butt-o-meter says its making a little more HP too. I had a lengthy surprise power wheelie the other day smacking the throttle WFO at about 4K in first gear. Anybody else have a similar performance increase experience? I haven't changed gas. The same two or 3 stations. The only engine related changes I've made are two TBS's and one spark plug change. At 3000 miles I changed to synthetic oil. Thats it. Can't think of anything that might have changed.

FJReady

Most engines show a small, but steady, increase in power over the first 10K miles as they establish their best ring seal and internal friction lowers. From there, they tend to slowly head downhill, very slowly if the bike is properly used and maintained. Most of the degradation is in valve sealnig.

You mileage increase seems a little high, but certainly break-in could explain a good part of it.

- Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
What you are experiencing is normal for most vehicles.

Gas mileage will up, performance will go up, noise will go down, it will cool off and smooth out as well.

Most riders will think after 1,000 miles it's broken it...that's not the case for this bike at all. More like 4-6K miles before it truly is loose, smooth, and performs at it's peak.