Breakaway Throttle lock.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarFJR

URGNT
Reaction score
There is a black plastic piece that disengages the lock if you touch the brakes slightly. If you have it wrong you have to remove the lock down arm to adjust it because the bolt can’t be reached when the arm is connected to the handle bar. And it is very sensitive as it should be.

As far a slick operation.

Click here on. Click here off, for manual release. Very intuitive operation. Tension is adjustable but shipped tension worked with my throttle that has not been modified.

With it on I was able move the throttle position without much effort and it stuck where I set it just fine.

I think for what’s out there from the coat hanger to the real cruse control units that are about a grand. This thing works for me. It is very well built and thought threw product.

I wish it still came in a black finish. But the aluminum finish is ok.

How about some more details like what brand ,model etc.

Pics are also helpful.
https://www.brakeawayproducts.com/

My Dad has one on his Stratoliner. Pretty slick unit, a little bulky though. If I didn't get a screamin deal on a used electronic McCruise unit I'd probably either get this or the throttlemeister. I had one of those on my last bike for 3 years and loved it.

When I bought my bike, it had the Brakeaway already installed on it. It looks really nice and all, but it has a mind of it's own...some days, it will engage quickly and hold, other days, it will refuse to engage no matter what you do. I've adjusted it numerous times, yet its behavior never changes. I'm actually thinking about removing it and installing a Vista Cruise instead...they seem very simple and just work, lol.

Yup, I’ve seen it not lock so well. The issue is if the brake release is to close to the bar or the somehow the top metal clamp band is cocked a little.

That metal band can’t have any left or right pull on it or you’re going to get that funky inconsistency

https://www.brakeawayproducts.com/

My Dad has one on his Stratoliner. Pretty slick unit, a little bulky though. If I didn't get a screamin deal on a used electronic McCruise unit I'd probably either get this or the throttlemeister. I had one of those on my last bike for 3 years and loved it.

Apparently not compatible with heated grips (according to their website).

Vista Cruise for $25. Had mine on my 05 for 5 years, always works (wet/dry hot/cold). Easy to install--doesn't have the brake lever relase feature -- but if one need that then they shouldn't be using a throttle lock (or even maybe riding a motorcycle)

The Vista Cruise is a nice simple solution..

I liked the idea of the brake release for a nice easy way to disengage the unit. But after using it a couple of days I have yet to use the brake to disengage it.

I may have over done it going with the Breakaway ..

But then again one of my mantras is If it’s worth doing it’s worth overdoing. :D

Put my new Rifle gray tinted +3/+4 windshield this morning and waiting for FedEx to drop off my Corbin seat today.. But that’s a different thread. :hyper:

Vista Cruise for me too. 4 years on the 04 and a couple on my 08. Works great once I learned how to install it correctly.

GP