British tourist perspective on harleys

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldryder

Reaction score
went to yellowstone last week (same as sturgis week).

whitewater rafting was me plus 2 daughters plus family of 4 from the U.K in a raft.

after the Brits learned we were motorcyclists they immediately asked why harleys were allowed to be so LOUD! they commented it was very annoying and made spotting wildlife a lot less likely.

unfortunately I wasn't able to explain why law enforcement fails to ticket those machines which are so obviously in violation of noise ordinances. (anybody out there know?)

regarding wildlife, this is my 5th trip out west but the 1st during sturgis week. I saw far far less wildlife then ever before. I didn't even consider the harleys as the cause until the Brits suggested it.

On other trips wildlife was common, bears, elk, goats, and many many antelope. this trip no bears (even in the park), only a couple elk, and no antelope or goats at all.

Pretty disappointing I'll bet. Don't know why little or no enforcement. Any comments from our LEO friends out there?

Wild animals will always go away from human noise. I saw the herds of thousands of Carabou move further and further north each year in Prudhoe, they didn't like the noise. Found them again when I worked 22 miles further out where nothing was around but us.

pirates.jpg

went to yellowstone last week (same as sturgis week).
whitewater rafting was me plus 2 daughters plus family of 4 from the U.K in a raft.

after the Brits learned we were motorcyclists they immediately asked why harleys were allowed to be so LOUD! they commented it was very annoying and made spotting wildlife a lot less likely.

unfortunately I wasn't able to explain why law enforcement fails to ticket those machines which are so obviously in violation of noise ordinances. (anybody out there know?)

regarding wildlife, this is my 5th trip out west but the 1st during sturgis week. I saw far far less wildlife then ever before. I didn't even consider the harleys as the cause until the Brits suggested it.

On other trips wildlife was common, bears, elk, goats, and many many antelope. this trip no bears (even in the park), only a couple elk, and no antelope or goats at all.

I've always wondered the same thing ,,??? If it is stamped right in the metal of the pipes "Not Legal For Street Use".....

Why in the hell aren't they being pulled over left and right ???? :angry: :angry: :angry:

There are a couple of reasons why you didn't see as much wild-life, the least of which is loud pipes. Has no one realized that the animals come around on a regular basis with tons of people within sight and smell? Normally wild animals will not tolerate that crap and are gone as soon as they see or smell something that does not fit. We were there about the same time and the weather was kinda crappy. Animals have a tendency to bed down and just wait it out. If it goes on for days, they have to eventually get up for water or food, but barring that, they don't have a schedule. Goto the zoo on a crappy or very hot day, and count how many animals you get to see doing anything but lying around. Better yet, go hunting, because those sly muthers know we're out there and apparently hide somewhere no man has ever seen.

As far as the traffic and Harleys go, when we were there, the first thing we saw was a group of elk that was holding up traffic. They didn't really care who was in line or how loud it was. We saw tons of buffalo, a bear or something (I never saw it. One in my group did, and there must have been 15 cars stopped along the side of the road gawking at it), and a couple of coyotes.

As far as enforcement...Lemme ask you a question: Have you ever gone fishing and caught all the fish? Probably not, and in this case, there are tons of fish. The other issue is that I have not seen many states with any type of really enforceable noise ordinance. That is usually done in citys. Being that the park and the roads leading to it are basically in the middle of nowhere, no city ordinances apply. Don't forget that a few places that are trying to enforce those type ordinances are running into legal issues since motorcycles are usually the only ones the ordinances affect. THEN...someone here would get one of those tickets for a set of aftermarket pipes and the bitching about how mean cops are and how they should all be fired, and how they hurt someone's feelings, and how they should be enforcing real laws and blah blah blah blah would start, and nobody really wants that. Do they? So, even if an ordinance or statute is in place, it may be a lot less hassle to overlook the violation instead of trying to enforce it with a group of 50 or even 5 bikes.

If the park thought the loud pipes were a problem, they would probably just not let anyone in with any type of vehicle that is over a certain decible level. The park is limited access anyway. That of course, would come over as not politically correct and a shit-storm would ensue. Overall, I would just bet someone is making a bigger deal about the Harley noise than is necessary. I've seen plenty of deer and elk get hit by bikes with open pipes, which makes me think they may just be too stupid to care.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in the U.K. we only seem to get a "finger wagging" of the law is if we get stopped for somthing else and he/she sees the lack of baffle. They can get you to replace the pipes within a certain time period ( 5 days?) But they have no way of knowing how loud they are. The don't carry a dB metre. We have a test called an M.O.T. ( ministry of transport) It's basicaly a test to see if everything is safe. All motor vehicules of 3 years and over must have this done every year. Again, it is down to the discretion of the testers ear. The tester is only concerned with whats in front of him at the time, so if anything fails after you ride/drive off the premises, it's not his problem. Most of us hooligans normally put on leagle cans for the test, then swap back. :rolleyes:

As far as enforcement...Lemme ask you a question: Have you ever gone fishing and caught all the fish? Probably not, and in this case, there are tons of fish. The other issue is that I have not seen many states with any type of really enforceable noise ordinance. That is usually done in citys. Being that the park and the roads leading to it are basically in the middle of nowhere, no city ordinances apply. Don't forget that a few places that are trying to enforce those type ordinances are running into legal issues since motorcycles are usually the only ones the ordinances affect. THEN...someone here would get one of those tickets for a set of aftermarket pipes and the bitching about how mean cops are and how they should all be fired, and how they hurt someone's feelings, and how they should be enforcing real laws and blah blah blah blah would start, and nobody really wants that. Do they? So, even if an ordinance or statute is in place, it may be a lot less hassle to overlook the violation instead of trying to enforce it with a group of 50 or even 5 bikes.
If the park thought the loud pipes were a problem, they would probably just not let anyone in with any type of vehicle that is over a certain decible level. The park is limited access anyway. That of course, would come over as not politically correct and a shit-storm would ensue. Overall, I would just bet someone is making a bigger deal about the Harley noise than is necessary. I've seen plenty of deer and elk get hit by bikes with open pipes, which makes me think they may just be too stupid to care.
HotRod ,,, all due respect ,,, But ,,,

When I was a kid with my some what loud 64 Chevelle I got pulled over several times by the police...

And those pipes weren't clearly marker "Not Legal For Street Use"..

Now you have a herd of badass want-to-be's ,, with ILLegal pipes ,,that are clearly marked that way .. And Nothing is done..

I'm not saying any aftermarket Muffler with a DB a little louder than what should be ,,, I'm talking straight pipes with NO muffler at all..

Hell I've seen people up in arms ,, because someone is running a leaf blower.....

So are you saying ,, If I'm riding 30 mph over the posted speed limit ,, I get a ticket ,,, but if there are 5 or 10 of us riding 30 over it OK ????

Sorry ,, I'm not trying to start a conflict ,,,

It's just these herds of dumb asses cause a lot of negative feeling with John Q. cager and they would like to

run over any motorcyclist they see...

So, when some poor Motorcyclist gets run over.. The thought is ,, just another dumb ass biker ,, probably his fault anyway..

A couple bad cops ,, and the whole dept. has a bad name .... A dumb ass on a crotch rocket doing a wheelie down a crowded outer belt ,,

with no equipment on ,, gives us a bad name,,, A herd of want to be's blocking traffic by going 10 or 15 under the limit ,, with annoying loud

bikes ,, gives us a bad name...

Sorry haven't finished my morning coffee yet... <_< :dribble: :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of cops own Harleys. Ever <pun> heard </pun> of the Blue Knights?

The cop in Ohio who got busted for doing 150 probably didn't write many speeding tickets to bikers....

A lot of cops own Harleys. Ever <pun> heard </pun> of the Blue Knights?
The cop in Ohio who got busted for doing 150 probably didn't write many speeding tickets to bikers....

OH NO !!! It's the speeding cop thing again ,,,, It's a live !! .... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

HotRod ,,, all due respect ,,, But ,,,

When I was a kid with my some what loud 64 Chevelle I got pulled over several times by the police...

And those pipes weren't clearly marker "Not Legal For Street Use"..

Now you have a herd of badass want-to-be's ,, with ILLegal pipes ,,that are clearly marked that way .. And Nothing is done..

I'm not saying any aftermarket Muffler with a DB a little louder than what should be ,,, I'm talking straight pipes with NO muffler at all..

Hell I've seen people up in arms ,, because someone is running a leaf blower.....

So are you saying ,, If I'm riding 30 mph over the posted speed limit ,, I get a ticket ,,, but if there are 5 or 10 of us riding 30 over it OK ????

Sorry ,, I'm not trying to start a conflict ,,,

It's just these herds of dumb asses cause a lot of negative feeling with John Q. cager and they would like to

run over any motorcyclist they see...

So, when some poor Motorcyclist gets run over.. The thought is ,, just another dumb ass biker ,, probably his fault anyway..

A couple bad cops ,, and the whole dept. has a bad name .... A dumb ass on a crotch rocket doing a wheelie down a crowded outer belt ,,

with no equipment on ,, gives us a bad name,,, A herd of want to be's blocking traffic by going 10 or 15 under the limit ,, with annoying loud

bikes ,, gives us a bad name...

Sorry haven't finished my morning coffee yet... <_< :dribble: :rolleyes:

Haha...No offense taken. I was just kinda messin with you and figured you are doing the same. NOW...Back to those speeding bastages :eek:

I've seen plenty of deer and elk get hit by bikes with open pipes, which makes me think they may just be too stupid to care.
I agree with you totally there. The loud-pipes doods are too stupid to care. May not have been what you intended, but it fits. <_<

Wildlife populations in Yellowstone are way down, especially fawns and calves. Wolves are the reason.

Animals seem to feel that the ground is moving beneath Yellowstone. Oh, that's right. There is a massive pocket of magma swelling up below part of that park. It has erupted a couple of times in the past and laid waste to most of the area that is now Western USA.