Broken down, needs help - spider problem?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griff

Reaction score
I have a friend Tim Roush - playinatwork that is currently broken down and seems to have the bad spider symptoms. Bike is dead and will not start, all lights on, gas gauge flashing. His bike is an 08 AE. I am not familiar with spider locations - are there any spiders he can reach easily with his bike broken down along the road You can call him at 904-237-0855 if you can be of any assistance.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of those is running it through a crusher
punk.gif

Hud,

I have a complete set of the connectors to make a Brodie harness if he wishes to go that route to fix. Ping me if he is interested.

Thanks for your help last night Griff and Hud. You were much more helpful than the fellow that tried to walk away with my helmet and the guy that wanted to take my seat and leatherman while I was working on the bike worthless piece of shit.

You shoulda just burned your bike at Tech Day. Atleast it would have been impressive for the neighbors.

By the way, that's high praise for griff and Hud...saying they aren't thieves. :D

Hope you get back on track soon and get yerself a nice BMW. Those things never fail.

Just dropped the bike off at a dealer. Service manager said he's replaced several of the recalls and never seen a failure. Said he was almost sure mine would be fine. He said this after seeing my bike acting all funky but not starting. My confidence in their ability isn't too high right now. The bike won't run and the service manager is telling me there's nothing wrong with it?

Time to warm up the crusher.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just talked to the dealer and they performed the recall and the bike still won't run. He said there was nothing wrong with the spider. they want $120.00/hour to start a diagnosis. I'm not up for that. I still think there's a bad spider. They only looked at and replaced the one spider because that's what the recall called for.

I think you should pay griff $120/hour to get 'er done. He'll find the problem or blow it up.
I resemble that remark. Shameless plug for my 03 for sale - if its lasted ten years and 130000 miles under my care, I must be doing something right.
smile.png

Thanks Niehart, I don't trust them with my bike. I would much rather do the work myself. To me its kind of like trusting someone to work on your boat or airplane. This bike has left me stranded in a dangerous situation twice now. I might not be so lucky the third time.

The dealer called me a couple of hours after I told them that I would pick the bike up with the trailer and do the diagnosis myself. They said there was nothing wrong with the spider they replaced but the bike now magically runs. I made them save the spider and show it to me. I can see where there is black scorch marks on the spider. Tards.

Sounds like you need to track down a Brodie harness or build one to put a permanent fix in place. Good luck!

playinatwork posted: The dealer called me a couple of hours after I told them that I would pick the bike up with the trailer and do the diagnosis myself. They said there was nothing wrong with the spider they replaced but the bike now magically runs. I made them save the spider and show it to me. I can see where there is black scorch marks on the spider. Tards.
..... so now she runs? Well, dammit, I guess that means no Molotov cocktail and fireworks.

(Happy for you, though.)