Spider issue has returned....?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YummYam

Reaction score
Reposting the issue from last week in the hope you peeps can assist as my electrical troubleshooting abilities are somewhat limited!

Just had the following symptoms:

No horn

No windshield mobility

Glovebox not opening

Brake lights on constantly (maybe tailights too, can't tell)

ABS light on

SH_47 code displayed

After the last spider issue around two years ago, I fitted a multi way grounding harness bought here and greased every connector in sight that could be accessed.

Different symptoms then and S6 was the culprit, so cut and soldered wires together.

What's just made me sit up is reading through many old postings here about the problem, there is one that states the turn signal fuse also carries the juice for all of the systems currently malfunctioning on my bike plus the grip warmers (not sure if they're working at the moment).

Don't believe the problem being discussed in that post was the same as mine, but does this information give any of you electrical wizards out there a clue as to where I should start looking on my bike?

Here's hoping and thanks for reading and any advice given.

Steve

I had replied to your disappearing thread from last week - that was never restored. Anyway, I had included a link to a thread where I described my grounding "spider" issues. I had the S4 recall done and had a subsequent issue with S6 which I fixed by soldering the wires together after cutting the connector off. Another issue cropped up - it was a grounding issue but not related to one of the "spiders". This was reported by a couple of other folks as well.

Have a look at:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/158418-itsy-bitsy-spider/?hl=itsy

In order of likelihood, I would consider S4 (if not done), S6, the connector I posted (above) and S7 (has also been reported a couple of times). Other possibilities, of course, but I don't recall others being posted (maybe S8??).

Last edited by a moderator:
I also put a reply in to your vanished post, in which I said it was possible the SH__47 is a coincidental red herring, it can be caused by a sticking rear brake lever, posted about here.

Thanks for your suggestions and links etc Guys, been a big help.

Thinking back before the real issue started, I do remember sitting stationary in traffic and thinking 'hmmm......looks as if the dash illumination is ever so slightly flickering, strange'.

Anyway, read through the links you posted and found a lot of similarities there. There are pics showing different connectors that give problems, that are NOT ground spiders.

There's a six way connector real close to S6 below the glove box that appears to have given trouble to some of you so I unplugged and took another close look. This, I believe is the one in RossKean's post pic of June 13th 2014. Had previously greased it up as with all the others but thought, while it's unplugged I would switch ignition on to see what happened. So memory fails me as to what system didn't come on but when I plugged the thing back in, all was back to normal !!

The pins and sockets all looked fine in mine though, no sign of burning or corrosion inside.

Horn, windshield, glove box ok, no abs light or error code and brake lights not stuck on!

Played around a bit more and unplugged two other connectors in the same area. Two 9 way, one black, 1 translucent like the first one. The internal pins and sockets look ok but there are signs of corrosion at the back ends where the wires enter.

Tried to post some pics but Photobucket defeated me, pos.

So, it could be that corrosion between individual wires and their pins and/or receptacles is causing issues.

Not quite sure what to do next here. Is there a way to clean up corrosion in this area or is the only real way to replace the whole thing?

I've found no "problems" with the connectors-other-than-spiders but a spritz of ACF50 and a couple of together/open cycles then re-spritz is all I do. In my mind what is seems to do is scrape of oxidation from the pins & sockets and the ACF50 helps prevent more from forming.

Yeah, I agree. I did that same type of operation the last time over two years ago, that's why I couldn't believe there was trouble again.

As reported, all is working now but I'm uneasy as I haven't 'seen' an obvious cause of the issue.

This time though I'll look closer at the back end of the connectors where the wires are and try to see any corrosion or busted wire strands before greasing 'em.

mcatrophy, I did check the brake lever and all is well there.

Got some Deoxit cleaner spray and hosed all visible connectors, wiped down, switched on and all systems were GFL so greased up again and put the plastic back.

Think it was the 9 way causing issues, coupler 5 I think some of you have called it. There was still no really glaring evidence so will have wait and see how she goes.

Sure enjoyed the test ride today though.

Thanks for all your replies, how great the members of this forum are at support and backup.

Steve