Burning oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constant Mesh

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
My 1999 F150 with 150k miles goes through exactly 0 quarts of oil between 5000 mile oil changes.

I would freak out if I was losing a quart every 1k, and lose my mind if it was every 600-700. Sheesh. Who's building their motors, cavemen?

Last edited by a moderator:
'06 VW Passat with 2.0T engine that I bought for my daughter... "acceptable" oil consumption (per VW) is 1 quart per 1200 miles and that's pretty much what it uses.

The 2003 FJR burned zero oil. The early FJRs did destroy the valve stem guides due to oil starvation but it didn't burn any oil.

It is an engineering compromise as to how tight to make valve stem seals. Too loose and you will burn lots of oil, too tight and you burn up parts and reduce gas mileage due to friction.

Edit: As radium' says, my FJR also makes oil after an oil change and I've never had to add oil. Then again, I have one of the FJR engines with tight stem seals.

I had a 72 Ford Galaxy 500 with 390cu.in. that used 1qt. of oil every 75-100 miles.

That engine had over 300k miles before I rebuild it.

"The magazine says that standards for certain Audi and BMW cars say that it’s reasonable to burn a quart of oil every 600 to 700 miles. Subaru considers one quart burned for every 1,000 to 1,200 miles to be acceptable, Consumer Reports said."
My wife had a Pontiac Gran Prix GT that used oil from day one. We bought it new because we needed a 4 door with our new baby boy and it was reasonably sporty and nice. It was still nice and still burning oil 104,000 miles later when I got rid of it. It used about a quart every 1400 to 1500 miles. I was told that was acceptable. I never really "accepted" that.

It was traded on a new BMW 328i that uses EXCLUSIVELY Castrol Syntec (It is embossed on the filler cap) and goes 15Kmiles between oil changes. This is the only vehicle I ever had that I let the dealership change the oil in so I have no idea if it uses oil or not. There is NO dipstick to check. There are level sensors and you can monitor it from the driver's seat. Of course I have Complete Confidence in those German made level sensors.
no.gif

I am in agreement with 'Zilla. A good, modern engine should NOT be using that much oil. And since I cannot help myself...

If FORD can build a truck engine that does not use oil and a moron like 'Zilla can maintain it then ANYBODY should be able to build a decent motor.
smile.png

Dayum...Again, RFH says something partially smart. All except the last about buying a Pontiac. Those things are less reliable than most 2-stroke go-carts. The electronics in those cars were bought from China, who imported them from whomever makes extremely cheap shit and has less QC than China.

My 2011 RT uses oil. I have been told it is normal for a boxer to use oil for up to 20K, then the settle in. Under normal circumstances it does fine. It burns oil when it gets hot (a lot of stop-and-go traffic) or when I run the revs high (in the twisties). I have 15K on mine, if it is still burning oil after 20K I will be trading it off for something else. I love the bike, but hate having to carry a quart of oil everywhere with me so I can top it off when needed.

https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/06/30/consumer-reports-finds-some-newer-cars-burn-too-much-oil/
Car engines burning oil --- Consumer Reports

"The magazine says that standards for certain Audi and BMW cars say that it’s reasonable to burn a quart of oil every 600 to 700 miles. Subaru considers one quart burned for every 1,000 to 1,200 miles to be acceptable, Consumer Reports said."
I was considering a Subaru until I read up on the class action suit that has been filed concerning oil usage on the 2.5 and 2.0 motors. Apparently, Subaru finally has stepped up and is replacing short blocks (owner pays unless covered by the warranty). From what I've been able to gather, the problem stems from an engine re design and oil rings that wear prematurely.This article is the first I've seen claiming problems with the 3.6 six cylinder.

The 2003 FJR burned zero oil. The early FJRs did destroy the valve stem guides due to oil starvation but it didn't burn any oil.
It is an engineering compromise as to how tight to make valve stem seals. Too loose and you will burn lots of oil, too tight and you burn up parts and reduce gas mileage due to friction.

Edit: As radium' says, my FJR also makes oil after an oil change and I've never had to add oil. Then again, I have one of the FJR engines with tight stem seals.
I thought you took care of that tight valve problem when you bent them all with the (defective) slackened CCT and had them all replaced, no? :unsure:

Interestingly, my '05 did burn a little oil after about 65k miles. Not alarming, but enough that I wanted to top it up between oil changes. That was when I switched from Rotella 15W40 conventional diesel oil to Mobil1 15W50 synthetic. My thought process was that the Mobil1 would be more viscosity stable with temperature and also might help clean some of the ring deposits up, which was where I figured I was losing oil. Running the Mobil 1 on out cross country trip last summer must have been good for the old girl as she burned no oil over the 6000+ miles of the trip (in one oil change) and the fuel mileage also improved after returning.

I just cannot fathom a modern internal combustion engine that is "supposed" to burn oil. With all the smog/pollution control equipment in place, all the exhaust sample tests to get inspection stickers, and all the updates in efficiency, an engine consuming its own oil makes no sense.

If the (relatively) large displacement V8 engines in modern Ford and GM trucks can do the work they do and not consume noticeable amounts of oil there is no excuse for any small displacement passenger car engine to burn oil. I guess I should have included the Dodge, Toyota, and Nissan "trucks" also but...

Oil burning happens.

I bought a new GL1800 in '02. It used oil from day one to the tune of 1/2 - 1 quart per 5000 miles. I probably had the only GL1800 that used oil between changes. This continued until 2013 and 175,000 miles when I sold it. The new owner needed to open the engine to replace a bad alternator drive gear. The insides still looked like new. Even the honing marks on the cylinders were still visible. The oil usage never bothered me. Just part of normal maintenance as far as I was concerned.

I also had a 2006 BMW R120RT which are known to use a bunch of oil. Mine never used any! Go figure.

That's strange. When not on the FJR, I drive a 2001 Audi TT convertible (111,000 miles) and a 2010 Subaru Outback 4-cylinder (87,000 miles). Neither burns oil between their 10,000 mile changes.

That's strange. When not on the FJR, I drive a 2001 Audi TT convertible (111,000 miles) and a 2010 Subaru Outback 4-cylinder (87,000 miles). Neither burns oil between their 10,000 mile changes.
From what I've read concerning the Subarus, the problem started with the change in 2011 from the old EJ 2.5 motor to the re designed FB 2.5. Rather lengthy discussion on it here: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t54414_ds603934 Like anything else on the internet, take it for what it's worth.

My 03 FJR burned no oil at all until the tick was fixed. Since then in hot weather running at nominal speeds for a day it will use a few ounces.

A friend bought a new Corvette in 08, from day one it used 1 quart every 1k. GM said that was acceptable use. Not for him it wasn't.

I bought a Honda Accord thinking that I was getting a bullet proof car.... The 3.5L V6 has a cylinder deactivation system which is actually the culprit behind the issue. They reprogrammed the ECU with a 'fix' and we now need to keep an eye on the oil level just in case. So far, mine has only fouled the plugs and I do not burn oil to the point of seeing or smelling it. 150,000 km so far and all seems ok. https://www.hondaproblems.com/trends/excessive-oil-consumption/