Burning oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FJR- no oil use. BMW R/75- uses oil whether it's running or not (R1150RT burned about a quart per 5K miles). Silverado- About a 1/2 quart per 5K miles.

does this have anything to do with 0w-20? uncertain but one of my vehicle does burn/ lose oil but not extreme. It's newish and it takes 0w-20. And if it is, I never notice the burning out the exhaust.

I came from a world where you never actually had to perform an oil change on a motorcycle. They burned or dripped so much that the constant top-ups meant that most of the oil was always relatively fresh.

The last trip on the '05 which has just over 100k on the odo was nice. I changed the oil before I left and filled it just below the upper mark. When I got home 8500 miles later, it was still well above the middle of the sight glass.

That works for me.

I came from a world where you never actually had to perform an oil change on a motorcycle. They burned or dripped so much that the constant top-ups meant that most of the oil was always relatively fresh.
The only problem there, Twigg, is that I'm pretty sure the "ferrous" components of the oil will be the last to burn or drip out, leading to an ever-increasing concentration. It's not so much the oil that needs changing but what it's carrying!

The only problem there, Twigg, is that I'm pretty sure the "ferrous" components of the oil will be the last to burn or drip out, leading to an ever-increasing concentration. It's not so much the oil that needs changing but what it's carrying!
I'm not sure BSA Bantams and elderly Jawa singles worried much about that kind of technical nonsense :D

I'm not sure BSA Bantams and elderly Jawa singles worried much about that kind of technical nonsense
biggrin.png
Fair enough, but you know me - I'm always good for some technical mumbo-jumbo.
no.gif

My Norton Commando 850's chain received a constant drip of engine oil, by means of a small tube running from the sump to just above the chain. Disabling it was one of the first mods I did on a new bike. I replaced the chain with a more advanced, o-ringed type.

I loved that bike, but could not get it to stop spewing oil from somewhere or other. Final straw was when oil began oozing out of the tach drive cable.
weirdsmiley.gif

Anyway, I'm not sure even that archaic engine burned any oil. The throaty and sometimes snarly exhaust always looked pretty clean.

Neither my fjr nor my Chev HHR turbo use any oil between changes, and imo any modern engine that is actually designed to use anywhere near the amounts mentioned here is extremely poor engineering.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts