C14 and FJR comparison

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really would like to post on this site more often, but to tell you the truth, I do not feel welcome here, and it seems like anything I post just angers you folks, so I guess I am better off just keeping quiet.
Pardon me now, while I go ride. Maybe some of you should do the same.
Howdy, Fred. I enjoyed your thoughtful comparison. Keep up the good work. And don't let a couple of folks with inexplainable chips on their shoulders put you off (I know it's hard, especially in a forum like this one where behavior tends to be respectful and supportive).

My next bike is going to be an FJR or a C-14. Trouble is, I can't imagine that happening for a number of years since I've only got 30K on the FJR and it's everything I need in a bike.

See you on the road.

Jb

Nice ---

bash the guy that figured out the throttle pulley change (copper wire mod) that now is almost a given (G2), designed the GIVI tail light LED for us, and gives the best review of the C14 to the FJR that you may ever get (Fred H. doesn't get paid by a magazine to give his opinion.)

Next time -- buy your own C14, do the comparison--post it--and let everyone else tell you what a 'nimrod' you are.

Nice --- bash the guy that figured out the throttle pulley change (copper wire mod) that now is almost a given (G2), designed the GIVI tail light LED for us, and gives the best review of the C14 to the FJR that you may ever get (Fred H. doesn't get paid by a magazine to give his opinion.)

Next time -- buy your own C14, do the comparison--post it--and let everyone else tell you what a 'nimrod' you are.

Not to mention the comparison he did on the Autocom systems that helped me choose my current set-up.

Hi Fred,

I like reading your posts and think your comparison between the 2 bikes is probably fair and accurate.

I think the C14 is a nice bike and would like to have one. The only thing that concerns me is the 5.8 gal. tank.

Keep us posted as to what the bike is like living with day to day.

Thanks

Howdy Fred

thanks for the comparo, which I've translated and run in the Italian Sport-Touring Portal (which houses Forums for both the FJR and the GTR).

Keep your comments coming.

Stef

Jeez, read the report, seems to be a fair comparison to me. The things that he says are done better on the Kaw are the things that people here gripe about on the Feej. He also calls the Kaw when the Feej does a better job as well. Nice report Fred.

Regarding Fred H's Post,
The Valve check on the C14 is not at 24,000 miles it is every 24,000 km, which is every 15000 miles.....FRED H needs to check his facts or owners book and quit drinking all that stupid juice!

See for yourself:

https://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.p...6&set_time=

If he is a engineer, I sure wouldn't want him checking facts for me!!! :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

SNIP

And NO it is Not a well written side by side comparison. It is written by someone who is a NEW OWNER of one of the bikes being compared to and clearly written for the ego's of the C14 forum. I will wait for a non-biased SPORT TOURING SHOOTOUT done by a group of impartial riders. And I too!! Will stick to the FJR. It is clearly a all around better and proven SPORT TOURER.

WW

I found Fred's comparison to be very informative. I, too, have fought the Twitchy throttle wars. Successfully, I might add.

I wish the FJR were as smooth as the C14 is said to be. The lack of drive line lash would also be nice, although I'm not bothered at all by that since "fixing" the twitchy throttle.

Fred's observation about the "heavy" handling of the FJR vs. the C14 I find amazing, although I CANNOT dispute it since I haven't ridden a C14. I will though as soon as possible. In comparison with my VTX1800 the FJR is extremely flick-able. Especially since I put Avon Storms on! As far as head shake, I've experienced it with the Metz OEM tires and with the first Avon Storms I had. However ,not one wiggle from the second set of Avon Storms I just put on. (I'm inclined to believe that there IS a quality control issue in the MC tire industry. Much more demanding product than auto tires IMHO.)

However, the most important points to me were his comments about it being "taller" and "wider", with a slightly more forward leaning riding position. These are big time deal killers for me!. I've spent over $1100 on triple tree/risers, MCcruise control to eliminate MY problems with "numb-hand" syndrome. I'm still faced with the problem of being unable to put both feet flat on the ground at stop signs.

I've enjoyed and learned from Fred's posts and intend to continue doing so.

Fred, you keep on posting here. I intend to read them with interest and I know as time goes by I will be in the market for a Goldwing. I know you know about those also! :clapping:

LC

Thanks for your report Fred, nicely done. It's too bad that we have a fair number of bung holes who take any comment that might be taken as negative about the FJR as a personal insult. Just know that the vast majority of folks here - and although I really can't speak for them, I will - appreciate reading comparisons and don't take them personally. The FJR isn't perfect - oh crap, did I say that out loud? Damn, now I'll be culled from the herd and pelted with internet insults until my spirit is crushed - right...

Again Fred, nice write-up and I for one regret that you don't feel like you could post it here w/o the "usual" attacks, etc.

Great report Fred! The ONE thing that will stop me from buying a C14 is the heat problem. I used to have an 04 FJR and the heat was unbearable. I don't have that problem at all with the 06 FJR. All of those other things about the handling and throttle, low CGI sound really nice but if I can't stand riding the bike because of the heat they mean nothing to me. I'll wait a few years until the heat problem is straightened out with the C14 before considering one. Who knows, they may have an even better FJR by then!

I thought the article was well written and very objective in most respects. Anytime a comparision is done someone is going to get their feathers ruffled, no big deal, just some insecurity and small penis issues some people have to deal with, maybe their next bike should be an HD. :yahoo:

Good job Fred, excellent write up.

Hi Fred. Welcome back! I just want to know how you can afford to have 3 motorcycles and how you can find time to ride them?

Regarding Fred H's Post,
The Valve check on the C14 is not at 24,000 miles it is every 24,000 km, which is every 15000 miles.....FRED H needs to check his facts or owners book and quit drinking all that stupid juice!

See for yourself:

https://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.p...6&set_time=

If he is a engineer, I sure wouldn't want him checking facts for me!!! :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

So @ 60,000miles you will be doing your FOURTH valve adjustment on the C14. Hmmm and only 10,000miles into your SECOND valve adjustment on the FJR!!!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Gimme a break about how the C14 has a faster turn in and handles better..... DAH any bike with BRAND NEW TIRES will turn in better than another bike with mileage(flatter) on the tires!! What a nimrod!!

And NO it is Not a well written side by side comparison. It is written by someone who is a NEW OWNER of one of the bikes being compared to and clearly written for the ego's of the C14 forum. I will wait for a non-biased SPORT TOURING SHOOTOUT done by a group of impartial riders. And I too!! Will stick to the FJR. It is clearly a all around better and proven SPORT TOURER.

WW
ww

Here is Fred's exact quote:

"First valve check on C14 is 15K miles. Not sure yet how much work it entails, but I suspect it will be harder than on the FJR. FJR valve check interval is every 26K miles, so it will go almost twice as long before needing to be checked"

Gary

I wish there was a comparison between an '05 FJR to the C14.....

I don't have any of the problems he cites:

o Throttle spring is fine

o it's not 'twitchy' at all

o no 'top-heavy' feeling

o not sluggish in turning by any stretch

o no 'headshake wobble'--once I replaced the worn-out B'stones.

o clutch engagement is fine--best I've ever felt.

o fork flex? f'in please....

o heat is a non-issue

o it goes right up on the centerstand

o no 'drive induced suspension problems'

o no driveline lash

o no weird vibration at 4k rpm

o my seat is just fine

o my windshield doesn't 'vibrate' at speed.

I haven't noticed any of those problems on my 05.

And note that I am coming off of 40k miles on a 1983 Honda CB1000 Custom--I know driveline lash, I know mushy suspension, I know fork-flex; I know 'drive related suspension problems', I know heat and I know sluggish porker-like handling.

I commute on the FJR 80 miles round trip to work, rain-or-shine, every damn day: In New Mexico. At 5000--6500 ft altitude. Over slab, street and twisty. Over 90deg temps. Triple digit speed commuting.

I don't get it.

Sometimes I read this forum and wonder if people ride the same bike as I do.

The vibration thing at 4k (which is, what, 65-70mph in 5th?) still cracks me up: Bill Richardson's pavement here is so tore-ass up that there is no way you can separate out engine vibration from the gravel, pot-holes, cracks, chips, tar-snakes and other crap!

We are now riding a generation of the most well-balanced, vibration-damped reciprocating engines in history, but a princess can feel a pea through a stack of mattresses....

I don't have any of the problems he cites...I don't get it...Sometimes I read this forum and wonder if people ride the same bike as I do...a princess can feel a pea through a stack of mattresses....
Another '05 Forum member rode my '04 FJR that has an over size windshield reducing wind noise, no vibrations that I notice and no excessive heat unless the tank is close to empty. Within 5 minutes he had to get off my bike because of the wind noise, heat, bad vibrations and additionally he found my brakes to be way too sensitive and the clutch didn't disengage until it was almost to the bar. His opinions, mine may vary. We are not all alike.

I wish there was a comparison between an '05 FJR to the C14.....
I don't have any of the problems he cites:

o Throttle spring is fine

o it's not 'twitchy' at all

o no 'top-heavy' feeling

o not sluggish in turning by any stretch

o no 'headshake wobble'--once I replaced the worn-out B'stones.

o clutch engagement is fine--best I've ever felt.

o fork flex? f'in please....

o heat is a non-issue

o it goes right up on the centerstand

o no 'drive induced suspension problems'

o no driveline lash

o no weird vibration at 4k rpm

o my seat is just fine

o my windshield doesn't 'vibrate' at speed.

I haven't noticed any of those problems on my 05.

And note that I am coming off of 40k miles on a 1983 Honda CB1000 Custom--I know driveline lash, I know mushy suspension, I know fork-flex; I know 'drive related suspension problems', I know heat and I know sluggish porker-like handling.

I commute on the FJR 80 miles round trip to work, rain-or-shine, every damn day: In New Mexico. At 5000--6500 ft altitude. Over slab, street and twisty. Over 90deg temps. Triple digit speed commuting.

I don't get it.

Sometimes I read this forum and wonder if people ride the same bike as I do.

The vibration thing at 4k (which is, what, 65-70mph in 5th?) still cracks me up: Bill Richardson's pavement here is so tore-ass up that there is no way you can separate out engine vibration from the gravel, pot-holes, cracks, chips, tar-snakes and other crap!

We are now riding a generation of the most well-balanced, vibration-damped reciprocating engines in history, but a princess can feel a pea through a stack of mattresses....
I have an 07 FJR and have had many Kawasaki's including a ZX-11 and a ZX-12r. I found Fred's post to be accurare on many things that are clearly addressed by the membership here..

Me and many others on this list feel that the throttle spring is tight. None of my other bikes have been as tight - ever.

Firmest hyd clutch I have ever used. I have had factory bikes with 50+ more horsepower that are less firm.

Driveline lash is troublesome. Makes riding in the twistys tough - especially with a passenger

I notice vibs on my first ride to and over 75mph - not bad but they are there. Both the ZX-11 and ZX-12r are as smooth as butter.

Most of the others I have not had issues with. However, I do have the "alltitude surge" as discussed in the technical forums.

Mark

Me and many others on this list feel that the throttle spring is tight. None of my other bikes have been as tight - ever.Firmest hyd clutch I have ever used. I have had factory bikes with 50+ more horsepower that are less firm.

Driveline lash is troublesome. Makes riding in the twistys tough - especially with a passenger

I notice vibs on my first ride to and over 75mph - not bad but they are there. Both the ZX-11 and ZX-12r are as smooth as butter.
People had those same complaints about the '05 as well.

I must have gotten a different bike....

It'll be interesting to compare the torque/hp versus RPM for each of the engines. If the Concours variable intake valve control works as advertised one should see larger torque values at lower RPMs.

I'm dying to see a series of flat out drag races head to head with pro riders.

0-60

0-100

1/4 mile

60-80

80-100

60-0 (distance)

Now those are the numbers that are really what everyone (at least everyone in my head) wants to see!

Motorcyle.com has a review out on the C14, video included, but unfortunately, its a premium pay service, and last time I posted an article from there, the Admin had to delete it. Here are just a few of the tag lines from the article.

<<In press materials Kawasaki is perfectly clear that they see the Concours 14 as a "top-of-the-line sportbike with touring capabilities." That's a bold statement to make in this day. And they've even gone so far as to rename the category from sport touring to "supersport touring" on their consumer website. Yamaha did the same thing back in '03 for the FJR1300.>>

<<Perhaps the boldest claim from Team Green is that this system will emulate a chain-smooth ride. Who the heck do they think they are? Normally I would wait to give my impression of things like drive-line lash in the, well, impressions area, but I can't wait. In my not-so-humble opinion, there is no better shaft-drive system available today. There, I said it. Try as I might I could not get the rear end to hop around like a bronco. I really couldn't even detect much lash or delay from throttle input to the rear wheel. The final drive on this motorcycle is exceptionally smooth and sets the bar very high for any company building a bike with a shaft-drive system. Very well done, Kawasaki.>>

<<Braking, on the other hand, wasn't quite what I had hoped for. The fact that it is a non-linked ABS system is a bonus, but there's something that needs to be sorted out. The sensation was that the ABS was, perhaps, a bit too eager to activate. The brakes themselves are outstanding, but on a least two occasions I had made a rapid lever input that was rewarded with a numb or wooden feeling that, although only lasting a fraction of a second in reality, was a bit disconcerting at speed. Within the blink of an eye a more natural feel came back and all was well. Were it only those two instances, I would've simply discounted the incident. But feel at the rear pedal wasn't much better. It often had a resistance to the initial application and then it would relent to the point of feeling a tad mushy. I must note that at no time did I ever feel in jeopardy. The brakes work very well and have good feel. It’s just that I would choose the non-ABS model for myself.>>

<<With over 400 miles in two days we had plenty of opportunity to refill the 5.8-gallon fuel tank. The 26 mpg I calculated at the pump was a bit disappointing, but maybe that doesn't say as much about the bike's fuel efficiency as it does the ridiculous way I was riding. Others were reporting closer to 30 mpg>>

<<Is the new Connie without any real competitors as some Kawasaki staff implied? It's a damn fine bike, but I'm not sure I'm ready to discount the FJR1300 just yet.>>

I hope that just quoting about 10-15% of the article is ok with Admin. Basically, they loved the power, handling, slipper clutch, transmission, and seat...they were OK with the windshield and key fob...they found the heat and brakes and gas mileage wanting.

Jay

'04 FJR 1300