C14 and FJR comparison

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing I do like on the Connie... tall handlebars. But tall can be had for the feej.

I won't buy a first gen bike.

Someone send that one to Yamaha. Regardless if all those issues are true, or accurrate.... I wouldn't mind Yamaha working on improving all the things listed for the GENIII.

More competition = good for development!

Fred H. was a FJR basher from the day he hit the forum. IIRC he left the site then came back. This could result in his differing opinions from other that ride the new Connie. You notice he didn't post up his comparison here.

Fred H. was a FJR basher from the day he hit the forum. IIRC he left the site then came back. This could result in his differing opinions from other that ride the new Connie. You notice he didn't post up his comparison here.
Several of you are being a little hard on Fred. Fred is very passionate about his hobby as many of us are but he approaches his passion as an engineer (some would say a little over zealous or perfectionist).

Any how, Fred is a very helpful and nice individual and has a lot to offer the community (see the various GL1800 forums).

Best Regards,

Shane

Fred H. was a FJR basher from the day he hit the forum.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I don't share this one. Fred had a couple of serious issues with his 06 but that hardly made him a basher, he just worked harder than most to resolve those issues. I have read hundreds of his posts on the GL1800 forum and I never saw a single one that bashed the FJR.

As for his comparison of the FJR to the C14, he didn't say much that was new, most of the other testers are making the same comments. My only concern about his comparison, and it is a small one, is that he was comparing a new C14 to a FJR with 11,000 miles that could have less than fresh suspension. I have also read that the C14 has some very soft tires that could give it a significant advantage in both ride and handling.

Freds upcoming Sidestand Showdown will seperate the men from the boyz, be sure. I can only guess he's saving that for Part II.

Regarding Fred H's Post,

The Valve check on the C14 is not at 24,000 miles it is every 24,000 km, which is every 15000 miles.....FRED H needs to check his facts or owners book and quit drinking all that stupid juice!

See for yourself:

https://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.p...6&set_time=

If he is a engineer, I sure wouldn't want him checking facts for me!!! :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

So @ 60,000miles you will be doing your FOURTH valve adjustment on the C14. Hmmm and only 10,000miles into your SECOND valve adjustment on the FJR!!!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Gimme a break about how the C14 has a faster turn in and handles better..... DAH any bike with BRAND NEW TIRES will turn in better than another bike with mileage(flatter) on the tires!! What a nimrod!!

And NO it is Not a well written side by side comparison. It is written by someone who is a NEW OWNER of one of the bikes being compared to and clearly written for the ego's of the C14 forum. I will wait for a non-biased SPORT TOURING SHOOTOUT done by a group of impartial riders. And I too!! Will stick to the FJR. It is clearly a all around better and proven SPORT TOURER.

WW

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred H. was a FJR basher from the day he hit the forum.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I don't share this one. Fred had a couple of serious issues with his 06 but that hardly made him a basher, he just worked harder than most to resolve those issues. I have read hundreds of his posts on the GL1800 forum and I never saw a single one that bashed the FJR.

As for his comparison of the FJR to the C14, he didn't say much that was new, most of the other testers are making the same comments. My only concern about his comparison, and it is a small one, is that he was comparing a new C14 to a FJR with 11,000 miles that could have less than fresh suspension. I have also read that the C14 has some very soft tires that could give it a significant advantage in both ride and handling.
Read the intent of his posts on the problems he felt, not all other FJR owners, without bias. People take sides cuz they like the guy or he is from their area etc. He argued and set down more than one poster in his stay here. I don't really care one way or the other. I am just pointing out observations.

How dare anyone say that they like another bike more than the holy FJR??????

Some of you guys remind me of Harley riders.

I don't "know" Fred, or any of the history. Nor do I consider it highly pertinent regards a comparo of the Connie and other sport touring machines. I'm with the lad that said he'll wait for a professional, unbiased shootout. We all of us sway towards what we ride/want.

After nine days and nearly 1,000 miles, I can say I'm pleased with my new '07 FJR. I'm planning a run to Eureka Springs soon at which time I expect the dreaded "surge" to raise it's ugly snout. I'll then begin the process many have already gone through.

I'm not gonna bail, sell the FJR or allow myself to become disheartened; I'll simply take it by the numbers and deal with it as best as possible.

Lennie

Hi, let me introduce myself. My name is Fred H. (not nimrod by the way).

Just so happens I own both bikes, and am still riding them both, so I thought I would make some notes on the differences and share them. I apologize if that upsets you.

And yes, I did make a mistake on the valve change interval. The numbers for miles are in parenthesis and kilometers are listed outside. I simply read the wrong one. Take away my birthday, I made a mistake.

As for the comment about tires, I am now on my third set of tires, and have brand new ones on the bike, with less than 500 miles on them. I am not so silly as to try to compare a bike with worn out tires against a new bike with fresh tire and I know how the FJR handles both with new, and with worn tires.

I didn't post these notes on this site, because it seems that anything I post on here become a target for folks to throw darts at, no matter what the topic. And this topic was sure to stir it up, so I didn't even bother.

I am truly sorry if anything I wrote bothers any of you or if you feel it is biased or unfair. I did not intend it to be, and tried to include good and bad points of both bikes. Maybe someone else will come along and do a better comparison than me or maybe Rider or one of the cycle mags will do a comparison and you can see what they have to say.

I do not hate my FJR as some of you seem to think, quite to the contrary actually. If I hated it, I would have gotten rid of it long ago. I just noticed some problems with it that I didn't like and explored for ways to fix them.

I am sorry that so many of you have taken a combative approach toward me but I have more important things that matter to me in life and I won't allow insults from folks I have never even met bother me in the least. Though I am a bit surprised when I look at the rules on this forum about "personal attacks". I guess that is all just window dressing and appears not to be enforced at all.

Each and every one of you are welcome to come visit me, ride with me, get to know me, ask me for help on anything motorcycle related, and I will do whatever I can to accommodate you. And many of you have. I have had at least 5 FJR's in my garage from folks who live in this area helping them work on things in the past year.

I really would like to post on this site more often, but to tell you the truth, I do not feel welcome here, and it seems like anything I post just angers you folks, so I guess I am better off just keeping quiet.

Pardon me now, while I go ride. Maybe some of you should do the same.

OUCH! Good for you Fred. Some of these forum "regulars" do need to get out more and spend less time in cyber land.

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

daily rider, rain or shine

I for one love your reports. I am following your comparo thread daily. Yes, I just bought an 07 but you never know what I'll do next. :)

The Connie sounds like a wonderful machine by the way.

Keep it coming Fred H.

hh

Regarding Fred H's Post,
The Valve check on the C14 is not at 24,000 miles it is every 24,000 km, which is every 15000 miles.....FRED H needs to check his facts or owners book and quit drinking all that stupid juice!

See for yourself:

If he is a engineer, I sure wouldn't want him checking facts for me!!! :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

So @ 60,000miles you will be doing your FOURTH valve adjustment on the C14. Hmmm and only 10,000miles into your SECOND valve adjustment on the FJR!!!

Gimme a break about how the C14 has a faster turn in and handles better..... DAH any bike with BRAND NEW TIRES will turn in better than another bike with mileage(flatter) on the tires!! What a nimrod!!

And NO it is Not a well written side by side comparison. It is written by someone who is a NEW OWNER of one of the bikes being compared to and clearly written for the ego's of the C14 forum. I will wait for a non-biased SPORT TOURING SHOOTOUT done by a group of impartial riders. And I too!! Will stick to the FJR. It is clearly a all around better and proven SPORT TOURER.

WW

You're kidding right? Do you really think he wouldnt have taken into account the new tires? Who's really the 'nimrod'? I suppose I'll throw in a smiley for you as well, since you seem to enjoy them... :good:

It sucks you have to jump all over a guy who has contributed so much to the community. He has helped me on a few occasions when I first purchased my bike. And when I say contributed I dont mean sits on his ass all day and posts a bunch of one-liners. Get over yourselves and your precious FJRs.

I love my baby...and its ok that a new bike has come along and someone likes it better...really it is.

I may be in the minority here but I have a few gripes with the FJR ( although I am not giving up on the bike )

that Fred has pointed out.

Namely throttle response, vibration @ 4K ( right where I ride ), and drive line lash. These

issues can really take some of the fun out of a daily 3 hr commute after a while.

I have been waiting for someone like Fred who has experience with both bikes to help me decide if

I should be looking at the C14 rather than fighting these issues.

I think the more forward riding position, knees more bent, and heat issues ( all FJR positive traits )

are making me look to fix the FJR.

Thanks for the feedback Fred.

Fred,

Don't let a couple of :asshat: 's keep you from the forum.

WW: Take a freakin Chill Pill Dude!! The Fred H police aren't going to come take away your FJR.

JW

Regarding Fred H's Post,

See for yourself:

WW
Settle down, Tonto. He wasn't writing about your sister.... :glare: