Ca Hwy 395 Eastern Sierra - fall colors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy Epperson

Reaction score
One of the advantages of being the owner/operators of your own business is some times you can just go. With the forecast of a big storm hitting the SF Bay Area and the Sierra on Monday night and Tuesday after Columbus Day weekend, Catherine and I decided at the last minute we'd do a "fall colors ride" a long the Eastern Sierras before the storm had a chance to blow the leaves off. As it turned out, I'm guessing, we were about a week early for most places to get the full blazing yellows and oranges on "all" the trees. None the less, we had a great trip, a great mix of greens, yellows and oranges, 850 miles, 3 days, and got home before the rain and wind started.

We went out Highway 120 and stopped at Buck's Meadows for lunch. 1950s atmosphere, service was friendly but the food was less than stellar. Lots of cars and RVs going between Crane Flat and Tioga Pass in Yosemite National Park, so we didn't make great time but got to enjoy the scenery - never get tired of the Yosemite sights

Here's Tenaya Lake from a cross the valley

tenayaLakeCA_091010_pan_000a.jpg

We head South from Lee Vining via the June Lake Loop to Mammoth Lakes. Saw a bunch of

silverLakeJuneLakeLoopCA_091010_014.JPG

Who, of course, have the right a way. Got to exercise the brakes several times; but no close encounters of the physical kind.

Silver Lake on the June Lake Loop

silverLakeJuneLakeLoopCA_091010_020.JPG

We've stayed in Mammoth several times going through but never took the time to see the Mammoth Lakes; what a mistake!

twinLakesMammothLakesCA_091010_010.JPG

lakeGeorgeMammothLakesCA_091010_pan_002a.jpg

We stayed at the Alpenhof - friendly staff, nice room, but bed was as hard as a rock; but it was within walking distance of the Whiskey Creek Restaurant (restaurant and brew pub). The food was good, the beer and service was great.

Sunday was "lets see the lakes and color". We'd been to Rock Creek so we pass on it and went to Convict Lake

convictLakeCA_091011_003.JPG

And then Lundy Lake. The lake itself was ho-hum but it had the best colors along the road into the lake and above the lake.

lundyLakeCA_091011_005.JPG

lundyLakeCA_091011_013.JPG

Had to go to one of our favorite lakes, Virginia Lake. Had a great hamburger at the restaurant / store .

virginiaLakesCA_091011_014.JPG

virginiaLakesCA_091011_012.JPG

We'd never been to Bodie State Park - a ghost town. It is 13 miles East of Highway 395 and the last 3 miles was hardpacked gravel and a lot of washboarding. But you can pick your way through if you take your time but your shocks will get a good work out. You don't wanta try it if it has rained or will rain before you get back to the pavement. The paved portion is a fun ride. Bodie is a ghost town with no services - gas, food or water! I called the park several days ahead to get a road report. The map programs show 2 other routes in. One is from the South coming up from Highway 168 and the other come from the Northwest out of Bridgeport. Both are dirt the entire way

bodieStateParkCA_091011_020.JPG

bodieStateParkCA_091011_023.JPG

bodieStateParkCA_091011_053.JPG

Between the lakes and Bodie, that killed the day so we slabbed it up 395 to Reno so Catherine could spend some "quality" time in the poker room.

On Monday, we rode up to Highway 70 and down to Quincy. Usually, we continue down 70 to Oroville but this time we gave Bucks Lake Road / Oroville Quincy Highway a try.

bucksLakeCA.gif

Great ride, definitely a do it again and again. Had a late lunch in Marysville and then slabbed it back

to the Bay Area. We got home about 4 hours before the Monday night / Tuesday storm started raining and blowing.

Great weekend 850 miles on the clock, about a week or so early for full yellow, orange and gold leafs (that only matters if the storm didn't blow the leafs off!). The mix of green, yellow, orange and gold was very nice.

For more pictures from the trip or others of this area, click here and follow the links.

Beautiful country you rode through, Roy. And great job capturing it.
Thanks, if I only could figure out a system to take pictures while moving. Some the neater shots don't have motorcycle turn outs

Northern CA ya say? ;) Looks like a nice place.
Marginal at best, just another cr*py weekend in NorCA :yahoo: :rolleyes: :yahoo: We keep wondering were else we could live but one or more of the seasons don't support riding bikes, it's too dry, cold or both. I'm 30 minutes to the coast, 50 minutes to the wine country or 2 hours to the Sierra.... Which way do we go this weekend

And you dodged the stormy weather!(Was it cold?)
Low 50s over Tioga and 64 in Mammoth in the afternoon. 45 in the morning and mid 50 to low 60s depending on elevation. High 60s in Bodie and 75+ in Reno. Quite comfortable for the most part - with the correct clothes.

Excellent post and pix!!!
I love that area. June Lake Loop is awesome. Bodie is also a great trip and site.
I don't think I'd wanta do Bodie mid summer on a bike unless I pulled a tailor with water :rolleyes: Maybe the next time, we'll take some more time to poke around. They are having tours through the stamp mill which would be interesting to see more of the mining and processing activities.

Great post and pics! Been in that area a lot, fishing, backpacking and riding the Feejer. One of my favorite areas!! Actually i just got back from Reno, went to "Street Vibrations." Unfortunately did not have time to stop until we got to Tahoe. Thanks for taking the time to take memories for us.

Brian

Nice pics. This week will be prime fall colors in the Sierras. Looking real nice around Grass Valley and above.

Bodie is an awesome place. Highly recommend taking the Mr Ranger tour of the actual buildings where the ore was processed.

Rode into Bodie a few years back on dual sports from Hawthorne Nv, that was a real kick!

Sneaking away from work on Wed. to ride Kings Canyon etc. along with Sherman Pass, oh boy oh boy.

Last edited by a moderator: