Caging it From CA to MN

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the comments, friends. (Well, except for that unoriginal comment about my being original. At least I tried hard to unoriginally bash Harley riders in an original way for your reading pleasure. I mean, come on, how many people use a running of the bulls metaphor to describe Harley riders? If you're going to bash me, at least put some thought into it and try to do it in an original, entertaining way. Jeesh! A brain is a terrible thing to waste. )

Anyway, I posted this thread from a motel with wireless the night before we moved our son into his apartment, and then crashed at the new apartment for three days--with no Internet! Now on the trip home, tonight is my first time on the Internet since last Friday.

So I missed the chance to meet the folks who offered to get together. Sorry! I would have loved to meet y'all. Rad, I probably walked right by you on Monday! We toured the campus, which is beautiful BTW, just like Minnesota is. Never been there before.

My son took all the pics on the trip (has a camera hobby), so I have to wait till he sends them to me, hopefully by when I get home Friday.

Fang and I are crashing for the night in Kearney, NE. Cool town! And here's more evidence of the Road Rule Silent and I came up with on our NAFO trip: When you get to a town, ride all the way through it before commiting to a motel or food on the end you first come in on. The first mile of Kearney off 80 looks like an L.A. strip mall--all fast food, gas stations, and motels. But go a mile further, up and over the bridge crossing the RR tracks, and there is the coolest town with a brick main street. We ate at a local pub with live music. Fantastic!

BTW, I am APPALLED by the number of riders I've seen without helmets or full riding gear on this trip. By far the vast majority of riders we've seen in the midwest have been without helmets. I think most of those were Harleys, but other bikes as well. I would say the majority of Harley riders were without helmets in states permitting none; but on other bikes it was the reverse (the majority had helmets), but still plenty without helmets. I can only conclude that (a) either most of these people are stupid or (b ) they are not stupid and I am wildly mistaken in estimating the risk.

JB

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, I am APPALLED by the number of riders I've seen without helmets or full riding gear on this trip...I can only conclude that (a) either most of these people are stupid or (b ) they are not stupid and I am wildly mistaken in estimating the risk.
Hey, it's their right and freedom of choice to ride w/o protective gear. I'm sure every last one of them had gobs of life, disability and healthcare insurance so they won't become a burden on the rest of a completely responsible and accountable society or leave their families in a bind should they become disabled or if they are killed. Besides, they have loud pipes so they won't get in wrecks. :rolleyes:

Personally, I believe in the illusion of protection when wearing gear and riding defensive-aggressively....

Two Patriot Guard Riders went down on Monday's mission. They were traveling through Santa Rosa from Ukiah to SVNC in Dixon, when the accident happened . Lori Adams of Lake County and Chaplain David Gallegos who is very much involved in the Capitol Region, were injured and both riders were taken by ambulance to Santa Rosa Memorial ER. As of this post Lori is at home recovering from road rash and head trauma. David is in Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital, and he would appreciate calls, (707) 546-3210 ext.2278. David sustained 4 fractured ribs and a broken leg. Please keep Lori and David in your thoughts and prayers, both are dedicated Patriot Guard Riders. This past month David has taken the position of Chaplain and Ride Captain for Welcome Home Missions. He will be needing help and assistance when he is released from the hospital. Please email me, if you wish further info.Doc Hawkins

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides, they have loud pipes so they won't get in wrecks. :rolleyes:
Personally, I believe in the illusion of protection when wearing gear and riding defensive-aggressively....
Besides, if the loud pipes don't prevent a wreck, the rider can always lay the bike down to prevent the accident.

I'm still clinging to my twin illusions that a) they're all out to get me and B) if they are successful, ATGATT will reduce the amount of damage to me.