California needs additional $3 per gal tax

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Constant Mesh

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Dems rule the roost in the state. The Environmental lobby inhabits the Dems. They've wanted the public to use less gas. Why don't they make California the test case for the country?

Jack up the price of gas to $8 a gallon with a state tax. That's what the enviros want.

Same goes for electricity. They don't want to produce it in the state with coal and nuclear plants but they're happy to buy it from producers outside the state.

Jack up the price of electricity to 20 cents a kwh. If you don't want to produce it in your state you gotta pay a big premium to bring it in from somewhere else. Drive that consumption down.

I would rather not have California be a test case. This state is in pretty bad shape without helping it along. Gas is already almost 6.00 a gallon in some places. I vote for New York to be the test state.

Jake

Dems rule the roost...The Environmental lobby inhabits the Dems...California the test case for the country...Jack up the price of gas...enviros...If you don't want to produce it in your state you gotta pay a big premium...
'Mesh dances dangerously with third rail topics. :lol:

Why should any State be the test case? Oil and coal are not going to stay in the ground. Someone, at some point, is going to pull it out of the ground and burn it. I would like it to be us. Once we get rid of all of it, then we can start worrying about alternative fuels. Until then, worry less, burn more.

Mark

Interesting how people actually believe that raising the price of gasoline will drive down consumption and somehow avert shortages . . . . . the only thing that high gasoline prices do is make oil companies all along the production chain (and by extension the governments that tax them - which are not necessarily in the US) richer.

A huge percentage of the driving that is done is perceived by the drivers to be 'necessary'. They will continue to use their vehicles, reducing their spending in other areas (just have a look at Starbuck's sales profiles) to compensate. So since there is no downside for the oil industry to raising prices, the oil companies do it with impunity. And because tax revenue is at least partially based on the selling price (2.5% state tax in Cali plus some other minor bits, plus any local taxes) there is no incentive for governments to regulate pricing and supply. Unfortunately every other business is paying the price for this (and by extension, consumers).

Don't believe me? Run a chart of the REAL prices paid for oil wholesale (lately the benchmark pricing has been running abot $90 for West Texas crude, but it has been selling for a discount of about 50% - the same applies to Alberta tar sands crude which is used to supply much of the US - and THAT is hanging around at about $70 and selling for $35) and chart it against the retail price of gasoline, noting that demand has dropped, and there have been NO shortages of gasoline or other refined petroleum products and the volatiles from US refineries can't be profitably shipped outside North America, gasolne prices are at an all time high.

By way of example; When oil hit $145.29/bbl on July 3, 2008 the retail price of gasoline in Montreal (where we actually have LOTS of spare capacity - enough that they are closing a local refinery due to excess capacity) hit $1.43/litre (US$5.32/Gallon using the exchange rate of the day) in response and today Montreal prices are $1.49/litre (US$5.78/gallon at today's exchange rates), even though the crude cost is less than a quarter of what it was back then.

And yet everyone still drives the same as they did. But their cars don't get maintained, homes don't get maintained, people don't buy clothing eat or out as much and they've cut back their spending in every other area to compensate - and the ripple effect is that governments see less tax revenue on profits from businesses and sales taxes on durables, so they have to crank up property, income and sales taxes and borrow more. At least interest rates on those loans and bonds are low . . . . . for now.

25.25 to fill my tank yesterdeay.truck has 30 gallon tank so needless to say its not moving

A huge percentage of the driving that is done is perceived by the drivers to be 'necessary'. They will continue to use their vehicles, reducing their spending in other areas

Bingo. But why do they perceive it so? Because slowly, since the advent of modern gasoline powered vehicles, it has become the norm to drive a car (or bike) to work.

Nobody lives near where they work anymore, and the average commute is 45 minutes!! Not only is that a huge waste of money (vehicle fuel, maintenance costs, wear and tear on the vehicle eventually requiring replacement) but think of how much of your life is being wasted just getting to and from work!

Let's do some depressing math. Let's assume the average male in the US goes through grade school and 4 years of college, so he starts his career at age 23 and then works until age 65 (total of 42 year). He gets 4 weeks of vacation and 10 paid holidays so he works 46 weeks per year, 5 days a week. His commute at 1.5 hours per day would be 7.5 hours per week, 345 hours per year, or 14,490 hours over the course of his lifetime.

If someone told you that would have to forfeit 603 days out of your life, how willing would you be to accept that?

The real problem here is the idea that you need to live in one community and commute to work in another.

Why should any State be the test case? Oil and coal are not going to stay in the ground. Someone, at some point, is going to pull it out of the ground and burn it. I would like it to be us. Once we get rid of all of it, then we can start worrying about alternative fuels. Until then, worry less, burn more.

Mark
Here, Here! From what I've read, the US alone has about a 200 year supply of the stuff before we need to start pedaling. I'm sure with all the sharp cookies in our country, we can figure out something else in the meantime, but to stab the working class in the wallet to force inefficient technology on us now, for the sake of saying we're going gr... (I just can't force myself to say it) is just plain shooting ourselves in the foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.