California Smog Testing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longrider

Reaction score
SB 435 was introduced in this session of the Calif Senate. This bill mandates the smog testing on motorcycles start by the year 2012. The requirement is to be applied to all motorcycle from the year 2000 and up.

For those California owners with modified exhaust systems, fuel mapping equipment, or any other modifications to the pollution control equipment it would be very good to save all the stock parts for re-installation.

As you know, in California you cannot register or renew your registration with out a Smog Certificate.

Several of the other motorcycle organizations I belong to are trying to stop this Bill in committee. Unfortunately anything that "controls" pollution in California almost always passes.

Longrider

They've been pushing this for years and it has been fought off. Eventually it IS going to be enacted and those who haven't saved their OEM stuff to pass the semi-annual smog test are...er...uhm.... :unsure:

Once it passes in CA the rest of the sates will follow suit. Besides, the fines it might generate will make it worth while.

Probably long overdue depending on the areas. If it passes down south, you can bet it will move north and east pretty rapidly. At least I'm running stock - stock, so no worries.

--G

I think it is just another way of taking every last penny we have. 5 dollars here, 1 percent tax there. I cant stand it any longer......................uuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh..............i better go for a ride

Precisely why I have all my OEM stuff, and on the FJR, that includes the cats in the OEM exhaust.

I consider my Muzzy system a means to save and preserve the effectiveness of those cats for when they're needed in 2012. Lord knows that it's going to be very spendy to replace an OEM header if the cats are burned out and the bike doesn't pass -- a LOT more spendy than what aftermarket systems go for.

I wonder how Habib at the local smog check is going to put my bike on a dyno.
This is gonna be interesting.
+1 Gunny!
I won't let any shmogger shmo tie my bike down and throttle it up on their dyno. Could be real issues with this one.... I agree it will get there some day, and I remember some time back the date was 2009 for this. Hopefully it'll go out to 2525.

Probably the minority opinion here, but I welcome this bill.

In my area which is a popular haven for Harley riders, there are hundreds of Harleys and customs that run straight pipes. That's NO mufflers or catalytic converters at all - just chrome pipes! They put out sounds levels that set off car alarms and damage eardrums, not to mention the effect on the air we breathe! I have never seen one ticketed for noise or air pollution, as it seems to be part of popular culture here.

It may be relatively easy to throw on the original muffler / cat in order to temporarily to pass an emissions test. However, an individual running straight pipes is clearly not complying with the law. I wonder is they will also step up enforecement OR just place a burden on riders to keep their stock stuff to put on just for the smog test. (My guess is the latter.)

I'm in the market for a used FJR in the coming months and may have to go out of state to get one, so I'm wondering how they will work it out for 49-state bikes that are imported to California. Will the title indicate that it is legal BUT doesn't have the required smog devices?

Cheers,

Rick

2247302-plus1.gif

In my area which is a popular haven for Harley riders, there are hundreds of Harleys and customs that run straight pipes. That's NO mufflers or catalytic converters at all - just chrome pipes! They put out sounds levels that set off car alarms and damage eardrums, not to mention the effect on the air we breathe! I have never seen one ticketed for noise or air pollution, as it seems to be part of popular culture here.
word.gif

Heard the

?

I'm with you, this thing is long overdue!

I left my bike stock on all intake/exhaust systems.

I quit smoking a few years ago because of a long bought with bronchitis = too long! I had to make a decision, was I going to breath or smoke? Fortunately for me, I chose breathing. I will choose this way again if it comes to it!

LA Times clicky.

I find this stat hard to believe from the article.

"Motorcycles account for 3.6% of registered vehicles in the state and make up just 0.8% of vehicle-miles traveled, yet account for 10% of passenger vehicles' smog-forming emissions, according to the California Air Resources Board"

Motorcycles account for "10% of the passenger vehicles' smog-forming emissions," yet motorcycles account for less then 1% of the miles driven...??? I'd like to know how they did that sampling, and what they based this on, etc.

Related link from this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
LA Times clicky.

"Motorcycles account for 3.6% of registered vehicles in the state and make up just 0.8% of vehicle-miles traveled, yet account for 10% of passenger vehicles' smog-forming emissions, according to the California Air Resources Board"

Motorcycles account for "10% of the passenger vehicles' smog-forming emissions," yet motorcycles account for less then 1% of the miles driven...??? I'd like to know how they did that sampling, and what they based this on, etc.

Sounds like a "we hate bikes so we will make up what ever we feel like" BS to me.

It's the state hatin on the aftermarket exhaust systems on the Hardlys IMO.

You have to have seen motorcycle smog tests comming down the pipe. I'm still waiting to have to smog my boat every other year too. If this comes to be, at least I still have my PAIR system and can reverse any mods I've made.

LA Times clicky.

It's called "More tax dollars for the state!"

Be sure to thank the "straight pipe" and "loud exhaust" crowd (A swarm of sportbikes is as bothersome as a herd of V-twins). This has been coming and it looks like they've found a way to force motorcycles into a semi-annual inspection. IIRC, there are other states that already require that inspection (lights, exhaust, tires, etc.) but this one will bring the CARB into the mix (with attendant fines, etc.) and perhaps the weight of federal requirements. One would have to assume that anyone being stopped for a traffic violation will also get a cursory inspection and any modified exhaust would also carry a fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be sure to thank the "straight pipe" and "loud exhaust" crowd (A swarm of sportbikes is as bothersome as a herd of V-twins).
I'll thank 'em when they go away. Until then, I'll continue to curse them and wish they had those loud-ass noise polluters run straight up there asses. Where's my confounded electric motorbike already??? Can I get one that goes 200 and has stealth technology too?

Time to get your pens out and let your representatives know you don't want any part of this. I got this from the AMA the other day.

John

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please pass this on to all your friends that ride! It's very important that we do not ignore this unless you want your bike to have to pass smog checks. Even if you don't ride. I'm sure you know others that do. Please sign the online petition and give your support. The attachment to this letter is an AMA "click to send" message to send an E-mail letter to your Senator, opposing the Smog Bill SB- 435.

https://capwiz.com/amacycle//issues/alert/?alertID=12937506