Can a 2007 Police smuggler fit 2009 regular FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slick72

Reaction score
Hello Gurus,

Greetings from the Middle East !

A fellow rider recently purchased a FJR modified for the local police and used as a demo motorcycle for them with 1500 KMs,

He wanted to change it to a two seater and I sourced him a new rear seat from US , Now the best part is he does not want the police smuggler ! And I can have it for free
smile.png

Can I fit it with out any modification ? do I need to remove the rear grab rails ? What are the things I need to do to fit them ?

This police smuggler look like one in this topic - https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/152190-police-seat-and-radio-box/?hl=smuggler&do=findComment&comment=1064221

Ride safe !

Slick 72

From reading that other thread and looking at the picture, I would also wonder if the stock front seat works with that smuggler...of course I have ZERO experience with the smuggler, so my input is worth less than $.02.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is only one way to find out. Tear into it and let us know.

Good luck with it, I hope it works out.

I'm currently working on one I got from a Aussie FJR forum member. It does fit, but the rear rack.grab rails have to be removed. I'm currently working on a way to attach it to a rear seat pan to make installation and removal easier.

The rear bracket has to be cut so that you have a flat base and you don't have to cut the rear plastic, you do not use the big base.

I'm currently working on one I got from a Aussie FJR forum member. It does fit, but the rear rack.grab rails have to be removed. I'm currently working on a way to attach it to a rear seat pan to make installation and removal easier.
That sounds like a recipe for trouble further down the road.

There have been many documented accounts on here of rear sub-frames failing even with the rear grab rails in place. As far as I am aware there have not been any accounts of rear sub-frame failures with the Givi SR357 grab rails in place.

I guess you will need to include Givi type rails in your final design............................

There have been many documented accounts on here of rear sub-frames failing even with the rear grab rails in place. As far as I am aware there have not been any accounts of rear sub-frame failures with the Givi SR357 grab rails in place.

I guess you will need to include Givi type rails in your final design............................
I'm not an engineer and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but...

From the looks of the unit, the bulk of the weight will be farther forward than where a top case would sit, removing some of the 'cantilever' effect that seems to cause the cracked subframes. Also, whatever weight will be in the smuggler is certain to be less than an actual passenger, and in the same location. My guess (and it is just that) would be that the grab rail wouldn't be needed in this situation.

I'm not an engineer and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but...

From the looks of the unit, the bulk of the weight will be farther forward than where a top case would sit, removing some of the 'cantilever' effect that seems to cause the cracked subframes. Also, whatever weight will be in the smuggler is certain to be less than an actual passenger, and in the same location. My guess (and it is just that) would be that the grab rail wouldn't be needed in this situation.
This is right.

The "police box" sits where the rear seat would normally be. Only a very small portion overhangs behind the seat, and none of that weight is supported by the rear subframe, so should not be an issue.

I have a set of the metal GIVI rails, and even though they are much stronger than the stock ones, they still do not eliminate the problem of rear subframe failure. The rear subframe is just a poor design.

Can't argue with either of those replies. Good luck with the project, looking forward to seeing the finished product.............
rolleyes.gif

Those Aussie PoPo bikes get around!

You have to make your own bottom if you cut the rear mount, this allows more usable interior space

I salvaged a strip of the mount to attach a rubber strap to, so my tool storage is back there.

bottom_2.jpg

The stock seat (or RDL) fits fine

IMG_20130628_185953.jpg

You need to come up with a plan to open the font seat. The Aussies have a special reversed latch. See parts 4 and 7

720738_1.png

Hello Gurus !

Thanks with the information I will be attempting with the process of fitting (trying ) it on Saturday after my night shift so hope it works , With regards to able to open the front seat I might have some problems ...may be attach a cord or a small wore rope to the opening latch and have into the box to have it opened .

To remove the rear grab rails do I have to remove any plastic parts ?

I also feel that fitting the police radio box will not have any effect on the rear sub frame as it sits on the rear seat area and the load will be minimal when compared to a fully loaded top box !

Ride safe !

Slick72

The grab rails have 2 bolts under the rear seat and the 3 on the rear rack. This box puts little to no load on the rear subframe.

For a down and dirty seat opener get a bicycle brake cable. Put the rear seat latch in place of the front latch. The left side will be a tight fit against the frame. Capture the end of the brake cable wire here. Route the cable housing thru the opener part of the latch. Now when you hold the other end of the cable you can slide the housing and open the seat. Yes this is a cheesy rig...but it will get you by ;)