Can anyone help? Looking for help picking a new Windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omar

Reaction score
New Owner of a 2008 FJR and hate the stock windshield. It makes a lot of noise and buffeting at any speed above 40 mph. I'm 5'9" tall and a 30" inseam. I don't care about the looks so much but do care about the function the most. What can be said for the comparison of Rifle, CeeBailey, CalSci, VStream? Is there any one source that compares the four or more?

Just my experience, but the CalSci sucks, mine was off-center from day one where it would scrape the LHS mirror stock in the full down position. Also, the finish is home-mades rough...

I've been using the CeeBaileys (+2"+2" w/flip) for around 3 years and like it.

VStream has had good reviews from many users, but gets a bit hot in summer.

VStream is alright in summer, run my shorty shield on spacers in the summer, and the Vstream on spacer the rest of the three seasons. Been keeping me wind free recently and it's been 30-50 degrees.

I picked up a Cal Sci from a forum member for half price and it's everything I needed. May not be the same spit and polish as some others but at 75 to 80 mph over the mountain passes in upper 20 to lower 30 degree temps, one barley needs to lower the face shield all the way. To each his own but the med. sized Cal Sci satisfies my needs for winter riding. It had the larger opening and I did modify that a bit to reduce the size of the opening. Comfortable and quiet although I do wear ear plugs. The proper size has a lot to do with being satisfied.

As the weather warms I'll be switching back to the original.

Keep Going!

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the AHAMAY touring screen with spacers and it works well for me. That said, the make/model of your helmet can often make more of a difference than the w/s.

Not all helmets are the same when it comes to buffeting and sound suppression. I recently bought a new Shoei RF-1100 and it made a significant difference in how quiet the ride is. (My prior lid was an ARAI Quantum II. For 6 years I loved it, but for me it was louder and didn't fit me quite as well as the Shoei does now.)

Although I've wondered about trying different 'shields, the change in helmets made such a difference I decided to stay put with the touring screen. :thumbsup:

My $0.02.

I've had the original, the CeeBaileys +4+2 and the CalSci XL on my gen 1.

For me:

the original is good for around town only. could not get to like it at highway speeds in any position

The Cee Baileys was finished very nicely and offered good protection but I think it caused contributed to helmet turbulence/buffeting and high speed weaving.

The CalSci fixed the buffeting/turbulence and is quiter than the other two. Is is not as nicely finished, but for me the beauty is in the performance. Its all about the aerodynamics. Mark knows his shit.

Note, I have a gen 1 bike. The gen 2 bikes could be a whole new set of equations.

Better half gave me a Rifle for Christmas, and while I have mounted it, I haven't had a lot of opportunity to test it out. It does seem to give me more of the protection I had on my Gold Wing, which is what I was looking for.

I have had the CalSci on my Gen II now for about 3 years and I am thinking about replacing it with a rifle? The CalSci is alright bt I am ready for a change.

99.9% of all my miles are while riding two-up. So I can't give a true one-up opinion of any windshield.

The VStream works perfect for us. I'm 6', she's 4' 9". No heat issues, as it still goes down low enough for me to get air when needed. No back pressure air or buffeting. But I have given a friend (6' 2") a lift one time and the back pressure wind was horrible. I guess it depends on if you ride alone or two-up and how tall your passenger is.

Vstream...at first seem a bit too big, but after traveling with it for a while it is a perfect change from the original windshield.

I've had the CalSci large and felt I had to look around it, switched it out for the Med and have used it for 3 years.

There are as many favorites as there are windshields available, good luck.

The #1 MOST personal question!

IMHO depends on your height (from butt to top of head), helmet, seat height, bar position & arm length (are you leaned forward more than others) +??????.

Good luck.

+4+4 Cal Sci works great for trips and cooler weather. I'm 5"9". When it's hot and riding locally, I use the stock shield.