Can GP fork inserts be refurbished?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archer

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
These GPs came out of my forks when Andreani cartridges were installed.
Can they be used again? Can they go into a Gen 1 forks?
Would giving them as a "hand-me-down" be an insult?
Or an unreasonable cost to refurb?

Thank you, Forum members.
gp inserts.jpg

gp inserts end caps.jpg

gp closer up.jpg

GP suspension stuff is good stuff. Did these come out of that second set of forks you bought? Do you know the model year year?

come out of that second set of forks
Yes, from VMaxChuck's Gen 2 forks which he also used on a 16'. They were fun!

The new guy Buda from WA state (aka John) was saying his Gen 1 forks needed work, and he seems dangerous enough with hand tools, having slammed 7k miles on his frame since he got his first FJR just this year, all while fixing issues on the way. So, trying to figure out if the GP's are worth the hassle to hand off on him. Thanks for the feedback, Forum friends.

Archer, yes the GP setup will fit into a gen 1 fork.

When ChazGlen had an issue with his gen 2 forks, he bought a set of gen one forks off ebay for the cartridge. They had GP cartridges in them. We installed them into his gen forks. Works just fine.

Last edited:
You guys are awesome! My bike came with newer RaceTech springs .95 kg. Fork oil has been coming out of the top of the forks near the adjusters.

I found this (see attachment) on the RaceTech site.

After discovering what appeared to be a tire label inside my worn rear tire along with the DynaBeads I question anything done previously to my bike. The discovered wadded up label was traveling around inside my tire with the DynaBeads and likely the culprit of uneven wear and the need for a tire in Billings, MT. BTW Cycleworkx in Billings is super reasonable and does quality work.

It sounds like the RaceTech springs have certain installation requirements that may or may not have been followed. I do not know much about forks and it looks like I will be learning in the near future.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-12-05 at 1.31.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-12-05 at 1.31.34 PM.png
    656 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-12-05 at 1.31.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-12-05 at 1.31.34 PM.png
    656 KB · Views: 0