Cancellation of Y.E.S. on sale of bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had I bought an extended warranty on a (any) vehicle, I would never expect any sort of a refund from it. Instead, I would try and parlay that into a somewhat higher resale price (assuming the warranty is still in effect) and call it a day. You have clearly also received some value personally by being protected (insured) from major problems for your period of tenure.
That's how I felt too. But there it is, in plain language in the contract.

You know, it was the trading dealer who asked me "can you get some refund from the contract?" I said yes, and he said "Take it."

Yeah, I did not expect a refund when I bought it. But there it is in black and white that you can get one.

Yeah, I tried to parlay it into a higher resale price .... have you tried to sell a low mileage high dollar bike on the used market this spring? The KBB trade value started the spring at $7K, and was $5800 last I checked. The guy who took the bike in trade has been trying to sell it for 5 weeks. Season is going fast. Not moving for him either.

Yeah, I did receive some "peace of mind" by having the extra coverage. Made me think I had a BMW warranty, but with unlimited mileage. Woo woo!!

so... where exactly is this really cheap low mileage '05 (best year) for low bucks?

I'm sure some body other other wants to know..

(PS - Thanks for your candid, and non emotional, replies. Yes, I have a motorbike I'm looking to sell. I agree the market is slanted for the buyers.)

so... where exactly is this really cheap low mileage '05 (best year) for low bucks?
Short answer: BMW Triumph Ducati of Daytona Beach, and its not being offered very cheap yet, but they've got room

The bike is a 2006 AE, with the 2007 maroon/burgundy "black cherry" tupperware due to a swap of the silver tupperware before first sale in order to make a 2007 A model buyer happy about color (had to have silver).

I bought the bike new in 2008 as a leftover at Sloan's in Murfreesboro, TN.

It has had all recalls. It has about 10,500 miles on it. It has Metzeler Z6 tires, which I personally like ... and they've probably got about 5000 miles of life left in them (installed at about 8000 miles). Bike has the bag liners, owners manual, frame plugs, and top box lock cylinder. Bike is bone stock, except for a small tank protector strip which is not covering any marks. There is a gouge on the lower cowl right behind the front tire where my Condor Chock bit it on a trip when the chock was adjusted for a larger wheel, and I was too dumb to notice. It is in the plastic, but not through. I bought touch up paint, but never used it. You won't see this lower cowl mark unless you're looking for it. I included the touch up paint with the bike (paying it forward :rolleyes: ). Everything worked perfectly, and there were no issues with the bike. It was carefully broken in on twisty roads with good elevation changes. No lugging. Excellent performance all around.

I offered the bike on this forum for around $7400. I also let Sloan's take it on their sales floor as a consignment. They asked $7995. I offered it on ebay for $7200. I had some offers, but they were down between $6K and $6.5K. I was pretty sure I could trade it for $6K, and then I'd have the sales tax advantage that would make the value of the deal more like $6600 with our sales tax. So that's the route I went. Took me out of the test ride business, and the bike became part of a multi-bike trade so it was complicated, but fun.... I ended up trading two used bikes even for the new Rocket III Touring. My wife liked the idea of reducing the number of axles in the garage, and she also liked the idea of the even trade.

BMW Triumph Ducati of Daytona Beach told me they thought it would sell for about $6500, but when they put it up for sale, they asked $8995, which is above KBB retail. They dropped the price to $8495, and now they are asking $7995. Still high in my opinion based on the spring market, but I'm sure they want room to do a trade, or to haggle. The bike is on ebay. If you want to haggle, you have to call them and haggle directly. Ebay option is just BIN.

The Y.E.S. warranty, which I was offering when I was selling the bike myself, is no longer on the bike. Its still a nice bike though.

I'm thinking that if someone wanted a low mileage 06 AE in the black cherry livery, and if they were serious about a cash sale, they could probably get the dealer to get out a pretty sharp pencil. This dealership is very good about giving you a "bottom line". I've traded with them on 4 new bike purchases in the last 3 years. Still, its always good advice to count your fingers whenever you're doing a deal.

Edit: After two months on ebay, and price drops from $8995 to $8495 to $7995 to $7495, they finally dropped the price all the way to $6995, and it sold that day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts