Getting a new bike, beamer...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

an-guy

hi
Reaction score
I'll still be here, sorry guys, I am still your problem.

I test rode a 23 F750GS last weekend, I loved it a lot. Bike was low and light and easy to ride, fun, it fit perfectly. The new gizmos and electronics and doodads also tickled my fancy quite a bit, will be my first actually modern bike.

A couple financial mistakes later... tomorrow I pick it up. They did give me a pretty good interest rate and 1k off MSRP. OTD is 13,000 including tax/tags/title/fees all the crap dealers stick on, and usually MSRP is 13,300...

I decided not to trade the FJR in. It would have made the payment more palletable, but the FJR is just...a dirty whore of a tool. for lack of a better term. All the fancy electronics doesn't change the fact that the FJR keeps all of the wind off you and can run 200W of heated gear while still being able to hit 160 mph. But the BMW will definitely be more enjoyable on those 90F+ days...

Might bother you guys with postings about the BMW, you lot have been pretty cool. I check out the BMW forums and, half of them are completely dead, the other half are just people who look at something new and find all the reasons why their older thing is so much better. And all of them have some cocksnots going around with their 30,000$ BMW R1250GS fully loaded mac daddy Jungle Cock starbucks machine 9000s, saying how anything smaller is for women and new riders. My oh my, the BMW scene can be insufferable...

Attachments

• DF8B28DB-4530-462A-BE7A-3FE89774DD21.jpg
    DF8B28DB-4530-462A-BE7A-3FE89774DD21.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 2

I test rode a 23 F750GS last weekend, I loved it a lot. Bike was low and light and easy to ride, fun, it fit perfectly. The new gizmos and electronics and doodads also tickled my fancy quite a bit, will be my first actually modern bike.

A couple financial mistakes later... tomorrow I pick it up. They did give me a pretty good interest rate and 1k off MSRP. OTD is 13,000 including tax/tags/title/fees all the crap dealers stick on, and usually MSRP is 13,300...

I decided not to trade the FJR in. It would have made the payment more palletable, but the FJR is just...a dirty whore of a tool. for lack of a better term. All the fancy electronics doesn't change the fact that the FJR keeps all of the wind off you and can run 200W of heated gear while still being able to hit 160 mph. But the BMW will definitely be more enjoyable on those 90F+ days...

Might bother you guys with postings about the BMW, you lot have been pretty cool. I check out the BMW forums and, half of them are completely dead, the other half are just people who look at something new and find all the reasons why their older thing is so much better. And all of them have some cocksnots going around with their 30,000$ BMW R1250GS fully loaded mac daddy Jungle Cock starbucks machine 9000s, saying how anything smaller is for women and new riders. My oh my, the BMW scene can be insufferable...
Congratulations on the F750GS. A little over a year ago, I bought a 2017 F700GS for the "roads less travelled". (I replied to your post on ADVRider.)
Doesn't hold a candle to the FJR for power, weather protection and long distance comfort but I got it because of the things I prefer not to do on the FJR. Mostly gravel roads, camping and in situations where a lighter bike is more important than power/performance. The fact that it is substantially less fragile is a major plus. Got a pretty good deal on it and hasn't cost me much so far...

Good luck with it.

Oh hey Rosskean, thanks. That's right I forgot you have a BMW, I didn't know you were on the ADVrider site. Are there any other good forums for those bikes?

Yes, its gonna be very good for the more local explorative dirt road rides and such, just being able to go off on whatever random dirt road...

Oh hey Rosskean, thanks. That's right I forgot you have a BMW, I didn't know you were on the ADVrider site. Are there any other good forums for those bikes?

Yes, its gonna be very good for the more local explorative dirt road rides and such, just being able to go off on whatever random dirt road...
The ADVRider one is the only place where I am active. Some good guys there and helpful, although not especially active most of the time.

Some useful stuff on
https://www.f800riders.org/Although I am not currently a member there.

I was disappointed with parallel twin info on
https://forums.bmwmoa.org/Just a bit of reading - didn't join.

ADVrider seems alright so far. F800riders.org is cool, but pretty quiet...

BMWmoa.org may have been where I saw some people talking smack on the F750GS/F850GS lol. we're not all dang 6 foot 2.

I just traded my ‘17 ES in on a ‘24 R 1300 GS..

I just traded my ‘17 ES in on a ‘24 R 1300 GS..
If it fits you, I can't blame you at all. The 1300s are nice too. My irl FJR friend just traded in on a KTM 790, but I think he will end up on a 1200/1250/1300 because of touring.

Another friend on a 1200GS wants a 1300GSA

Congrats! Cool bike. I wish I had discovered adventure riding when I was younger. I moto camp off the FJR but won't do those remote fire roads.

BTW no FJR is gonna do 160. Even Yamaha says top speed is 137. Although one article claimed 154 but that was not GPS. And I don't know how much I'd trust them when they publish things like this.... 😄

Model:FJR1300AFJR1300ES
FJR1300A87.8 in x 29.5 in x 52.2 - 57.3 in87.8 in x 29.5 in x 52.2 - 57.3 in
FJR1300ES31.7 or 32.5 in31.7 or 32.5 in
L x W x H:60.8 in60.8 in
Seat Height:5.1 in4.9 in
Wheelbase:6.6 gal6.6 gal
Maximum Ground Clearance:36 mpg36 mpg
Fuel Capacity:635 lbs (CA model 637 lbs)642 lbs (CA model 644 lbs)

I must ask, how does the GS compare to the FJR in longer rides and touring?
Don't think Bob will be able to answer that until spring - no R1300GS in the wild yet. Many people love the R12xxGS bikes for touring. A long way from being a dirt bike, but more capable than the FJR off the beaten path.
My issues with them as LD tourers are high initial cost, higher maintenance costs, lower ultimate reliability and poor dealer network. The lack of an available service manual means that you may pay high shop rates for some stuff you could do yourself. My closest BMW dealer is two hours away and I wouldn't deal with them except in an emergency. Next closest is six hours...

Congrats! Cool bike. I wish I had discovered adventure riding when I was younger. I moto camp off the FJR but won't do those remote fire roads.

BTW no FJR is gonna do 160. Even Yamaha says top speed is 137. Although one article claimed 154 but that was not GPS. And I don't know how much I'd trust them when they publish things like this.... 😄

Model:FJR1300AFJR1300ES
FJR1300A87.8 in x 29.5 in x 52.2 - 57.3 in87.8 in x 29.5 in x 52.2 - 57.3 in
FJR1300ES31.7 or 32.5 in31.7 or 32.5 in
L x W x H:60.8 in60.8 in
Seat Height:5.1 in4.9 in
Wheelbase:6.6 gal6.6 gal
Maximum Ground Clearance:36 mpg36 mpg
Fuel Capacity:635 lbs (CA model 637 lbs)642 lbs (CA model 644 lbs)
Thanks I hope I love it. I love moto camping too, great time. I don't trust their specs very well either

I may disagree on the top speed, since I didn't trade it in, the chances of me doing some top speed runs with a GPS are high. I've seen 165 indicated on mine, probably more like 150-155. Eventually I'll take the bags off and find a giant straight road and then post incriminating evidence of me having found the top speed via gps

Don't think Bob will be able to answer that until spring - no R1300GS in the wild yet. Many people love the R12xxGS bikes for touring. A long way from being a dirt bike, but more capable than the FJR off the beaten path.
My issues with them as LD tourers are high initial cost, higher maintenance costs, lower ultimate reliability and poor dealer network. The lack of an available service manual means that you may pay high shop rates for some stuff you could do yourself. My closest BMW dealer is two hours away and I wouldn't deal with them except in an emergency. Next closest is six hours...
Yeah... pretty much. Mine is between 1.5 hours and 3.5 hours depending on a lot. I'm 100% doing this maintenance myself, I don't need help losing more money lmao

You also literally need an OBD tool to reset the service light..... what the frick BMW lol.
I bought the UniCarScan bluetooth OBD2 interface and the Ultimate version of the (android only) Motoscan app and it does all I need in terms of service reset, diagnostics and coding for my F700GS. If you are an Apple user, you can get a cheap used Android phone or tablet without a cell plan to run Motoscan. Alternative is to spend MUCH more for the GS911.

Edit
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1262216933...VipPNIZLHTb6RxrXSAbRFixg==|tkp:BlBMULjW1ruMYw

Last edited:
I can tell you; the protection isn't the same. Tho after market shields are helpful. My wife's has a Puig two-piece that she likes. But she's 5'4". and bark busters or the like help too. Lotsa people LOVE the Madstad. IDK if Aeroflow in CA makes one for the F750, but I've used them on my RTs and they're great.

I can tell you; the protection isn't the same. Tho after market shields are helpful. My wife's has a Puig two-piece that she likes. But she's 5'4". and bark busters or the like help too. Lotsa people LOVE the Madstad. IDK if Aeroflow in CA makes one for the F750, but I've used them on my RTs and they're great.
My 2017 came with a Puig screen which I hated - flimsy and little protection from wind, rain or bugs. I bought a Madstad and it transformed the bike for highway riding and inclement weather. I'm 6'3" so I got the tall (22") one. Probably not ideal for off-road so I also bought a shorter (plastic screen only) one that can be quickly swapped out as needed. Madstad offered a deal on a second screen when you bought a shield system from them.

(Still doesn't offer the protection from the elements that you get with the FJR and suitable windshield.)

I been riding BMW's for forty years and recently bought this '06 FJR ( love it) Check into BMWMOA membership so you can access the forum. The magazine is great too. And you may find that the BMW 'quirks" grow on you...
You can access the forum and read threads without joining and becoming a paid member. You cannot do a search or look at attached photos that reside on the forum. There is not a lot of content for the F-Twins... In addition to full forum access and participation, there are some discounts available to BMW MOA members (as well as the magazine). Personally, I am not tempted to join and many discounts are also available to ADVRider members.