Canyon Cages Police Bar style vs Engine guard style

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricW88

Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking at adding canyon cages to a new bike. The bike already has a frame slider but I would probably take it off to add canyon cages. I like the idea of the large Police bar style canyon cage (https://www.amazon.com/MC-Enterprises-Engine-Guards-1200-100/dp/B0068ESI42). I like that you can mount AUX lights to it and it looks like it would protect the fairing, bar ends, mirrors, and engine well.

It looks like in a higher speed crash they count possibly fold/bend backwards and in that instance the more common engine canyon cages might be better (https://www.amazon.com/MC-Enterprises-Canyon-Fairing-Protectors/dp/B018RQN35M).

I wanted to know your opinions/experience. It appears that the original engine guards are more popular/well used. I think that having the extra fairing/bar/mirror protection would be nice and having the ability to mount LED lights to it would be even better. Just didn't know if from people's experience they do or don't function well in tip overs or low speed crashes? How did it fare in high speed crashes? I know there was some talk of the engine guards being able to have a pivot point and tip onto the handlebars/mirrors if the bike rocks over the top edge of the engine guard...looks like that would not be possible with the Police style larger bars?

I also plan on adding the rear bag guards at the same time. I think it is worth mentioning that for the price you can get the front Police crash bars and rear saddlebag guard for the same price as the engine guard version...so obviously if the Police bar version will still work satisfactorily it would be nice to save the $$$ from an engine guard version.

So what's your thoughts and experience??

Last edited by a moderator:
In a high speed crash I don't it will make any difference what protection you have. As far as a low speed tip over my T-rex guards proved reliable.

Dave

If I was putting bars up front, and I could do it without cutting, I'd do the ones that stick out. I believe, however, that they require cutting the fairing. My t-Rex bag guards and r&g sliders kept me from any damage in a low speed knock down.

Last edited by a moderator: