Cardo Scala Q2 Pro Rant

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiteflyer

Reaction score
For the past year I've been trying to get this damn unit some volume. Especially, I would like to use my Ipod through the Q2 as advertised. The lack of volume is ridiculous. Recently, I did the earbud mod on the unit and went directly to the board to solder on the wires going to the female 3.5 mm plug to plug my earbuds into. To my delight, it works! To my disappointment, I still can't get any volume. The wind noise generated by my Shoei Quest required me to go earbuds that block out most of the wind noise. I just wish I could get a bit more volume.

It is my belief the the Scala Q2 Pro is an inferior product. It never has, and probably never will put out any respectable volume levels. When funds become available, I'll get a Sena with the earbud option.

There, I feel better about pissing away $160 on a POS.

I have the Scala G4 and I have just the opposite problem. I can't get it to turn down far enough when I listen to the radio. My hearing is not good, too many heavy caliber handguns, working in a plant too long, too much time in boats and on motorcycles, etc. It still won't turn down far enough to not be annoying. Oddly enough this is only with the radio function that I have too much volume. The sound quality is also not very good with the radio. It is fantastic for bike to bike communication which is what I bought it for. It does very well for cell phone conversations. I get plenty of compliments on it, most people don't believe I am on the motorcycle. It is crystal clear and I am well pleased with it for all but the radio.

I haven't owned the Q2 but did you happen to try using earplugs with the speakers installed in your helmet? I've got the G4 and if I don't ride with earplugs the wind noise in my helmet (Bell Star) makes it difficult to virtually unusable when at highway speeds (65+). I use regular earplugs I bought at Target (32 dB attenuation) and it dampens the wind roar and I hear everything clearly. I read that you removed the speakers to go directly into ear buds, maybe you've tried this already but if not it won't hurt to give it a go. Other than having to resolder on your board... :) !

The Cardo stuff is just an expensive crappy toy. I found that out with a Team Set a couple-a-few years ago. A completely inferior product and even worse, completely inferior Customer Service. THE WORST EVER. I wouldn't piss on them or their product if they were on fire.

I bought an Autocom and have never looked back.

The Cardo stuff is just an expensive crappy toy. I found that out with a Team Set a couple-a-few years ago. A completely inferior product and even worse, completely inferior Customer Service. THE WORST EVER. I wouldn't piss on them or their product if they were on fire.

I bought an Autocom and have never looked back.

Please don't hold back! Tell us how you really feel! I still like my G4 but with everyone saying how great the Autocom is I am curious.

Yes, please enlighten us on the Autocom. What model and why is it an improvement? This is my first go round, if Autocom is the cat's meow I can always trade up!!!

I haven't owned the Q2 but did you happen to try using earplugs with the speakers installed in your helmet? I've got the G4 and if I don't ride with earplugs the wind noise in my helmet (Bell Star) makes it difficult to virtually unusable when at highway speeds (65+). I use regular earplugs I bought at Target (32 dB attenuation) and it dampens the wind roar and I hear everything clearly. I read that you removed the speakers to go directly into ear buds, maybe you've tried this already but if not it won't hurt to give it a go. Other than having to resolder on your board... :) !
I reopened the unit and moved the grounding lead to another pin and found much increased volume levels. The MP3 option shows no improvement. The earbuds I went with are Sony EX-580E that drastically reduce the wind noise in my helmet so that now I can hear my phone and the mono FM broadcast through the Q2. I'll have to find another option for the Ipod. At least I'm happy enough to keep and use the unit. That will prove to be important on my Saddlesore 1K that I'm doing in two weeks.

run it with a wire and grab one of these

boostaroo.jpg

I have had a few years of experience with Scala units myself. First, the Q2 Pro Set. The volume and sound quality for both the intercom and the phone were excellent, FM was good as well. However, with the MP3 connection I always struggled with the low volume issue. My solution was that I first bought the Boosteroo and then the Mixit2, both increasing the volume level to satisfactory levels.

Last year I "upgraded" to the G4. By comparison, the volume levels on the G4 is essentially ear splitting. However, I have experienced a myriad of problems with the G4's. Mostly the problems have been associated with the poor quality of the intercom connection with the other G4 in the Pro Set. Cardo replaced the units twice but it never made a difference, until recently when they replaced them for the third time. I put the other unit on a buddy's helmet last weekend and the units functioned very well all day. So I am encouraged that maybe the problem has been resolved. By the way, even when I had problems with sound quality G4 to G4, I had excellent sound quality when connected to a buddy's Q2 with my G4. The volume level with the music at max is ear splitting. The volume for the intercom, phone and radio volume are all very good. My biggest gripe about the G4 has been, and still is, interference with my radar detector when I am transmitting music to the G4 via bluetooth. I get the occasional false radar signal. Obviously, this is not good. My work around has been to just run my music from the headphone jack on the phone into a Radar Overide, since I have to have ear buds for my radar detector audio anyway. Ultimately I'll have a stand alone MP3 instead of playing the music from my phone. That way I'll be able to keep the phone connected via bluetooth, but not streaming music, which falses the radar detector.

I would have to rate my experience with Cardo's Customer Service as an 8/10. They have been mostly responsive to the numerous issues I've had with the G4's but it is sometimes hard to reach them. On occasion I've had to leave a voice mail and then wait for a call back.