Cee Bailey 4+4

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocket

Doctor Throckenstein !!!
Reaction score
I went on a bit of a ride. 1K interstate, state and The Dragon. I've had the CB4+4 for about a month. My observations:

When not geared (helmeted) and bopping round town: beautiful. You can keep the wind and rain off easily if you want to. In the full down position the wind hits me just about right. In the full up position, it blocks LOTS of wind and debris. The cone of silence is huge. Jzeesh that thing is BIG!.

Geared up, I notice that the shield really pushes down on my lid and tries to compress my neck. Talk about uncomfortable. If I raise it up, it gets really quiet and comfortable in my Symax. Problem is I have to raise the shield up so far that I'm looking through it. If I need to, that's OK, but normally I would prefer not to look through the shield.

I was very comfortable with the shield all the way down, and my helmet up in the wind. Much easier on the neck and shoulders. But to get up in the wind, I had to REALLY sit up extra tall. I'm way too short. I keep hoping that problem will go away, but it seems to just get worse. :D

I think I'm going to have to go the way of the tuning bar, ala Rifle, to tip that puppy down. Either that, or chop it off some. I think I'll stack up some platic washers, or fab a tuner for it and go out and try it again. I definitely want to keep the strain down on that helmet. And that seems to be best when I'm either completely in the wind, or completely out. Inbetween, I'm be being compressed even shorter. And it's bad enough as it is. <_<

I have two questions: How tall are you? And, what difference has the added width made? I'm thinking of the +4+3 - appreciate your review and comments.

I think I'm going to have to go the way of the tuning bar, ala Rifle, to tip that puppy down.
Did that on the initial install of my 4+4 CB, and have not had the issues of which you speak. Just used longer screws and 3/8 nuts for spacers.

I added the +4+2 and it works great. It blocks wind so well that I decided to take it off until the hot weather goes away. I think it will be great this winter.

Todd

Todd, that's what I was thinking on the hottest part of the ride. Just take it off.

Thanks Rad, I like the nut idea. I was thinking about something a little softer, though. Maybe a nut with plastic washers on either side? Did you just put them at the bottom or or "staggar" them upwards for support with the tilt?

JimLor, the wind is almost completely off my hands. It still hits my pinkies. Keep in mind, I have dual risers and my bars are back and rotated in a bit. So YMMV. But the wind on the 4 wide is on my pinkies only. With the bars in the factory location, 3 wide may be all you can get. As it is now with mine, lock to lock, the shield hits the levers.

Thanks Rad, I like the nut idea. I was thinking about something a little softer, though. Maybe a nut with plastic washers on either side? Did you just put them at the bottom or or "staggar" them upwards for support with the tilt?
No need for plastic washers or to stagger them for support. The nuts go between the bottom motor bracket and the bottom piece of the 'W' sandwich, Not between the 'W' sandwich pieces contacting the windshield. There is no contact with the windshield, everything is nice & solid.

FJRocket,

I went to Lowes and found two new bolts of M6x1.00x25. I then also found some plastic spacers labeled 5/8 x 1/4 x 3/8. I inserted one 3/8" spacer under each bolt.

I also tried to stuff two 3/8" spacers along with each bolt; however, that was too much. I think a 5/8 x 1/4 x 5/8 might have worked; however, I wasn't interested in a second trip to Lowes to see if they had such a spacer.

Hope this helps.

i'm with jimlor; without telling us your height it's hard to tell if any of this information is useful to the rest of us. i'm 6'3" and looking for a taller shield, but can't tell if i'll get more or less turbulance than the stocker.

I have the +4+3 and have only mild buffeting on the top of my helmet when the screen is full up. Full down the wind hits at the high chest level. Weather protection is great. Plenty of wind for the hot summer rides but when it rains it really protects well. Cold weather riding is a snap. BTW I'm 6'2" with a 35" inseam. :agent:

I'm 5' 6" with a 28 inch inseam. Short at both ends, but legs more short than torso.

Maybe we should start measuring from the top of the seat to the tip of our noses in the full upright seated position to get an idea of where everyone's mellon is at.

With my lid off, the wind hits me just above the eyebrows and the shield all the way down. I would guess that the shield would be about perfect for anyone of normal symmetry and 5' 10" or taller. If you want your helmet in the breeze, but still blocked over the top.

I think I'm going to try to tip the upper edge of the shield down/back about 2+ inches.

Thanks for all the tips, guys. I'll try to make the changes using suggested techinques. Makes more sense than screwing with the W.

Next time someone has a shield off and "inserts" of various kinds mounted, will they post a few pictures? Or give me a link to existing posted pictures fo the "W" spacer locations and sizes? I'd be interested in seeing the Rifle tuning block, nylon and nut type spacers and exactly where they go and how they influence angle. Thanks!

My problem with my +4/+4 is that when it's in a good "wind protection" position, I tend to be looking through the sky/screen boundry (or at least the boundry is in the 1-2" range of where my eyes want to scan). It's not _too_ annyoying, but it is noticeable if I think about it. I'm 5'9", 30" inseam.

No doubt. When I have my helmet on, going down the interstate with the wind deflected over head to relieve the pressure, it's a fine line I'm looking at. I essentially look through a slit between the top of my helmet and the top of the shield. Down completely out of the wind, I HAVE to look through the screen. And as much as Cee Bailey reports distortion free, it ain't. In fact, the plastic is more wavy than any other windshield I have ever had. Clarity is fine, though.

I may put my stock shield, or back to the GIVI flip I have to go to EOM. Maybe test ride around here, first. See which suits me best. But in the winter, that BAYWINDOW is going on there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nylon and plastic spacers have had a tendency to distort, hence my use of plain 'ol 'Merican steel. Rifle link showing tuner installed and resultant angles-

https://www.rifle.com/stores/showdetl.cfm?&...ment_Windshield

I'm 5'10", the 3/8 nuts work just right. Screws came from Ace hardware. If all my problems were solved this easily, I might lose the Sterno habit. Note the kick-out at the windshield base. This lets enough air through that I run the CB year around, gives a nice stream of air through with shield all the way down. Had the oe shield on for a short bit in the heat, wasn't worth the noise and buffeting for really no increase in air flow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tips guys! I used a combination of your recommendations to tip the top of the 4+4 shield backa nd down a bit.

I went to the hardware and got 2 stainless M6 screws. I used the longest size that I could seem to get the shield brackets to mate properly. The screws looked like they were about 3/4 inch long, maybe 1 inch. Sorry, I didn't pay that much attention to the actual size.

Also, the way I have the thing assembled, when the shield is in it's full upright position, the top brackets run out of slot and hit the plastic dash. That could be bad in the winter, I think it could easily crack the plastic. I don't, however, anticipate running with the shield all the way up. For me, it's just not necessary that often, if ever, to run the shield all the way up.

I used 2 stainless M6 nuts and two washers between each of the two brackets to bring the W bar out forward. That of course tips the top of the shield back toward the rider.

The shield now tilts down quite a bit. The air comes below my ears with the shield all the way down. Again, I'm only 5'6" with 28 inseam. So that put the flow very low.

Sans lid, I have to put the shield up a tad to keep my face out of the wind. With the shield up, the airflow blockage and wind noise actually seems even more pleasant than before.

Thanks again for the suggestions and ideas!

I just want to confirm:

The nuts and washers are going on the lower brackets that hold the W right? 3/8" washers...is that the thickness, or the diameter?

Please provide enough detail for the thick headed people here (me).

I got the CB +4+1 and it was very nice on the long ride we had, however, I think it would be even better if I could lean it back toward me a bit to get it closer to us. I figure the closer it is, the harder the cross wind has to be to impact us.

I'm 5"8...170lbs..I got the CB 2+2 with no flip..and I find it just the perfect amount of extra coverage.

I actually used 2 each M6 countersunk phillips stainless screws and matching stainless nuts and washers. I think mine were about 3/4 or 1 inch. I can't remember. You replace the two hex countersunk screws behind the plexi that holds the W frame to the motor bracket. I got my parts at the True Value hardware store. I think Lowes has them, too.

You could stack 3/8" fender washers (diameter opening) or just about anything metal you want in there. Size does matter, but heck, if you just get the matched M6 sets and use a couple nuts sandwiched between a couple washers, it's a hell of a lot easier than making a shit pot full of spacers. Although stacking little stainless fender washers that match the screw diameter would really let you tune the shield position. The nuts just seem sturdier, and the whole thing is less likely to come loose.

The idea is to get the nuts and washers between the W frame and the motor bracket.