Cern's Large Hadron Collider powered up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, but they haven't "crossed the beams yet." That wont happen until sometime in the next few weeks. Right now, they only have one beam going in one direction. They will start another beam going in the opposite direction shortly, and then in the next few weeks collide them. When that happens, they will end up getting particles that are several times hotter than the sun, but smaller than a spec of dust. Hopefully, the world as we know it won't come to an end, but if it does, I am counting on the FJR to be able to out run a black hole.

So can I tell the boss that since the world is going to end before the deadline for this report, I don't need to do any more typing?

They won't cross the streams at full power until 2012; that's when the Mayan calendar ends.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum, or something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
you got to remember the black hole is very small now, it will take some time before it starts consuming the earth :rolleyes:

you got to remember the black hole is very small now, it will take some time before it starts consuming the earth :rolleyes:
Consumption will be regulated by how fast material can pass through the event horizon. Initially the micro black holes will be producing huge amounts of gamma radiation as material hits the event horizon and gets bounced out. After a few milliseconds the micro black hole(s) should be able to start feeding on huge amounts of material in femtaseconds. :bye: As the micro black holes gain mass they will fall into the center of the earth which should be like Odot falling into a vat of Tequila :)

In theory the only way large black holes can be reduced in size is through theoretical Hawking Radiation. If theory is wrong there is no currently known mechanism to keep black holes from growing.

:lazy2: :lazy2: :lazy2: :lazy2: :lazy2: :lazy2: :lazy2: :lazy2: :lazy2:

Last edited by a moderator:
If theory is wrong there is no currently known mechanism to keep black holes from growing.
Says you

atapping.jpg

:p

Yeah, but they haven't "crossed the beams yet." That wont happen until sometime in the next few weeks. Right now, they only have one beam going in one direction. They will start another beam going in the opposite direction shortly, and then in the next few weeks collide them. When that happens, they will end up getting particles that are several times hotter than the sun, but smaller than a spec of dust. Hopefully, the world as we know it won't come to an end, but if it does, I am counting on the FJR to be able to out run a black hole.

I think I heard about that once in a Ghostbusters movie. They said it was bad if you crossed the beams.

I'm saying its gonna be bad. If Bill Murray says its gonna be bad...I'm goin' with him. No freakin scientist that I don't know from adam is gonna convince me otherwise.

I'm still hopin' to have that ride down in MO/AR in October, but hey if the world gets sucked into a black hole...I guess that ride to the black hole is gonna havtado. I just gonna havta get my cowboy hat so I can do my "yeehaw" on the way there.

Damn, if the galaxy is consumed by a black hole, I'll never get to be dissapointed in 2010 with the release of the all new even blacker FJR....