CFR 2016 - Let the Festivities Begin

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamafitter

Reigning NERDS Granite Lane Gold Medalist
Reaction score
I spent some of the morning at the local Canadian Tire looking for a few things the patch up the FJR after my deer strike yesterday. Chris saw my post and called me and Chris offered to bring me a foot peg off his old bike that we will install once he comes back from his ride.

After I checked out a few things on the bike and using the wild Bill Highway peg on the left side I took a 200 km ride to go check out a few things on the one route.

Thursday%20ride-L.png

I wasn't sure about a section of Clear Lake Rd and it is a good thing I went out. I also found out that the restaurant is closed during the week and after you leave the restaurant the road turns to gravel and there is a fairly steep climb with a number of turns. Those with limited dirt bike experieince would not be happy with me if I sent everybody on this part so when I got back I edited the route.

Coming into Eganville I came across a pretty cool photo op....

DSC_0060-L.jpg

The rock sculpture is a modern interpretation of an Inuksuk, a stone landmark used by the Inuit, Inupiat, Kalaallit, Yupik, and other peoples of the Arctic region of North America. I thought it needed a photo.

I pulled into the Moose on the Beach restaurant at about 13:30 but everything was closed up. I did take the opportunity to take a few photos along the beach across the road....

DSC_0061-L.jpg

DSC_0062-L.jpg

I made my way up the gravel hill to the Opongo Rd. The Opongo Rd from Clear Lake to Hwy 41 is big fun.

Chris just arrived so I have a foot peg to fix.

-to be continued-

and the hits just keep on coming........

I can't find my bike keys this morning. I called the auto club and they don't have a local contractor so they just gave me a number of some local clown that doesn't answer the phone. My spare keys are in Bowmanville so I'm officially screwed.

I'm considering rolling the FJR into the Ottawa River and buying a Honda. I also considering changing my name to DCarver since my luck this last week is on about par with Carver's.

I'm almost sure that the keys may have fallen out when I pulled my wallet out to pay for dinner last night. I should have followed Chris' example and pretend I forgot my wallet and had Dianne pay for me too.

Bungie was the one that talked me into Pembroke so I am blaming this all on him, the jackass.

There was one good thing. Chris loaned me the foot peg off his basket case Gen 1. We fixed my bike so now with the mix of Gen 1 and Gen II parts I now officially have a Gen 1-1/2. Iggy will be along shortly to dispute that.

Are your top case keys separate from the ignition key? You got into the top case AFTER you came back from dinner last night...

I can't find my bike keys this morning. I called the auto club and they don't have a local contractor so they just gave me a number of some local clown that doesn't answer the phone. My spare keys are in Bowmanville so I'm officially screwed.

I'm considering rolling the FJR into the Ottawa River and buying a Honda. I also considering changing my name to DCarver since my luck this last week is on about par with Carver's.

I'm almost sure that the keys may have fallen out when I pulled my wallet out to pay for dinner last night. I should have followed Chris' example and pretend I forgot my wallet and had Dianne pay for me too.

Bungie was the one that talked me into Pembroke so I am blaming this all on him, the jackass.

There was one good thing. Chris loaned me the foot peg off his basket case Gen 1. We fixed my bike so now with the mix of Gen 1 and Gen II parts I now officially have a Gen 1-1/2. Iggy will be along shortly to dispute that.
At least you didn't loose your wallet.......

Chris had my keys. He saw the keys in the topbox and took them but forgot to give them to me later that night. Crisis averted. I won't be changing my name to DCarver after all.

Well theirs your problem! The mix of Gen 1 and Gen II parts has created a worm hole of chaos in the space-time continuum.

I'm dealing with some shit here. I have 1200lb, 7' x 14' steel shed that is likely to be delivered while I'm in Pembroke. Wanna bet they dump it right smack dab in front the front door to make sure I don't miss it. It's all BillyFitz's fault, mixing heathen Gen II parts on a refined Gen 1.

Just got a text message from France Veillette, she's got a buggered shoulder and won't be making it. Looks like it's gonna be a cozy gathering. Line and I are out the door shortly.

Just got a text message from France Veillette, she's got a buggered shoulder and won't be making it. Looks like it's gonna be a cozy gathering. Line and I are out the door shortly.
SPOTwalla linky?? Gotta ride vicariously through you all, especially since I've got a nice piece of hardware on my right leg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got home from work (writing this Friday night at 9).

Going to try and be up there at the hotel tomorrow morning before everyone heads out. Keep an eye out for me.

- Colin

Friday's Ride

After Chris gave me my keys back for my bike we had the Friday group gather up in front of the motel for a quick riders' meeting. We had 11 riders so we split into two groups to keep things manageable and headed out. We first crossed over into La Belle Province (Quebec) to sample a few of the 300 series roads which featured some nice sweepers and then headed back towards the river to cross over by into Ontario.

I turned onto Rte 303 and went past a French sign and a couple of orange cones. I have forgotten almost all of my Grade 10 Highschool French but I thought it meant the road might be closed. Sure enough a few kilometers down the road we came to the road barrier and had to do a little backtracking. We did come across a nice covered bridge along Rte 148 however....

DSC_0071-L.jpg

We also came across road construction. I know this was in Quebec because they have Arret signs rather than stop signs...

DSC_0072-L.jpg

Once we crossed back over the dam back into Ontario we headed along the river and stopped for gas. Chris and his group that had started before us passed us at that point. It seems that Chris had taken the boys to his favorite gas bar in Quebec and that was when we had gotten ahead of them.

As we headed towards County Rd 9 We came across Chris in conversation with one of our fine OPP constables. It seems the constable was not amused when Chris the scofflaw passed the OPP SUV. Fortunately Chris got away with just a scolding and after some frockling on County Rd 9 and the 511 we all pulled into the Redneck Bistro in Calabogie for lunch.

- to be continued -

After dinner one of the gang had an issue when the battery would not turn over his FJR. A few others assisted and they were able to bump start the bike. I almost had another encounter with a deer just immediately before turning onto Centennial Lake Rd when a fair sized doe decided to bound across just in front of me. The rest of the ride over to Griffith was good with no other critter sightings worth mentioning. At Hwy 41 part of the group bailed to go see a friend of Mike Wine Guy who has a very nice cottage near Clear Lake.

I still had my group of four other riders and we continued south down to Hwy 28 and ran that all the way over to Bancroft and then picked up the old 121 towards Haliburton. Before we got to Tory Hill we turned onto the Loop Rd and made our afternoon break at the Wilberforce Diner for refreshments (no alcohol) and Apple Crisp....

DSC_0077-L.jpg

I think Kevin was going into sugar shock.....

DSC_0080-L.jpg

The Apple Crisp was just as good the second time on this trip. As we were leaving I took note of the sign across the road....

Worms.jpg

Chuck worms and fireworks. The mind reels with the possible combinations and permutations.

Chris and the remainder of his group rolled into Wilberforce right after us so we decided to ride in one pack for the rest of the loop. We backtracked to Harcourt and then turned up Elephant Lake Rd and then the Peterson Rd along the bottom of Algonquin Park over to Maynooth. we stopped for gas in Barry's Bay and then made a quick stop in Wilmo but I found out later we had just missed Bungie for perogies.

From there we turned up towards Round Lake and headed back to Pembroke. On Highway 17 I had another issue with the bike when my McGyer patch on the shifting assembly failed and I got stuck in 4th gear. I tried to limp the bike through town but stalled the bike on the main street a kilometer from the motel. I couldn't get the bike in neutral the normal way so I had to pull the plastic side cover off the bike in the middle of the street while Kevin directed traffic, By manually grabbing the shifting rod we were able to get the bike in neutral and get it in a slightly safer spot and I was able to effect enough of a repair to clear the SH_51 code and get the bike working again.

We started out at 9AM and we rolled back into the hotel at about 7PM after 635 kilometers (400 miles) of turns and twists....

Friday%20Ride-L.png

We did a little bit of socializing in the parking lot afterwards and the went for supper at the roadhouse next door but I was falling asleep at the table since I had been up since 5AM and went straight to bed afterwards.

Saturday morning while packing up since I had to get home early we found that the deer strike had cracked one of the upper mounts for the left side case. Bungie had some ty-raps and we secured the bag to the bike so that I would not lose the bag on the way home and then I proceeded to misplace my bike keys for the second time on this trip. After a rather frantic search I found them and finally got on the road. 3-1/2 hours later I was at a Tim Hortons about 15 minutes from my home.

I unpacked the bags and rolled the bike up on my lift table in the garage. I will deal with it Monday. So ends my 2016 CFR adventure.