Changing the coolant. Got the panels off.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slo-ride

slo-ride
Reaction score
Just thought I would ask...I'm changing the coolant at the 16K mark and I'm doing the FJR "Blow Job" per the FJRtech.com website. I've already gone through one cycle and working on another now. So, while I have the fairings off, does anyone need a picture of anything under the hood?

There was another post of someone wanting pics of the foam insulation pads on the inside of the lower fairings....

There was another post of someone wanting pics of the foam insulation pads on the inside of the lower fairings....
That was Bounce.

BTW, I'm going to change the coolant today using the blowjob technique.

Wish me luck...this is my first time. Hope it doesn't suck to do.

Done!

• Changed the rear drive oil
  • Greased the moving parts - the ones I could reach.
  • Changed the plugs
  • Throttle body sync (with my homemade sync tool).
  • Changed coolant - complete with the FJR BlowJob
  • Inspected all the hoses
  • Checked all the ground connections and various wires
  • Found a spring clip that I dropped int he fairing last year
  • Put it all back together
  • Going for a ride!

This was my first full-fairings-off maintenance so I'm pretty proud of myself. Noob.

:yahoo: :clapping:

You basically fill the radiator to the top, put the cap on, start the engine then let it sit until the fans turn on. Let it run for about a minute after the fans kick on then turn it off. Let it cool down (I used a fan to speed the process up) to the point that the fluid doesn't explode out of the radiator. Open the radiator again and you will see that there is less fluid. This is because the coolant has been distributed into the engine block. Now add more to the radiator. Rinse and repeat until the level doesn't drop anymore. Then, after you've got the level up, fill your overflow reservoir which is going to require you to remove the fairings. There is no way around it. They have to come off just to fill the reservoir.

:blink:

"Then, after you've got the level up, fill your overflow reservoir which is going to require you to remove the fairings. There is no way around it. They have to come off just to fill the reservoir."

Really?

How about a funnel with a foot or so of hose attached to it? :blink:

"Then, after you've got the level up, fill your overflow reservoir which is going to require you to remove the fairings. There is no way around it. They have to come off just to fill the reservoir."

Really?

Too simple.. Things need to be difficult otherwise they ain't worf da effort. ;)

Really?

You can fill the radiator without removing the panel on the clutch side but you will have to remove the panel to fill the overflow reservoir. If you don't, you run the risk of getting coolant on the plastic which, according to some info on the fjrtech.com site, os a bad thing. Taking the panels off looks difficult bit it isn't. Take them off. Once you doing it, you will know so much more about your bike. Plus, the cap on the reservoir is a snug/snap fit over a lip molded into the reservoir. It was pretty hard to get off with the fairing gone. I know I could not have done it without removing the fairing.

Oil and Filter change, judges score 9.8

Access to front brake and clutch reservoirs, judges score 9.8

Access to Coolant overflow, rear brake reservoir and fuses, judges score -7.6

Oil and Filter change, judges score 9.8

Access to front brake and clutch reservoirs, judges score 9.8

Access to Coolant overflow, rear brake reservoir and fuses, judges score -7.6
Bungie speaketh truth, Grasshopper.

(And it doesn't matter which iteration or generation FJR one owns.)

You basically fill the radiator to the top, put the cap on, start the engine then let it sit until the fans turn on. Let it run for about a minute after the fans kick on then turn it off. Let it cool down (I used a fan to speed the process up) to the point that the fluid doesn't explode out of the radiator. Open the radiator again and you will see that there is less fluid. This is because the coolant has been distributed into the engine block. Now add more to the radiator. Rinse and repeat until the level doesn't drop anymore. Then, after you've got the level up, fill your overflow reservoir which is going to require you to remove the fairings. There is no way around it. They have to come off just to fill the reservoir.

Got that thanks. I had visions of squeezing one of the main rubber hoses to push the air to the top. I've had to top up the overflow tank 3 times now. Hopefully it will settle soon.

As regards taking the side panel off. Yes you can top up with a bit of creativity but I don't feel that I have got the top of the bottle back on properly unless I can get at it properly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Got that thanks. I had visions of squeezing one of the main rubber hoses to push the air to the top. I've had to top up the overflow tank 3 times now. Hopefully it will settle soon.

As regards taking the side panel off. Yes you can top up with a bit of creativity but I don't feel that I have got the top of the bottle back on properly unless I can get at it properly.
Just for your FYI - here are a couple of photos:

The first shows the reservoir with the side fairing removed. Easy to get to here.

FJR%20Reservoir.jpg

The next photo shows how I got to the radiator cap. I just removed the black side panel just to the right of the glove box (per the FJRTech site) and was able to bend the plastic back just enough to snake a funnel with a connecting flexible tube on it into the hole.

FJR-Radiator-Cap.JPG