chaparral-racing.com

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HelzBelz

HipHopLitePopMetalist
Reaction score
Just a bit of a warning. - Not a great first, and last, experience with Chaparrall.

Chaparral lists their tires like most places - they list a front tire separately, they list a back tire separately, and they list sets as well. I have nail in my rear tire, so I ordered A SET of the old Metzeler Z6, on September 14th. I paid $156.xx (awesome.. I get a great price and try a single compound to see if makes a difference in the crazy tire wear I experience in my part of the country)

I did not see a charge on my account until Sept 15th for 1.00$, then on September 16th I saw a charge for $72.xx

I emailed them because all I had was an order confirmation, that said a shipping confirm would follow.

I received an email response "that the back tire is on backorder, they already shipped the front, but not to worry I was only charged for the front." I called to explain that this is not what I ordered, and asked when the back will be available. They expect the back to be available on the 30th. (I doubt those rears will ever be available again, unless someone returns them,I guess)

They are unsympathetic to my concern that I ordered a set of tires, I did not add a rear and a front to my cart, I added the special set at the special set price (which was a lower price than adding them separately, strangely.)

I was very polite, as they were, but they didn't really get it. They won't refund my money until I return the front tire- even though it hasn't left the warehouse yet. And they are unwilling to "think outside of the box" on my dilemma (flat rear tire, no riding unless I cave and pay local prices, which I will....)

I ordered a set also. I have the front tire and contacted them yesterday about the back tire. I ordered on 9/6/16. They were quick with a response saying the rear tire is on back order with the manufacturer until the first week of October.

Fortunately, I am not in need of a tire right at this minute..

Similar experience here. I have the front and just checked on the status of the rear. It looks like it shipped and will arrive this coming Thursday (Sept 29).

That is too bad. If the tire had not left it seems reasonable for them to at least try to cancel shipment. I do know most merchandise from online vendors comes from one of a small handful of third-party warehouse distributors.

I have had good experiences with Chaparral, both on site and by mail. Their showroom (bikes and merch) is the best I've seen anywhere, and they always beat any price and have a "pit-pass" program that provides a standard discount of 5-30%, depending on margin. I also know they sold a TON of those Metz tire sets; many to folks on this forum alone. I was one of the fortunate ones that got the order in early and I had both tires inside of 48 hours. I do live close to their location, but I don't think that's where the tires came from.

I'm not involved with them other than having bought a few items there, so I really have no dog in the race. But I imagine the reluctance to issue an instant refund has to do with the fact that the order immediately goes to a third-party distributor (as it does with 'Zilla, MCsuperstore, etc).

It would have been nice of them to figure out SOMETHING for you.

Edit: Just saw ElliottM's order was 9/5; I think mine was placed 9/6.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an update- they did end up contacting me two days later, and confirmed that the order had NOT left yet for the one tire they did have, so they cancelled it. (Another two days lost...)

I ended up up with the PR 4 GT's... LOCAL- (i.e. EXPENSIVE).. but These are certainly the shit..

They really are incompetent, and pompous. Dangerous mix.

Live and learn. I am sure 95% of customers will have no problem. But not me..

Last edited by a moderator: