Charging through 12v plug on 07 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big mex

Reaction score
Ok I was trying to charger the 2007 FJR through the 12v plug with adapter and a battery tender. I hooked it up and the charger indicates nothing charging. I check the 12v plug to see if it had power. 12v plug only had power when the bike was on, it was dead when it was off. Now it has been said that the bike can be charged this way?? :unsure: The tender was checked and it works. What the heck?? If no idea I will get and install a Powerlet and place it in the location were the heat grip dial is.. Any body know the parts and #'s I need to set this up or the # to some one from Powerlet so I may order one. But lets try the fist option first..

Thanks

Big Mex

Ok I was trying to charger the 2007 FJR through the 12v plug with adapter and a battery tender. I hooked it up and the charger indicates nothing charging. I check the 12v plug to see if it had power. 12v plug only had power when the bike was on, it was dead when it was off. Now it has been said that the bike can be charged this way?? :unsure: The tender was checked and it works. What the heck?? If no idea I will get and install a Powerlet and place it in the location were the heat grip dial is.. Any body know the parts and #'s I need to set this up or the # to some one from Powerlet so I may order one. But lets try the fist option first..
Thanks

Big Mex

Welcome to the club. It sounds like you blew the 3 amp fuse for the socket. The cigarette lighter socket in the glove box is next to useless. That's why I'm rewiring it with heavier guage wire and a 15 amp fuse. Many people install Powerlet's for this very reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have power when the key is on, it's not the fuse.

Seems like you would need to rewire it to be a constant battery connection and not a switched source.

Thanks

Big Mex
https://easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/Soc...ocket_kits.html

If you have power when the key is on, it's not the fuse.
Seems like you would need to rewire it to be a constant battery connection and not a switched source.

+1 If it's on a switched circuit (only hot when ignition is on) you can't charge it through the socket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

Big Mex
I installed a pigtail directly to the battery terminals. Part cost $10. PM me if you like to see a picture.

Here's a link to the Powerlet kit for just that location. The kit comes with everything you need (very nice). I use it to charge battery, run air compressor, and power up a tankbag in the future.

The power outlet in the storage box is key on power only , so will not work for charging.

A.C.

Here's a link to the Powerlet kit for just that location. The kit comes with everything you need (very nice). I use it to charge battery, run air compressor, and power up a tankbag in the future.
The power outlet in the storage box is key on power only , so will not work for charging.

A.C.

Thanks for all the info.. I'll order the Powerlet. Looks to be the best option.. Thanks

Most chargers come with a pigtail to be attached directly to the battery. Usually with a weather cap. If you don't have one that came with your charger, you can probably buy one for cheap. Do understand that the Jastek Powerlet is not a cig lighter size, but a BMW/John Deere size that's smaller than the cig lighter version.

I have two powerlet sockets in the 'D' panel. One switched, one unswitched. both fused. If all you want to do is charge the battery, the pigtail is pretty easy and can just be wire tied out of the way when not in use. No drilling, no mounting plate, just two wires off the battery and you're done.

A.C.
Timely thread for me -- thanks for the link RoadRunner :)