Chicken Strip Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lomaxcm

Reaction score
Here is another question from a newbie to the FJR. It is not a tire post so I don't get into trouble. :D

I am not a super aggressive rider on the street so this has me a bit baffled. On my BMW R1150GS and My Ducati 998S I have about 1/16" to 1/8" chicken strip on the rear tire and about 1/4" chicken strip on the front tire. This pleases me as I know I still have tire left just in case that corner has to be pushed a little harder next time. BUT on the FJR that i just got a couple of weeks ago I have about the same 1/16" strip on the rear tire but almost NONE on the front tire. This concerns me as it looks like I could run out of front tire traction if pushed just a wee bit harder.

Do any of you find this true with your FJR's? Is this thing just so heavy that it pushes its way through the corner? :dribble:

BTW: Tire pressure on the FJR with Metzler MEZ4's is 36 front, 38 rear. I run 34 and 36 on the Duc and 36, 38 on the BMW.

Inquiring mind wants to know.

Marc

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I'd include this handy definition for those of us who don't know what the hell you're talking about...

A chicken strip is a derogatory term used to describe the width of unused tread on the rear tire of a motorcycle, typically a sport bike.

At speed, a turning motorcycle leans. The faster the turn, the farther the motorcycle leans over. As the motorcycle leans, the contact patch moves farther to the side of the tire causing wear. The chicken strip is the amount of unused wear caused by a motorcyclist being considered too chicken to go faster through a turn and thereby lean the motorcycle farther over.

This is frequently used as a derogatory term regarding inexperienced motorcyclists who are afraid to lean a motorcycle far enough to wear the edges of the tire.

Matt,

Thanks for the clarification. DOH! :) I just assumed that everyone knew that term. I guess I should use the PC term of "Using all of the tire challenged" :D

Cheers.

Marc

I have about an inch on the rear, way more on the front. Avons with 42/42. Pump 'em up and see.

Nah, I just keep seeing the reference to "chicken strip" and never made the connection. Thanks Mr. Obvious! :huh:

Funny thing, I was talking about the same concept with my buddy last night. We were comparing how much rubber we WEREN'T using. Now I know the slang!

Some of us just aren't hip to the groove, ya dig? I knew that you would. B)

I have a few inches on each side. I guess mine is more of a turkey strip.

All that leaning and turning... it sounds too dangerous. I think I'll just go straight.

-BD

1/4 inch front, zero on the rear, Avon Azzaro's front and rear, 42psi on both ends.

You will touch the peg feelers down before you run out of rubber.

"Ride it like you stole it"

Skippy

There are so many variables at work (weight, tire pressure, tire profile, tire wear, speeds, etc.) I don't think one can definitively use chicken strips as a reliable indicator of how hard one is pushing or how close one is to the traction limits.

Unless you've done major suspension mods, you're simply not going to be able to push an FJR over far enough to run out of tire without grounding stuff. I wouldn't worry about it.

- Mark

I didn't think of checking the front...but now my rear strips are gone. So, I would say that you are safe taking them all the way out (no sliding here).

The service writer at the dealership here (who is an FJR owner) has told me that some rear tires are so extremely used (yep, on the FJR) that rubber is rolling up the outside WALL of the tire!

About a 1/2" both front and rear; just about as far as I want to go. (must be getting old or something :D [original Bridgestone 020's])

My personal belief is that that last bit of tire is better left for the race track. Its nice to know that the bike is capable . . . but nobody should ride like that on the street.

That said, if you are going on a very sporting ride on a lightly loaded bike you might drop your tire pressures a couple psi for a bigger footprint as the tire deforms while rolled over. Just remember to add some air before loading up for the next big tour.

Reminds me, has anyone put any race take-offs on their FJR?? Take-offs can often be had for a song at the track, and seeing as how Yamaha sized the FJR tires to match what all the open class bikes are running at the track, selection should be plentiful. Pre-toasted chicken strips, with lots of tread in the middle . . . . I've found that race take-offs also have decent wear characteristics for the street. I think its due to the slight hardening of the tire from the extreme thermal cycles, but they still grip better than most street tires.

An INCH! WTF? No curves in Minnihaha????
Far, far to often you get well over in a curve here and find

1. gravel

2. tar snake

3. 2X4

4. farm goo

5. raccoon mush

6. LEO

Been surprised enough to where finding the nth degree of lean just isn't worth it. And still haven't gone down. You guys wanna explore the Outer Limits, have at it. I would rather have a safety margin to work with should the shit hit the fan, thanks. ;)

In aviation they refer to 'Performance Envelope' as a measure of capabilities and design of an aircraft. PE measurements encompass how close you are to the limits in all axis as well as limits of the machine's physical design.

When using 50% of PE you have enough reserve in which to recover, perform avoidance or have a little fun and remain safe. As you approach 90% PE you have very little margin left. At 100% or greater you are essentially out of control and crashing is imminent.

When you are on a public road and running to the edge of the chicken stripes, how much Performance Envelope have you used up? How much reserve is left for the nasty surprises that radman mentions? (Whazzup with radman having another lucid moment :haha: ) The closer you run to 100% PE the closer you are to having a Blue Cross/Blue Shield moment.

Alan

It's also a matter of how you handle your cornering. Are you moving the bike under you or are you moving into the corner side of the learn so that the bike can stay more upright at any given speed?

You can eat up a lot of cornering clearance if you use slow-speed (MSF) techniques at higher speeds. Move around on the bike and get your shoulder into the curve.

The closer you run to 100% PE the closer you are to having a Blue Cross/Blue Shield moment.
I agree with Alan and thus this is why the question was posed. On my other bikes I feel that at the most I am running at 70% leaving something for the unexpected. With the front tire on the FJR looking (subjective) like it is at 90% is my concern. I will play with tire pressures and some more suspension setup and just take it a bit easier on the FJR than I would on the other bikes.

Ride Safe.

Marc

With the front tire on the FJR looking (subjective) like it is at 90% is my concern. I will play with tire pressures and some more suspension setup and just take it a bit easier on the FJR than I would on the other bikes.
Since the FJR can safely drag its pegs, and you aren't; I wouldn't worry about the chicken strips. I've never dragged a peg (dang it) and have no chicken strip on the rear. Haven't looked at the front lately.