Clip-on wheel weights, found them

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevet

Reaction score
Been awhile since I've been here, hope all is well with everyone...

I recently wore out my PR2's and installed a pair of PR4's. We used new stick-on weights to balance them, nothing out of the ordinary for weight amounts. Cleaned the rims really well prior to sticking them in place.

I lost 2 of the 3 weights (.25oz each) on the front rim. The 4 needed on the rear are still there and in fine shape.

I wanted to go back to the OEM style clip-on weights. Parts Unlimited does carry them. spec'ing the FJR and a couple other bikes. Go to the 2014 Parts Unlimited "Street" catalog, page 969, this link might take you to the PDF of that page-

https://asset.lemansnet.com/static/sites/partsunlimited/flipper/2014_Street/EBB2D2049A12D9915AFDBF9C1EBEB13C/14DragPUStreet_01.pdf

The table on the right side of the page, the FJR has three weights available at the bottom of the table. A couple of them are shown as photos above the table.

Parts Unlimited part numbers-

0221-0006, 10 gram (.35oz)

0221-0007, 20 gram (.7oz)

0221-0008, 30 gram (1.05oz)

Sold as a 10-pack of weights for a suggested price of $3.95/10-pack. I just had a local shop order a pack of 10's and 20's for me. I'm done with the stick-on versions.

And yes, I can indeed feel the unbalanced wheel. There's a fore/aft shimmy right at about 35mph, and then everything above 70 has undue vibes that were not there with the old tires.

I'm posting this message because as I started my search for these on the interweb, I was finding lots of messages about not having luck finding them. Hope this helps the next guy/gal.

Steve.

Error, pricing may be per individual weight, not per 10-pack. Check with your retailer. That table on the catalog page does show priced as each, should be "ships as a 10-pack".

Don't know but it looks like a measurement of the center rib height to see if it is higher or lower than 10mm might be a first step or you could contact the company directly and ask them.

Clip-on can't be installed/removed without making a big gash in the paint. They're difficult to cut down for the good balance. I shit-can them on the first tire change. I've lost 1 stick-on in close to 50 tire changes and that was my fault. The weight was like half a square and I bumped it.

You have me curious now. I am on my third front tire in 25L miles, weights have been removed and replaced each time and I don't remember any marks on the rim and I clean them almost every weekend during my weekend once-over.

Follow-up. Got two 10 gram (.7oz) clip-ons installed to replace the 5/8 ounce (.625oz) of stickies (two quarter oz and a half quarter), and boy are things rolling nice again. Slow speed shimmy is gone, and it's easy rolling up to the century mark. I did not seek a re-balance, figuring they are at least as good as, if not better than, the average MC shop installation. I'm stickin' with the clip-ons, I'm done with stickies.

And no marks on my rims from when we took off the original clip-on weights back a couple seasons ago.

I use the clip-ons as well, thought I was the only one. I buy new ones every once-in-a-while and grind them down to get just the right weight I need. I think it's a cleaner look.

The bugger about stick-ons now is that apparently lead ones have been discontinued. As the OP said, you have to grind the steel ones down, rather than just snipping them with a diagonal plier. Thanks for the clip-on sources!

The wheel is going to get a scratched while changing a tire or normal wear and tear.

Clean up the rim before the stick on weight and find a can of paint close to the right color.

Touch up and spray a little over the weights. Never lost a weight and the wheel looks spiffy.

Caught a slung weight off a spinning rear of the guy in front of me, right in the face shield.