Clutch soak aftermath

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR30FAN

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I did the clutch soak on my Gen II with 42,000 miles and followed procedures in mctrophy post.    Took each plate out and in sequence but did not remove last plate retained by a wire. I used castrol motorcycle 10w40 oil for 2 hours then reassembled carefully ensuring pressure plate was centered and torquing in criss cross pattern in multiple steps.  Everything worked fine for a few hours then clutch started slipping before it completely died.  The lever and shifter work fine but the clutch doesn’t grab...the gear indicator works fine also.  It seems to me its burned out.  Any suggestions? I guess I’ll have to replace the whole set if plates

I did the clutch soak on my Gen II with 42,000 miles and followed procedures in mctrophy post.    Took each plate out and in sequence but did not remove last plate retained by a wire. I used castrol motorcycle 10w40 oil for 2 hours then reassembled carefully ensuring pressure plate was centered and torquing in criss cross pattern in multiple steps.  Everything worked fine for a few hours then clutch started slipping before it completely died.  The lever and shifter work fine but the clutch doesn’t grab...seems to me its burned out.  Any suggestions? I guess I’ll have to replace the whole set if plates

Took cover off and I see pressure plate is moving when I depress clutch lever so that is working fine. The issue must then be related to the plates, maybe I messed up plate assembly sequence somehow. I’m gonna put them back in the opposite direction and see. I might need to buy a new set. 

Auuuuuuuuuh, what type of oil did you put in. that would be the first place to look. Check the cirlce to see if it is energy conserving.

Good luck, Dave

Found the issue! The spring plate retainer bolts became loose. I could spin them with my fingers.  I bought a small torque wrench and torqued them to 70.8 in lbs which is equivalent to 8NM.  Thankfully the retainer bolts stayed on.  If one bolt fell into the case the outcome would have been catastrophic.  This was a “duh” moment

Glad you got it sorted out.  I didn't think it was likely that the disks suddenly went bad.

I assume that the clutch was becoming grabby is what prompted you to do the soak?  Usually these issues would present themselves before 42,000 miles.  They don't usually come back.

Thanks for your help.  I’d never messed with the clutch but it had been increasingly clunky so I bled the line and replaced the lever bushing as well.  I figured those bolts were snug but without a torque wrench in that low torque Range I ended up under torquing them.  At least I got stranded in the city.